Review Pies well beaten (Giants 122-75 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the thinking. We've been horribly stagnant coming out of defence - all year really. So we changed the aerial balance against WCE by only going with the two aerialists. Against WCE, it helped the transition and wasn't even costly when one of the talls got injured (we actually only looked particularly vulnerable in the air early when Darling was rag-dolling Moore), so they tried it again. But the issue was we weren't willing to swing a forward back and why Appleby? He doesn't offer transition. He wasn't going to help with that. In terms of run from defence, he's a stagnant small rather than a stagnant tall. And he's only just come back from a long injury and hadn't done anything on his return.
Selection was nothing short of bizarre, it's not all doom and gloom like many think though, reckon we'll bounce back OK, just need to be competitive against the Tiges, Tiges are coming good and we need to match them, we don't have to win but we need to see effort.

So you think players suddenly become rubbish when they turn 30? That’s an odd opinion mate.

Though I do agree to an extent that Beams alone won’t be a silver bullet for us. Our current problems run a little deeper than that.

Though I do think a fit Beams would help, as was the original comment.
he was starring last year for Bris, age doesn't noramlly catch up that quickly.

Actually... I agree, but disagree... he was one of our best on GF day and the second half of last year was great... considering his career was dogs*#t...
But yes, this year it’s all fallen away. And, he looks as though he is running in porridge and he can barely kick 30 m. He provides no spark. There is seriously no meaningful role for him. He is holding back others... that’s if they were fit and available!
.... Wells was a much larger waste of money.
Wells,
Mayne,
Elliot,
Goldsack,
Broomhead,
Beams,
Varcoe,
....all giving f#%k all return for investment with bleak prospects..
Add Cox, Appleby, Crocker, Wills to that dismal pile.
A serious cull is needed.
Agree except for Mayne and VArcoe who already have returned on the investment - although they might be getting past their use-by date now.

The one thing with cox I wanna see if a defender is gonna come back with the flight make him earn it you never see him stick a knee in the kidneys like a lot of the power forwards do
He's like a giraffe getting constantly attacked by hyenas, instead of a gorilla like Jono Brown that they are afraid of.

" TheGreatGrundy said:

He rarely captures my attention. He runs, kicks and handballs, but time quickly leaves both him and his actions in its wake. He is the slightest of breezes barely rustling a leaf as it ineffectually passes through space. Most of the time I don't even register that he is playing. He could certainly impact a game more than he does. "

Disagree, but beautifully said nonetheless.

Yes poetic. Who was he takling about anyway?

One might say that same back 6 kept the Giants scoreless if it wasn't for a red time goal in the second qtr, but after HT Checkers had to go back IMO, but Bucks probably thought we had to win the game and sending a key forward back wasn't going to help there.

I would've sent Checkers back mainly because he was wasn't having an impact forward.
could've sent WHE back like last week though, why not try somethign taht worked a week ago??

could've sent WHE back like last week though, why not try somethign taht worked a week ago??
It was a dumbfounding none move. Or even Mayne, who did an ok job when Howe got hurt a couple of weeks ago. If they looked like getting a kick up forward, you'd consider saying - "Oh well. We rolled the dice." But you'd still think the non-move was stupid. But when they were complete space cloggers up forward, the word stupid is way too gentle.

When you get jumped like that it isn't about saving the game, or stemming the flow, you have to win the game, I didn't agree with Bucks coaching but I get what he was doing, the game was lost before it begun IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHE to Finlayson was an absolute no brainer, particularly as he didn't look like getting near it up forward and has been a fringe forward all year and also seeing he did a solid job in defence the week before. I expected him to start there and still can't believe that he wasn't moved the moment they realised that they were playing 4 talls up forward and were effectively exploiting our lack of height. Just ridiculously bad game day coaching.
yeah doesn't seem like rocket science or sheedyesque inspirational move. Yet last week it was a bit sheedyesque.

Goldy baffles me, I don't get it, he had to play last week IMO, even more so this week.
supposedly not in good form but has the character to rise to the occasion if humanly possible. Whether he is humanly capable riht now - well can't know until you try it - no more risky than Appleby or rinse-and-repeat Crocker though.

It was a dumbfounding none move. Or even Mayne, who did an ok job when Howe got hurt a couple of weeks ago. If they looked like getting a kick up forward, you'd consider saying - "Oh well. We rolled the dice." But you'd still think the non-move was stupid. But when they were complete space cloggers up forward, the word stupid is way too gentle.
esp when we were getting a good many I50's, just needed to stop their easy goals.

When you get jumped like that it isn't about saving the game, or stemming the flow, you have to win the game, I didn't agree with Bucks coaching but I get what he was doing, the game was lost before it begun IMO.
When it's Round 18 and your forward hasn't fired a shot all year, keeping him forward shouldn't be prioritised.

I remember watching Appleby in that JLT game in Moe.. now I understand how a young player can botch the pill early in his career.. but you do expect to see glimpses of nice skills.. good run.. a long kick.. etc.

It didn't take me long to decide this bloke was s**t. Some of the s**t he did in that Moe game made him look like he was part of the scenery. He was completely s**t. Nothing has changed.

Can someone please explain to me what on earth they see in this bloke? Even if he was matched up to a bloke his size there are times where he has to contest agst blokes taller and bigger than him. The bloke transitioning the pill forward gives me heart attacks.

We have so many defenders.. blokes like Murphy Tohill Kelly.. waiting in the wings.. what is the point of having Appleby on the list. I don't understand it one bit.

Last edited:
It all comes down to our inability to finish in inside our forward half. We had more inside 50s and all the other stats are all very similar. Gws absolutely owned us in the first quarter for 8 goals to 1. In the 2nd we dominated that quater for 2 goals to 1. Last week was the same we dominated the last quater for 2.8 and just managed a 1 point win.

We still have some chance to make top 4 from here, but this current forward line set up clearly isn't working. It's late in the season but i think bucks really needs to shuffle things around up forward. Maybe play Sidebottom a perminate forward, Howe play forward, move WHE back. Try something like this. It's time for bucks to be brave and lets see if he can coach away out of this.

Given some of the s**t ive pulled in my life, thats not much of a challenge. That probably woudnt place in the top fifty percent of stupidest things ive done.

You expressed your stupid things as a percentage, which means it’s difficult to index. If the list of stupid things you did is for example two, then your comment is not as impressive as if you did 100 stupid things. (I’m aware of the contraction here.)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back