Review Pies well beaten (Giants 122-75 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed it should have happened 10 minutes into the first quarter.

I think the issue was that such an early move would have been admitting that they got it wrong at selection.

I get the sense that Bucks is more of a ‘double down’ type character than happily or quickly admitting that he got something wrong and making the necessary changes.

Granted he’s admitted being wrong about stuff in the past, but it’s usually with the benefit of lengthy hindsight. Like many of us, I don’t think he’s naturally inclined to do so in the moment.

The problem is how quickly a quarter unfolds. You really need to wait to the break before making huge structural changes. Each player has been instructed how to play their man down back. Midfield was the first problem and appleby was the collateral.

Pendles lacks courage eh?

Guy has surgery during the week and plays with a broken finger yet he lacks courage?

FMD there are some s**t posters here.

Logged on just to quote this post. Every time we lose people take pot shots at the captain. It’s a disgrace. As Kirby said he had surgery on a broken finger and apparently lacks courage. What a load of horse s**t.

We don’t deserve to play finals on that form
Our form since the bye is woeful. I think top 4 is unlikely. Perhaps an Elimination final.
It’s not our year unfortunately. Would need to win next Friday to have any chance.

There were some very tired fellows out there and the Giants jumped us. Injuries etc are taking their toll. They will bounce back. Bucks was pretty good about it all. But I would like to see him eliminate the phone breaking episodes. Not a good way to express frustration. In soccer it would be a warning or card to the coach. Time to eliminate that stuff in AFL.

Ikr everyone should just be a robot.

Rumours that hes no good at selection are grossly exaggerated. Generally he gets it right, especially in recent seasons. But this week he got it wrong.
I didn't know team selections are a rumour? I dont listen to rumours anyhow. But I do agree with youI that it's not that bad. I was just extremely upset about spending a fortune going to Sydney to witness a very ordinary performance.

Breaking things as a response to frustration should not be condoned. This is the culture in our community we are trying to change. Clarkson was rightly embarrassed when he punched the wall and changed. I can't see how it helps with Buckley's coaching to show such a lack of control. Soccer has it right on that score.

Breaking things as a response to frustration should not be condoned. This is the culture in our community we are trying to change. Clarkson was rightly embarrassed when he punched the wall and changed. I can't see how it helps with Buckley's coaching to show such a lack of control.

He lacks aggression and shirks physical contact. I think that’s a valid, factual observation.

Good on him for playing with a broken finger, and any injury really. You are right, that took some courage.

But let’s not put it up there with Milane levels of courage who played with a broke thumb and had it re broken each game for about 8 weeks straight in 1990.

Nor is it as courageous as Didak playing with a rip pectoral muscle in 2010.

Now I’d say aish, who battles on with cooked shoulders and takes some hits and gets back up is more courageous an effort than Pendles finger.

There is usually a key example of Pendles shirking contact almost every week, yet no one calls him out on it. Levi copped it vs north. But Pendles does that all the time.

The stand out for me this year, though I could name more recent efforts, was the game vs Richmond.

Grimes was after a ground ball in the middle, Pendles had the option to poleaxe him with a hip and shoulder (an option adams would have gladly taken) or lay a good tackle and force a ball up. He did neither and grimes bounced off him like Pendles was a 12 year old.

I wish I could post the vid on here, cause it’s actually the most weak effort I’ve ever seen from Collingwood captain. Happened in first qtr with 7:35 on the clock for anyone interested to see it
You clearly have no idea and you are not even a Pies supporter. You were nowhere to be seen after the win last week.

I think you are outing yourself as a Tigers supporter from your example. You must have posted it on the Tigers board under your real identity.

The media coverage is a little annoying. Suddenly our outs are not relevant and it's all about the Giants missing their stars. We have flogged the Giants when all five of those blokes were up and running. We were poor and they were hungry and hard at it but please don't tell me our defensive and forward outs didn't impact us. Moore , Langdon and Dunn would have been very handy to cover the three talls up forward and Greenwood adds some extra much needed grunt in our back half. We had two very inexperienced blokes back there giving away cms. and kgs. to their opponents. Stephenson, Elliott, Reid and Beams fit and healthy add real impact to our forward half and midfield. Not excuses-just simple facts.
The fact is we didn't have to have defenders giving away centimeters. We could have played Scharenberg or Goldsack but Appleby was selected to play in defence.

You clearly have no idea and you are not even a Pies supporter. You were nowhere to be seen after the win last week.

I think you are outing yourself as a Tigers supporter from your example. You must have posted it on the Tigers board under your real identity.
I recommend the ignore function. It’s working beautifully for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is we didn't have to have defenders giving away centimeters. We could have played Scharenberg or Goldsack but Appleby was selected to play in defence.
Absolutely right. We didn’t just lose it at the selection table - our effort in the 1st was piss poor. But our selection decisions sure went a hell of a way to us losing that game.

I’d still back him to out mark Maynard, Crisp or Howe.
1on1 absolutely. But who would you rather take our best Defender, Cameron or Mumford? Cameron easily.

You send your best defender to Cameron, and for a player like Mummy you hope your team defence handles it. Literally if Mummy doesn’t get absolutely perfect delivery, he would be essentially useless.

I would risk mummy getting off the chain to have Roughy on Cameron. Because, lets be honest, whens the last time Mummy ever got off the chain? He would have to spend a lot of time in the ruck anyways, as Grundy was putting up huge numbers.

1on1 absolutely. But who would you rather take our best Defender, Cameron or Mumford? Cameron easily.

You send your best defender to Cameron, and for a player like Mummy you hope your team defence handles it. Literally if Mummy doesn’t get absolutely perfect delivery, he would be essentially useless.
Depends on who our best defender is. I think Roughead would be a poor matchup for Cameron anyways, Cameron would have him covered for pace and agility and kicked a bag anyways.

I was watching the pre-game telecast and they panned to Mayne giving Varcoe, Crocker and Brown a gee up. I looked at that group and thought that's our forward line there and we're in trouble. Then down back we went too small. Howe in his first game back from a lengthy layoff was on the leading goal kicker in the comp. Our injuries have killed us and we just don't have the quality in the 22 to be consistently competitive right now. I haven't lost hope. If we get our best team on the field we can compete with anyone. That needs to be our focus leading into the finals.

Breaking things as a response to frustration should not be condoned. This is the culture in our community we are trying to change. Clarkson was rightly embarrassed when he punched the wall and changed. I can't see how it helps with Buckley's coaching to show such a lack of control. Soccer has it right on that score.
right we should be communists, no private property so you can't break anything because it's everyone's, also of course you can't expect to get wealthy just because you work hard or have some talents. IT'll be so great jsut like China, Do you know they have started this new system over there, the central bureau or whatever it's called remove "privileges" if you are "antisocial" like train travel etc. None of this degenerate individualism and of course anger is bad and so un-PC.

Logged on just to quote this post. Every time we lose people take pot shots at the captain. It’s a disgrace. As Kirby said he had surgery on a broken finger and apparently lacks courage. What a load of horse s**t.
I agree, but it really annous me that when you suggest it's time for a champion inside mid to become a champion wingman, you cop flack.

Breaking things as a response to frustration should not be condoned. This is the culture in our community we are trying to change. Clarkson was rightly embarrassed when he punched the wall and changed. I can't see how it helps with Buckley's coaching to show such a lack of control.
Yep we have a massive phone breaking culture in our community

The media coverage is a little annoying. Suddenly our outs are not relevant and it's all about the Giants missing their stars. We have flogged the Giants when all five of those blokes were up and running. We were poor and they were hungry and hard at it but please don't tell me our defensive and forward outs didn't impact us. Moore , Langdon and Dunn would have been very handy to cover the three talls up forward and Greenwood adds some extra much needed grunt in our back half. We had two very inexperienced blokes back there giving away cms. and kgs. to their opponents. Stephenson, Elliott, Reid and Beams fit and healthy add real impact to our forward half and midfield. Not excuses-just simple facts.

When we win the Media Say Nothing but When we lose then they can't shut up about us.

I just don't read or watch what the Knobs in the Media Says

Remove this Banner Ad

Back