Review Pies well beaten (Giants 122-75 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Really not sure of his position, just recall the interview on the radio recently. Was really interesting and agree has been there for a while.
Not sure I would want to argue with Clarko though, still remember the fist in the coaches box.:D
Think someone in Adelaide might remember a bit of biffo...

Huge shout out to the NSW Collingwood Supporters. First time at Giants stadium. Travel to the ground a little stressful but once there, plenty of complimentary snack food which was needed to absorb the alcohol, which was needed due to the footy score.

Thanks for a good feed, not so much the game.

Not down and out yet. We can win against the tiges on Fri. I'll be first in line. GO PIES.

If there is no flag for us this year which I agree with then the season is over. Finals appearances are moot and pointless, may as well take our bat and ball and go home.
Whilst there's life there's hope. You can make a good case for every other team not being flag worthy, but someone has to win it. It's not going to be won until September and it will simply be whichever team gets it together and has a bit of luck at the right time.

Whilst there's life there's hope. You can make a good case for every other team not being flag worthy, but someone has to win it. It's not going to be won until September and it will simply be whichever team gets it together and has a bit of luck at the right time.

Luck, when was the last time Collingwood had luck of the good variety? No we have to do it purely on merit. And I agree while we are still in it mathematically it is highly unlikely but if we aint gonna win the cup as I was replying to then there's no point - only from a developmental point of view.

Luck, when was the last time Collingwood had luck of the good variety? No we have to do it purely on merit. And I agree while we are still in it mathematically it is highly unlikely but if we aint gonna win the cup as I was replying to then there's no point - only from a developmental point of view.
The Milne bounce was pretty lucky? So was drawing with West Coast, causing Essendon to miss an extra week.

We are in it up to our necks. Form can return very quickly.

I recommend the ignore function. It’s working beautifully for me.
Especially for the germs that are around.

Good move jmac.

You clearly have no idea and you are not even a Pies supporter. You were nowhere to be seen after the win last week.

I think you are outing yourself as a Tigers supporter from your example. You must have posted it on the Tigers board under your real identity.

Again, I must confirm I’m a life long pies man. And as for last week after the win, my account was still suspended as I breached the forum rules the week before when we lost to Hawthorn.

I stand by everything I said about Pendlebury. Seriously, compare his physicality to any captain we’ve had ever. Just look at the last 5 great tough captains we’ve had - Maxwell, Burns, Brown, Shaw and Williams. He doesn’t come close to matching them for physicality, or courage.

Why do we continually bomb it deep into the forward 50?! It's not working!

On Saturday, there was a few reasons we bombed.

GWS defensive set up was great. They gave us no room to move and their zone inside def 50 was communicating well and working as a unit.

Even when we forced a turnover in mid field, and tried to transition, most of our fwds couldn’t get separation from their direct defender. So our players continually resorted to bombing it long.
Our inability to transition quickly and score from turnovers has been well documented since about round 10. Which is the result of our lack of pace thru the midfield and teams adjusting how they play us defensively. They slow us up and give our ball users little option but to bomb long to a contest and we hope for the best.

You could also put some blame on the fwds for not leading to the right spots at the right time.

Another reason for bombing blindly was GWS physically intimidated our players in the midfield contest. Once pies players started playing with fear they resorted to long bombs (mainly cause mummy was looking to take people out).

But mostly, as gws got away to such a great start, we bombed because gws structured up so that we had no option but to bomb. They zoned and flooded back so well that there was little space for fwds to lead up into.

The Milne bounce was pretty lucky? So was drawing with West Coast, causing Essendon to miss an extra week.

We are in it up to our necks. Form can return very quickly.

Anomalies, not the norm. Point being we should not rely on luck coz that rarely works - if there is any team that has to do it on merit and by weight of numbers it's us.

Again, I must confirm I’m a life long pies man. And as for last week after the win, my account was still suspended as I breached the forum rules the week before when we lost to Hawthorn.

I stand by everything I said about Pendlebury. Seriously, compare his physicality to any captain we’ve had ever. Just look at the last 5 great tough captains we’ve had - Maxwell, Burns, Brown, Shaw and Williams. He doesn’t come close to matching them for physicality, or courage.
The thing is suppoesdly the captains role has changed from purely leading by example to being expected to direct traffic in a shifting more complex structure. Thus the pure bull may no longer be the captain you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sort of talk reminds me of Robbie McEwen being asked why he can't ride fast up mountains. His response, "I don't have to. I can sprint."

Similarly for Pendlebury, he doesn't necessarily have the physical bang and crash approach, because he doesn't have to - time and space are his progeny. But like any midfielder who will go past 300 games, he has put himself in plenty of danger.

I did like the little snipe you handed Bucks via omission. Quality Trav.

This sort of talk reminds me of Robbie McEwen being asked why he can't ride fast up mountains. His response, "I don't have to. I can sprint."

Similarly for Pendlebury, he doesn't necessarily have the physical bang and crash approach, because he doesn't have to - time and space are his progeny. But like any midfielder who will go past 300 games, he has put himself in plenty of danger.

I did like the little snipe you handed Bucks via omission. Quality Trav.

One of the first times I saw Pendles, I watched him shift off the bodyline just before he got to the ball and got contact, pluck the footy to his side and get off a clean handball to a teammate in the clear. My reaction was: it might have worked this time, but jesus that's soft and unsustainable. Got to coach that out of him. He'll be found out for that soft rubbish.

What we've found out is that for Pendles it is a sustainable attacking weapon. You wouldn't want other players to copy, because it takes Pendlesesque levels of judgement and ball handling. Maybe there is some truth that you don't want your captain and head role model to be a player who can play by his own rules and ignore the most basic rule of bodylining the footy, but you sure as hell can't call him soft for routinely executing a move that is a weapon. It's a move that takes a highly applauded bash and crash that results in no advantage - a ball up, and turns it into a clean possession for a teammate in the clear.

One of the first times I saw Pendles, I watched him shift off the bodyline just before he got to the ball and got contact, pluck the footy to his side and get off a clean handball to a teammate in the clear. My reaction was: it might have worked this time, but jesus that's soft and unsustainable. Got to coach that out of him. He'll be found out for that soft rubbish.

What we've found out is that for Pendles it is a sustainable attacking weapon. You wouldn't want other players to copy, because it takes Pendlesesque levels of judgement and ball handling. Maybe there is some truth that you don't want your captain and head role model to be a player who can play by his own rules and ignore the most basic rule of bodylining the footy, but you sure as hell can't call him soft for routinely executing a move that is a weapon. It's a move that takes a highly applauded bash and crash that results in no advantage - a ball up, and turns it into a clean possession for a teammate in the clear.

There is nothing wrong with Pendles doing it as his bread and butter way but sometimes it is required he put his head over it and take one for the team but very rarely will he. Its not like he small if he hit in hard at 191cm and 90+ kg he wouldn't come off 2nd best too often.

As I said only needs to do it situational when the moments required like when playing a team who is physically bashing us up you need your leaders to stand up physically.
Bucks used to cop a lot of crap from the unwashed for being too outside and using his weapons, but he often went when he had too and had no qualms putting his body on the line or make his physical presence felt.

It's just something Pendles could add to his game especially now he is ageing, that and lack of goals for such a talented player are his two flaws that separate him from the Buckley tier imo.

There is nothing wrong with Pendles doing it as his bread and butter way but sometimes it is required he put his head over it and take one for the team but very rarely will he. Its not like he small if he hit in hard at 191cm and 90+ kg he wouldn't come off 2nd best too often.

As I said only needs to do it situational when the moments required like when playing a team who is physically bashing us up you need your leaders to stand up physically.
Bucks used to cop a lot of crap from the unwashed for being too outside and using his weapons, but he often went when he had too and had no qualms putting his body on the line or make his physical presence felt.

It's just something Pendles could add to his game especially now he is ageing, that and lack of goals for such a talented player are his two flaws that separate him from the Buckley tier imo.
I just think it takes a totally different mindset to be a crash and bash player. I don't think the answer is for Pendles to crash in, I think the answer is for him to movr to the wimg and add a crash and bash mid into the centre square.

Hopefully the team can go as far as it can all the more finals experience the better development our youth will get from it for future assaults.

Agreed there is a developmental benefit to playing finals, the group of course if they get there will believe they can win it lock, stock and barrel. And it would be beneficial to another tilt next year.

Next year.......... given the age of Pendles - reckon it's his last year at elite level and he is irreplaceable. After that it's hard to see if we're still in the window.

Just feel we've blown our window this year, of course not completely self inflicted - just the drop in form and from the outside it looks the desire is not at the same level as finals last year.

I just think it takes a totally different mindset to be a crash and bash player. I don't think the answer is for Pendles to crash in, I think the answer is for him to movr to the wimg and add a crash and bash mid into the centre square.

Not asking him to become a "bash and crash" player per'se but rather add it to his arsenal on occasions (there is a difference imo).
Its not hard for him to do this on odd occasions without changing the way he plays drastically. A contest here, a contest there and he will build confidence to harden his approach and more physical attack at man/ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back