Review Pies win a thriller (Blues 87-106 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a bit surprised to hear Treloar admit post-match that they just turned up and expected it to happen today - nice to be honest but I would tend to keep that to myself if it is indeed true. Surely they've played Carlton enough to know .........

Human nature unfortunately. They’re playing in the now where Carlton are shit and not understanding the depth of the rivalry.

I was a bit surprised to hear Treloar admit post-match that they just turned up and expected it to happen today - nice to be honest but I would tend to keep that to myself if it is indeed true. Surely they've played Carlton enough to know .........
Pathetic attitude if true, hope they learn their lesson from that. Glad it didn't cost us the 4 points

In
Cox, Varcoe, Daicos

Out
Mayne (dropped) Roughhead (forever) Thomas

Reid returns to backline replacing the spud. Degoey on the ball. Daicos & Varcoe improve forward defensive pressure
Jesus Christ I’m glad you aren’t involved with selections. What part of Daicos’ 8 disposal game (whilst playing midfield no less) against Essendon made you think ‘yeah, he’s definitely playing good enough footy to demand selection!’

And dropping Roughead just screams ‘intelligent selections’.

Took the boys this week, so never in doubt. Sorry I didn’t alert you all beforehand to save you the stress.
Please be more considerate and inform us of such certainty next time. This game aged me horribly :p

I don’t think the blues terrible. I thought we were.
That was the Carltank Globetrotters out there. They won’t play that well again until 2025.

That was the Carltank Globetrotters out there. They won’t play that well again until 2025.
I agree. Last time they played like this against the pies, they backed it up with a 10 goal loss against the saints and Mr superman Cripps got his pants pulled down by John Smith.
Carlton went on to be the pathetic rabble they are for the rest of the year
Watch the Dees also play their GF against us as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In
Cox, Varcoe, Daicos

Out
Mayne (dropped) Roughhead (forever) Thomas

Reid returns to backline replacing the spud. Degoey on the ball. Daicos & Varcoe improve forward defensive pressure

Note to self. Never respond to anything posted by this person again. They clearly have zero understanding of our game or what constitutes a good footballer. :rolleyes:

Huge sigh of relief after the game. Carlton have some decent youngsters and to their credit took it up to us with virtually no senior leadership other than Cripps to set an example for them.
Happy to be sitting 6-2 after 8 rounds.
Grundy, Sidebottom and Pendles all great over 4 quarters while Treloar was important in the second half along with De Goey. Brown did some nice things again.
Langdon, Maynard, Howe and Crisp had slightly off performances.
Yet to be convinced by Wills as a mid and Reid as a forward.
Question without notice: Who was the last ruckman to win a Brownlow? Reckon Grundy could well be the next. Footscray's John Schultz is a close family friend and would love to see Brodie emulate him in winning it. Both quality people too.
Scott Wynd in 1992.

The year before was Jim Stynes also a ruckman.

For a while there, rucks were prominent winners.

The ones that won from the 70s onwards included:

Len Thompson, Gary Dempsey, Graham Moss, Graham Teasdale, Peter Moore (twice), Barry Round.

In all seriousness though, is anyone else rattled that the bottom team can almost topple us a top 2 side and make us have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get up in the last gasp? That gave me a big reality check, I thought we were going to lose, when they got 10 points up I thought the unthinkable was happening. I was ready to rope...

Thank God order was restored or that would have been it for me i'm serious.

giphy.gif

Phew, let’s all take a deep breath. Statistically we weren’t comprehensively beaten in any facet. Now that we can remove the emotion and analyse, we weren’t that bad, and they were firing on all cylinders.

Maybe we set ourselves up for disappointment by building up a potential big margin win. Any dog can have their day, and Carlton threw literally everything they had at us and we still managed to hang in with a host of players having an off day.

We kicked 16.10, had 65 inside 50’s, that gets you a win most weeks. I think a lot of people fail to seperate playing poorly and not having the whole game on your terms. As we saw, we handled their best, they couldn’t handle ours.

I’m not saying I’d like to win that way every week, but when you’re vying for top 4, a win is all that matters. If we can still win when we’re not at our clinical best, great.
Can't agree with you more. We stood up when it mattered and won. Well played boys.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scott Wynd in 1992.

The year before was Jim Stynes also a ruckman.

For a while there, rucks were prominent winners.

The ones that won from the 70s onwards included:

Len Thompson, Gary Dempsey, Graham Moss, Graham Teasdale, Peter Moore (twice), Barry Round.
Thanks Saintly.
I didn't think there was that many to be honest. Some pretty big names there.

No they got real lucky, took risk after risk the whole game and it mostly came off for them.

That said we weren't that flash.

The harder you work the luckier you get.

Carlton played the best I've seen for a while and had us against the ropes with 9 minutes to go. Good on us for an awesome finish but we shouldn't be attributing the closeness of the game to luck. Cripps is a gun and many of their players stood up e.g. Kreuzer, Silvani, Cunningham etc.

Great to win and bank the 4 points. We don't need to be playing our best this time of the year and we had 3 of our best 22 out. Carlton were brave and played some good footy.

When Phillips gave away those two stupid 50's I nearly lost my sh...
Hard to blame Phillips for trying. First one he was trying to man the mark. Second one the Carlton player changed direction to ensure Phillips was in his way. Stupid rule that players exploit to get a 100m penalty

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back