Game Day Pies vs Dogs AKA the Travis Cloke Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should add I was a fan of Lipinski’s game. I’ve always liked him but his tackling sucked, which was apparently the feedback he was given last year when dropped.

Was obvious he had bulked up a bit from preseason footage. Looks much more like an AFL footballer now. Super quick hands and he looked on edge.

Gave him votes. Was excellent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Loving Baz, Treloar and Lip roaming the wings. Unbelievable game from Baz without entering a centre bounce, he is a weapon.

Williams is quickly becoming one of the better defenders in the game. Not a weak link in his game, his dance around two blokes in def to a 55m pin point pass to English? In a hole surrounded by 3 oppo players was unreal.

I agree we didn’t use the middle of the ground as much as I’d have liked last night, we’re usually pretty happy to take the risky options. Pies did shut it down pretty well though.

Moving on from the rather enjoyable display from the peanut gallery.

Anyone think Treloar might have been asked to play more of an impact role rather than as an accumulator?
I think Treloar was just asked to get through the game as best he could, considering all the circumstances. Going forward though, he'll no doubt fit into the puzzle somewhere.

I think Treloar was just asked to get through the game as best he could, considering all the circumstances. Going forward though, he'll no doubt fit into the puzzle somewhere.
Yeah fair enough. Don't think he's the type to thrive on sticking it up people. The Pies supporters who booed him were disgraceful.

Still building his fitness after his calf injury too. Will be a gun for us going forward. With both he and Bailey Smith at their peak we’ll be exciting to watch.

People aren't giving enough credit to Collingwoods backline. Moore, Howe, Maynard, Crisp, Roughead, Quaynor is a serious defensive unit.
Honestly not a weak link among them. Even Noble had the ball on a string, with most of his touches seeming to come from defence despite playing on a wing. It's tough to score against the Pies, couldn't think of another defence with as many big names in it. Any of Moore, Howe, Maynard and Crisp is capable of AA this year, and Quaynor is improving rapidly.

Roughead was great. Wish we kept him instead of Trengove.
I think it took finding the right system for him, as he seems to suit the Pies far better than he did for us in his last year or two. Also doesn't help that we needed him to play ruck/forward at the time, whereas he seems to be thriving in a purely defensive role which we could really use him for now.

Moore is next level. Him, McGovern and Andrews are so far ahead of the next defender.

Steven May at his best imo is also in that category. His body strength and positioning is as good as it gets in the AFL. Very good defender.

Andrews and McGovern as good as they are can be vulnerable. They both love to cover for team mates and intercept as good as anyone, but they don't have the closing speed like Moore does so you can attack through there direct opponent.

Andrews for instance doesn't have the closing speed to cover Naughton and Naughtons got a hold of him several times (3 goals in the wet at ballarat and 2.4 in brisbane - should have kicked 4-5 goals).

Moore probably the most complete defender in the comp with his speed, intercepting and rebounding ability is legit freak level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big positive for me was Naughton and Bruce seemingly finding a little bit of chemistry. That mark Bruce took deep in the pocket was really telling - Naughton stayed down and created an opportunity for Bruce rather than flying for the same ball and spoiling each other

Bruce played a great game relative to his performances last year, hopefully he will continue to gel with the mids.

I have been chips in on English from the get go, last night made me wish I had more chips

Treloar had a whatever game, to be honest I wish we had got Stephenson.

Wallis had a shocker.

Williams is a gun.

2 biggest pluses for me last night were;

- Martin and English as a rucking unit. Nullified Grundy and did heaps around the ground. English is a weapon forward and Martin is smart and a big help behind the ball. Only going to get better. Makes us so much stronger structurally.

-Backline looked a bit of a worry on paper but performed admirably. With Crozier, Wood. Cordy and JJ in the wings, we should build a serious defensive unit by year's end. Williams, Crozier and Daniel will be a great counterattacking combo.

Yesterday was evident that we need to find a long term ruckman but Stef has given us a year or two to find that. I honestly don’t think English is ever going to be able to take that mantle and grow into a top 5 ruckman due to his ruckwork struggles. I do think he can be the best ruck/forward in the comp and showed flashes of that last night.
You can find them. Flynn, Briggs, Meek, Sam Hayes all getting a little taste and might want more opportunity.

Last edited:
Just as Fletcher Roberts was for a briefest of moments in time. Jordan Roughead is a good roll player in an exceptional back six that covers the deficiencies that were always evident when he played fb for us.

Im happy that he has found a nice niche for himself, but If he continued in our at times shambolic back 6, this board would screaming that an untried Ryan Gardner should replace him in the best 22.

Last edited:
Just like Fletcher Roberts was for a briefest of moment in time. Jordan Roughead is a good roll player in an exceptional back six that covers the deficiencies that were always evident when he played fb for us.

Im happy that he has found a nice niche for himself, but If continued in our at times shambolic back 6, this board would screaming that an untried Ryan Gardner should replace him in the best 22.

Slow defenders just cannot be chosen in our system. Closing speed is probably the most important attribute our defence requires.

Roughy is allowed to play man on man in the Collingwood system. And unlike the McCartney years he has help from team mates who chop off the leading lanes.

Just as Fletcher Roberts was for a briefest of moments in time. Jordan Roughead is a good roll player in an exceptional back six that covers the deficiencies that were always evident when he played fb for us.

Im happy that he has found a nice niche for himself, but If continued in our at times shambolic back 6, this board would screaming that an untried Ryan Gardner should replace him in the best 22.

Imagine if Gardner mis-judged a straight forward spoiling attempt like Roughy's on English in the last qtr. He would have been lynch mobbed on here.

Watching the replay now, up to half time couldn’t see too well from level 4 last night. Wallys role has been fine actually, got plenty of opportunities but he’s just been so close, missed a couple of goals dropped a couple of marks. Think it was more a case of him just not playing well nothing to do with there not being a spot for him, which is good. Hunters been better than I remembered too.

Imagine if Gardner mis-judged a straight forward spoiling attempt like Roughy's on English in the last qtr. He would have been lynch mobbed on here.

Oh, Ive seen it.

Some of the things that he has done in his brief career thus far have been the stuff of tragicomedy.

Hopefully he is starting to round the corner to more serious fare.

I’ve really really liked Bruce’s work up the ground too, been quite impressive. Both Naughty and him looked much more comfortable together. They didn’t get into each other’s way, usually had one working up the ground and one deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back