Review Pies win a thriller (Blues 87-106 Pies)

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
To speed up the game and make it more entertaining as apparently that is what the fans want! Nice one Hocking :)
More goals lead to more commercials lead to more revenue. Just follow the money and you will get your answer. And don’t get fooled by the notion of shorter quarters for the paying public. You still going to spend the same time at the game just watch more countdown clocks.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Charlie Curnow is more Kouta.

I happily admit that Carlton has Improved from last season. Might win 6-7 Games at best
Thanks TD. Your wisdom as always, shines through. Are you going this week?

I hate to admit it but after watching the footage I felt exactly the same way.

He cares about the result and he also wears a carlton jersey - It's a strange combination.

Now that you've asked the question I think he's a combination of Kouta and JDG.

Wise sage you are. Your avatar isn't too shabby either. Just need to reframe the result from Saturday from "we should have belted them, we are in dire straits" to "remember the first Brisbane game last year? Well, Carlton are the same beast".

Last edited:

jatsad

All Australian
Jan 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can somebody explain to me the Carlton mark on the goal line that was paid a point? Maybe I’m missing something .

It was either marked behind the line which is a goal
Or marked on the line which is a point blank kick for goal
The grab was a clean one touch mark.

Have I got my facts wrong or were Carlton dudded five points?
It was clearly taken behind the line. Correct decision.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
I apologise if it has already been said but I am finding the free kick count disparity discussion particularly on the main board quite amusing. I think what a lot of people have missed is that there seems to be a correlation between the disposal count disparity and the free kick count disparity. To me that seems no accident given that as with most things in life, possession in footy is nine tenths of the law and it would seem fairly obvious to me that if you are reaching near record levels of possession, you are almost certainly going to attract more infringements from opposition players. I would have thought that to most observers that fact would be fairly obvious. Of course tribalism and bias will always ensure that there are a fair few with eyes wide shut!

5_Flockhart

Senior List
Apr 30, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
A
I apologise if it has already been said but I am finding the free kick count disparity discussion particularly on the main board quite amusing. I think what a lot of people have missed is that there seems to be a correlation between the disposal count disparity and the free kick count disparity. To me that seems no accident given that as with most things in life, possession in footy is nine tenths of the law and it would seem fairly obvious to me that if you are reaching near record levels of possession, you are almost certainly going to attract more infringements from opposition players. I would have thought that to most observers that fact would be fairly obvious. Of course tribalism and bias will always ensure that there are a fair few with eyes wide shut!

And shouldn't an even free kick count be more suspicious than a lopsided one?

Unless both teams have identical stats it would be fair to assume the free kick count should also have a disparity. Especially if one team is severely out performing the other

If you aren't as skilled or have less of the ball you commit more infringements.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

a7PIjvy.gif

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've watched the scum almost as long as the pies and they have always been a team that both runs with it's luck and is favoured by fortune.

This time was no different scum marks spoiled fell to their team mates time and time again, balls bounced up or run along the ground to suit their needs - it's no use getting narked by these things that is just the way it goes for the scum.

The harder you work, the luckier you seem to be. They just out-worked us.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Carlton have beaten us way too often recently. Which isn’t very often but still way too often!!!!!!

Did I hear going into the game it was 9-2 since 2013? Definitely 2 times too many.

I think the intent is for the player to not be slowed down in gaining his 50 metres and to be able to play on at any stage, ...

If that’s the case, if a player with the 50 decides he wants to zig zag (to try and trap players in the protected zone), shouldn’t that be called play on? And how much is he allowed to zig zag? 1 meter? 2 meter? 10 meters? Could he run over to the interchange, down a Gatorade, and then waltz to where the mark is set?

As you say, a farce!

Probably the best defensive strategy would be for a downfield player to run to the 45ish meter mark before the umpire arrives, and stand stationary with his hands up as if he’s on the mark, and if the umpire wants to run past to pull him back more, then that player follows the umpire.

If that’s the case, if a player with the 50 decides he wants to zig zag (to try and trap players in the protected zone), shouldn’t that be called play on? And how much is he allowed to zig zag? 1 meter? 2 meter? 10 meters? Could he run over to the interchange, down a Gatorade, and then waltz to where the mark is set?

As you say, a farce!

Probably the best defensive strategy would be for a downfield player to run to the 45ish meter mark before the umpire arrives, and stand stationary with his hands up as if he’s on the mark, and if the umpire wants to run past to pull him back more, then that player follows the umpire.

My assumption is that it's play on if he starts zig zagging, but I don't think they have called that yet, although I expect to see it soon when someone gets ridiculous in terms of trying to draw the extra 50.

If the bloke is sprinting with the footy ahead of the umpire, guessing the mark seems to be the only way of stopping it being a far greater advantage than 50 metres, but it remains to be seen how they'll call it if a bloke stands the mark at 45 and the bloke with the ball beats the umpire and is held back 5 metres short of the mark. I suspect clubs would have asked and been given an answer about this one, but if the answer is: it won't be an extra 50, clubs will start playing ducks and drakes and holding him up earlier and then the farce gets bigger.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Did I hear going into the game it was 9-2 since 2013? Definitely 2 times too many.
The loss in 2017 was particularly bad. Week after thumping an unbeaten Geelong, and they just played with us, like a cat does a mouse. It was on my birthday, and the ex wife left me that day too. I don't know what was worse? Probably losing to Carlton ;)

The loss in 2017 was particularly bad. Week after thumping an unbeaten Geelong, and they just played with us, like a cat does a mouse. It was on my birthday, and the ex wife left me that day too. I don't know what was worse? Probably losing to Carlton ;)
Your wife left you on your birthday? * that’s cold man...

good4footy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Ham

Your wife left you on your birthday? **** that’s cold man...

Your wife left you after a loss to Carlton....that's cold man.

Sounds like a shitty day, alright. The wife should have had more empathy than to pile on.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your wife left you after a loss to Carlton....that's cold man.

He might have been secretly very pleased.

We don’t really know from SDF he might have been quietly delighted, softening the blow of the Carlton business.

Back