Review Pies win a thriller (Blues 87-106 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m really curious why in every close game we’ve had in the last 5 minutes we’ve had De Goey on the pine. I don’t care for rotations or minutes there’s no excuse imo that our match winner isn’t on the field when it counts

I am pretty sure he Limped off after he kicked the goal looked like his foot got caught under the carlton Player. Bucks was asked in the presser and just answered he is being managed.

It can be quite subjective. I haven't seen the replay, but my thoughts from the ground were that Carlton stopped positioning themselves around the contests in the (very) effective way they'd done for most of the game. Too many of them got sucked into the contest in the heat of the moment, depriving them the outlet/s on the outside. Some on-field leadership beyond Cripps would have, I think, helped their cause immensely.

But you're right, they certainly made some unforgivable mistakes in the last 5-10.
I was at the game and have since watched the replay. Sadly the replay doesn't show how well they positioned themselves down back. Spread really well. They had a wall that didn't allow us to play our normal game. I give them credit for that. They took risks and played off us. Hard to sustain that all game against a team like us and I think we picked up a gear into the last quarter.

Just a couple of comments on our players. I reviewed my opinion on Wills when I saw his game time. Interestingly he started off the bench (in every quarter I think) so his stats are pretty good.

Re Brown, I have been a big fan of his this year mainly because I see him as a real thinker, knows when to go in for the ball and also when to stay out to receive the handball. I think he positions himself very well.
I was one for picking him every week as I think we can afford one young player to play amongst the best. For example don't think he would have learned much from playing in the VFL yesterday.

Whilst watching the replay yesterday, the cameras showed our bench when we hit the front and those that were there clapping just like us supporters, great to see how involved they are .

More than half the team haven't reached the lofty heights of their respective 2018 seasons yet. It's why we are playing such inconsistent footy. No biggy this early in the season but I admit I'm waiting and expecting it all to click sometime soon.

Agreed. I am not alarmed about some of the players finding their feet, especially players returning from injury.

Most sport programs have a peak phase, and the AFL season goes for a while. Tweaks to the game plan, new teammates to gel with, match conditioning etc; I hope we "click" around the same time we did last year; that was perfect, final game of the year excepted.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
They completely shut down our overlap run off half back which was impressive.
After we took the lead through Browns goal they gave themselves no chance of winning the game though, they let us have Howe and Langdon loose in the center creating a wall they were never going to break through without evening up the numbers. It was a strange choice to pretty much allow us to choke them into coughing up goals. After De Goeys goal we didn’t press up as high but as you said they turned the ball over under not much pressure.
Our delivery forward across the game was disappointing, with no Cox down there to create contests in the air we really had to hit up our smalls on the lead which we only did occasionally.

I think we have definitely seen the benefit of Cox as you say.
Going long to Cox will also be an importantly unique option that we cant replicate with any other player.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was your favourite part towards the end and Jason Dunstall lets out his depressed exhale every time we executed a piece of decent play?

Because that was my favourite part

Here's the thing - I didn't feel like he was barracking at the time, and re-watching the game still feel like he was neutral. He pumped us up a lot of the time, and gave Blues players a whack where deserved. The long sigh when Flipper kicked the sealer sounded more to me like someone who was judging the defender on a poor performance than the fact Pies were in front. And - let's be fair - was a shocking kick out of defence in the context of the match.

I've heard much worse. Bruce for example during ANZAC Day :mad:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's the thing - I didn't feel like he was barracking at the time, and re-watching the game still feel like he was neutral. He pumped us up a lot of the time, and gave Blues players a whack where deserved. The long sigh when Flipper kicked the sealer sounded more to me like someone who was judging the defender on a poor performance than the fact Pies were in front. And - let's be fair - was a shocking kick out of defence in the context of the match.

So you’re saying Dunstall is a curmudgeon?
I can see that.

Bruce is a pain. He’s even worse when we’re losing.
The growls.
The faux erotic byplays he goes on with.
The questions he asks.
The feelings he gets.
The next goal is important.

The Magnificent Seven

Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
...Part of the match I did watch was the last quarter with 10 minutes on the clock until about 2 minutes on the clock. In that time Cripps touched the ball once (the OOF that resulted in Brown’s goal) and that’s your ball game. His influence on their system is as profound as Grundy’s on ours. It begs the question of why we gave the job to Wills (based on commentary) if anyone had the job at all? He was effectively 2+ years out of the game so I’d like to have an understanding of the thought process around that because he really was thrown to the wolves if he had the job. IMO, against guys like Cripps and Oliver we need to have a bigger rotation with Pendles, JDG and Sier getting the bulk of the midfield minutes otherwise we become predictable especially against teams that Grundy dominates...

Pendles was running with Cripps at that point - he'd stay close at clearances and then roll off him if we had a transition play. He didn't even try to match him for explosive pace at the contest, just followed him around and slowed him down.

With 6:05 to go, Crispy kicked the lucky roller through to make it a 5 point game. Once we had the chance to reset our centre bounces and get our game plan back into action, we could re-implement our own style and own the contest.

5 goals to 0 was as good as any 1st quarter we've had this year, and it was completely against the run of play and with 2 men down on the bench. That's a superb effort in my opinion.

The Magnificent Seven

Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you’re saying Dunstall is a curmudgeon?
I can see that.

Bruce is a pain. He’s even worse when we’re losing.
The growls.
The faux erotic byplays he goes on with.
The questions he asks.
The feelings he gets.
The next goal is important.

"You just feel like it's a regurgitated cliché don't you"

No Bruce...

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
"You just feel like it's a regurgitated cliché don't you"

No Bruce...
You think, don’t you.
The next cliche is vital.
I know it’s early, but the next cliche will be defining.
And suddenly you feel the cliche is coming.
Will it, won’t it, will it.
The next cliche will grab the bull by the horns and it will, won’t it?

The Magnificent Seven

Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think 4 or 5 weeks is extended grace, there is no reason he can't go back for a week or 2 to find form. I also get that we tend to give highbtalent types required time to get right and eventually the wheel turns just not sure I agree that it has to be in the first always.
Is there a performing 2s player or potential debutant playing well?
I dont know but that obviously needs to play a part as well.

WHE has played 3 matches and is a clear best 22 player. Was enormous in the final quarter on Saturday.

5_Flockhart

Senior List
Apr 30, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm pretty petty though. When we win a game that affects my heart rate everyone's on my radar.

He's got a history of exasperated gasps that are thinly veiled protests to a changing result. I'm packaging these in.

These days Bruce is just an average bloke. Used to be decent and now he's just like the old guy in the movie "Up" who won't let others take over.

Still waiting for him to float away

I'm pretty petty though. When we win a game that affects my heart rate everyone's on my radar.

He's got a history of exasperated gasps that are thinly veiled protests to a changing result. I'm packaging these in.

These days Bruce is just an average bloke. Used to be decent and now he's just like the old guy in the movie "Up" who won't let others take over.

Spoilers! :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Bloody hell. Crippsy looks shattered about yesterday, based on footage from the rubbish show run by Barrett, Lloyd and Jimmy Bartel, AAA.

I'll cop the ban hammer, but I truly feel sorry for the bloke. Hard to know who to compare him to, but makes me think Kouta. Massive body.

Anyone here saying we played sh!thouse yesterday, the Blues were playing out of their skins astronomically, and might have even been on the level for three and a half quarters, against a team who were five minutes from a premiership.

The Blues aren't cr@p. Lucky we don't have to play them twice.

If you will excuse me, I need to go exfoliate seven layers of skin. I feel dirty admitting all that.

5_Flockhart

Senior List
Apr 30, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bloody hell. Crippsy looks shattered about yesterday, based on footage from the rubbish show run by Barrett, Lloyd and Jimmy Bartel, AAA.

I'll cop the ban hammer, but I truly feel sorry for the bloke. Hard to know who to compare him to, but makes me think Kouta. Massive body.

Anyone here saying we played sh!thouse yesterday, the Blues were playing out of their skins astronomically, and might have even been on the level for three and a half quarters, against a team who were five minutes from a premiership.

If you will excuse me, I need to go exfoliate seven layers of skin. I feel dirty admitting all that.

I hate to admit it but after watching the footage I felt exactly the same way.

He cares about the result and he also wears a carlton jersey - It's a strange combination.

Now that you've asked the question I think he's a combination of Kouta and JDG.

Charlie Curnow is more Kouta.

I happily admit that Carlton has Improved from last season. Might win 6-7 Games at best

Charlie Curnow is more Kouta.

I happily admit that Carlton has Improved from last season. Might win 6-7 Games at best
Carlton did play well but we were well below our best.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
WHE has played 3 matches and is a clear best 22 player. Was enormous in the final quarter on Saturday.
Absolute lock.

His extra ingredient is his sublime skill, so he can appear from nowhere and put the oppposition to the sword.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club

I love Bruce. He gives games a sense that they matter with his tone and when the big moments happen I think Bruce and Anthony Hudson are the masters.

Coaches votes

CARLTON v COLLINGWOOD
10 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
7 Brodie Grundy (COLL)
5 Tom Phillips (COLL)
4 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)
2 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
2 Callum Brown (COLL)
1 Caleb Marchbank (CARL)

I would have thought Pendlebury would have had a vote.

5_Flockhart

Senior List
Apr 30, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love Bruce. He gives games a sense that they matter with his tone and when the big moments happen I think Bruce and Anthony Hudson are the masters.

Bruce in the mid 90's is untouchable. Bruce now is a bully in the box who won't let anyone take his moment and is guilty of numerous tautologies

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the intent is for the player to not be slowed down in gaining his 50 metres and to be able to play on at any stage, but they've forgotten that noone knows where the new mark is until the umpire has paced it out. So ultimately if he gets ahead of the umpire, he can probably run about 60 metres before the umpire is confident he's gone too far and calls play on and only then can blokes try to get in his path, so he can probably run another 10 metres before he is challenged - a total of about 70 metres. It's a farce.

Edit. And he's no longer kicking over the man on the mark, so add another 5 metres. And when do you get this advantage, not on the proper time wasting or burying your opponent 50s, because in those situations the umpire gets back quicker than the bloke sprinting with the ball, you get the advantage on the rubbish no effect on the game, technical 50s. It's a joke of a rule.
I understand where you are coming from. And you have some valid points.
But I think Collingwood have benefited with this rule this year, and I’ve heard nothing until now.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've watched the scum almost as long as the pies and they have always been a team that both runs with it's luck and is favoured by fortune.

This time was no different scum marks spoiled fell to their team mates time and time again, balls bounced up or run along the ground to suit their needs - it's no use getting narked by these things that is just the way it goes for the scum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back