Rumour Pies vs Dogs to open Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's a Friday night it won't be the season opener as the Thursday night Carlton/Richmond fixture will be there. I definitely see this happening though.

The AFL article suggests and Gordon is pushing for the match to be the season opener, as are we, and so it'd replace the Richmond v Carlton game as a season opener.

I think that the Dogs deserve more MCG action, and more Friday night action. With the sort of football they've been playing, we all deserve to see more of them. But I agree with Ant85, that a Dogs v Pies opener would attract 15-20,000 people less than a Tigers v Blues opener. Surely the stadium should be as full as possible for the first game of the season...

The AFL article suggests and Gordon is pushing for the match to be the season opener, as are we, and so it'd replace the Richmond v Carlton game as a season opener.

I think that the Dogs deserve more MCG action, and more Friday night action. With the sort of football they've been playing, we all deserve to see more of them. But I agree with Ant85, that a Dogs v Pies opener would attract 15-20,000 people less than a Tigers v Blues opener. Surely the stadium should be as full as possible for the first game of the season...
Sometimes, revenue and crowds should not always dictate fixture if it helps clubs grow their membership and WB based on this years form deserves more Friday games and good to play in the opener.
Surely Carlton don't deserve it based on this year's form.

The headline is confusing, but nothing that Gordon actually says means we are replacing Carlton-Richmond. I think we just want to 'kick off' our respective seasons against each other.

"We’ve made a specific request for a round one game against Collingwood, and Collingwood have requested that too," Gordon said.

Eddie seems to suggest it would be a Saturday arvo game at the 'G. I think most would agree with his comments of Etihad not being a good way to start the season.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/we...at-mcg-from-2016/story-fnelctok-1227538091297

Eddie McGuire said:
"I think everyone likes the Carlton-Richmond game (on the Thursday night). I’m very strong on these things — you create your own spot,” McGuire said on Triple M on Tuesday morning.

"(Bulldogs president) Peter Gordon and myself and the respective CEOs ... we think it’d be great to have two Melbourne teams.

“Collingwood has played interstate teams at Etihad in the last few years, which hasn’t exactly opened the season up with an explosion, so we’d like to get a big game, two Melbourne sides, at the MCG.”

McGuire says the values of the two clubs are in line, with both keen on “making it a real community day”.

“We’ve got lots of razzamatazz in Round 1 but I think it’s important we maybe get back to a Saturday afternoon game, MCG, Bulldogs and Magpies and away we go,” he said.

“It could be great.”

I guess it could just be some ambiguity or confusion over THE season opener versus OUR season opener. Time will tell.

Sometimes, revenue and crowds should not always dictate fixture if it helps clubs grow their membership and WB based on this years form deserves more Friday games and good to play in the opener.

I still can't figure out if it's the season opener they're proposing, or just our own opening game of the season.

Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly that Carlton don't deserve to be anywhere near the season opener. The Tigers are insufferable on so many levels, but I do think that they deserve to keep that spot. Maybe Tigers v Bulldogs?

It's probably just our season opener

Yeah, I think you might be right, but the wording from the AFL website is a bit ambiguous: 'Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs have requested to kick off the 2016 AFL fixture with a blockbuster clash at the MCG, Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has confirmed.' The article doesn't get much clearer after that!

AFL is just about Making Money so Crowds and Revenue is everything

I'm happy for the Carlton v Richmond fixture to kick off the year. Don't think we gain much from it tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back