Analysis Pies win one for the ages! 78-62 - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Saad the most faux tough guy in the league? I hate Essendon.

He got an 18 year old kid moved off him after the first quarter..........tough as mate.

The worst were the commentators. I remember them getting all gushing when the Essen-Clowns were going okay but failed to pull away from us. They made a big deal about Orazio not being out there and how he'd be the difference to help them finish off their chances. Completely failing to acknowledge the recent loss of Dunn and Treloar plus half the rest of our side. It was infuriating to listen to those pinheads.

It's the job of the commentators to keep the fans engaged. By saying essendon have a chance and that they are playing good, they try to keep TV views up - it makes them money.
I wouldn't hate on the commentators specifically but the network itself

Against my better judgement I decided to read the main board. So everyone else doesn't have to here are the 5 points that have been repeated and repeated about 100 times each.

- Umpires (mostly by Tigers fans)
- Collingwood hasn't beaten anyone (mostly by Tigers fans)
- Collingwood never leaves Melbourne (mostly by WC fans)
- Collingwood has a very easy fixture
- If Collingwood beats West Coast it doesn't count and we still would have beaten no one.

Love it when the reigning premier is so obsessed with us :D

Gee hate to see their melt down when Collingwood finish first in attendance’s too lol.......Since they say they are by far the biggest club in Australia

Essendon fans have no idea I swear. They're as bad as west coast supporters. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Exactly mate! I was in the afl members and I said to my mate I wonder how long it will take Essendon supporters to start whinging and booing? Only took 10 min for 40,000 of them to start booing!!! Most annoying fan base in the competition. Biggest pack of whinges in the league. Them along with Richmond are by far the worst. Must have something to do with the sash

Watched the replay just before.

I won't go into the negative stuff.

Skipper was massive with 14 in the final quarter........6 clearances for him in the last to Essendons 6.
Agree. But why is no one mentioning the tap work by Grundy? It was absolutely sublime....the one which resulted in degoey's goal as Grundy was virtually on the ground was the best - no mention......and yet I hear that Gawn has the AA ruck position wrapped up by the dregs on Channel 7. Gawn picks his nose and he get applause..

I hear you there. Growing up in Essendon in the 80s sucked! Until 1990 at least. Ah the sweet taste of Victory.

I hate Essendon. Worst club by far....worst sooky and arrogant fan base still even after having not won a final in 14 years.

Also are more crooked club then the blues salary breaches in 1993 and the drug scandal!

Never understood the pure hate for Carlton they are just the next Fitzroy. Carlton should merge with North Melbourne. Carlton Kangaroos fc

I hate Essendon. Worst club by far....worst sooky and arrogant fan base still even after having not won a final in 14 years.

Also are more crooked club then the blues salary breaches in 1993 and the drug scandal!

Never understood the pure hate for Carlton they are just the next Fitzroy. Carlton should merge with North Melbourne. Carlton Kangaroos fc

I’m picking you weren’t around in the 70’s & 80’s?
If you were you wouldn’t question the Carlton hate.

I’m picking you weren’t around in the 70’s & 80’s?
If you were you wouldn’t question the Carlton hate.

But they are nothing! I starting going to the footy in 1997 and hated Essendon. Growing up in the West you either followed Essendon, Collingwood or the bulldogs. Carlton did not have many fans in my area plus their club is so s**t how can you hate them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. But why is no one mentioning the tap work by Grundy? It was absolutely sublime....the one which resulted in degoey's goal as Grundy was virtually on the ground was the best - no mention......and yet I hear that Gawn has the AA ruck position wrapped up by the dregs on Channel 7. Gawn picks his nose and he get applause..
Agreed. That tap to Pendlebury that got that quick reply goal in the fourth was sublime. Was absolutely awesome yesterday. Should.be the favorite for the ruckman AA spot.

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

Mods ban this person until they have had an attitude re-adjustment.

You will find many people especially the younger pie generation will have no hatered towards Carlton. In the 50’s and 60’s no doubt many more Collingwood fans would of hated Melbourne. Then from 1970 till about 4 the 5 years Ago pies most hatered team is Carlton. Carlton are the new Melbourne!! What is their to hate?? They are so s**t how can you hate them.

In saying that Carlton do have a very big following especially in the northern suburbs and like Richmond they will become very easy to hate. But at the moment they are a nothing boring club

To be fair all of those comments are accurate - our season will be made or broken over the next 6 weeks where we literally play pretty much *every* other contender for a top 4 spot (WCE, NM, RICH, SYD, PORT).

Yes we've done well to make it to 2nd at this point, but just like flags aren't won in July sitting 2nd on the ladder in July doesn't really amount to much more than, say, being 8-3 at the half way mark has in years past...
Agree very much with this. We can slice it or dice it anyway we like but up to this point, after 15 games, there are 10 realistic chances to make finals and we have only beaten one of those 10 so far. We have lost the other 4 we have played.

Where we finish will depend on how we reverse that trend and start to beat the real contenders. We will need to step up from our last months form to do that. This week will be a good test.

You have to laugh at Woosher using injury to Stringer after half time as an excuse. Jake was near invisible before he was "injured". You'd hardly even know he was playing if it wasn't for all our supporters laughing at him.

And he's a fat flog

EFA :thumbsu::)

I just watched the replay and have only one thing to add to the comments and accolades made of our players. I hate every second of Brian Taylor's comments. He tries to manufacture excitement out of every movement and gesture, more often attempting to make something extraordinary out of something very ordinary. He seems to openly barrack for opposition teams despite being an ex Collingwood player. He grates on me like no other commentator. I find myself conjuring up nasty scenarios of which I am secretly ashamed - anything that will remove him from his commentary position.

Anyway good games from lots of players - in particular Cox, Grundy, Maynard, Adams, De Goey, Pendlebury, Crisp, Howe. It was a gutsy win. Just a shame it had to be called by Brian Taylor.

Saad is a dirty dog. Before the bounce he was attacking Stephenson. Disgraceful. Stephenson turned around and ran circles around him like a true champion.

But Saad hasn’t done half as much as Stephenson in 5 years of AFL. Disgraceful.

Respect to Stephenson.

When I saw that at the start of the game I thought to myself, watch Stepho have a great 1st quarter. And he did. He just loves to play and win where it matters. It's been a pleasure to watch

Exactly mate! I was in the afl members and I said to my mate I wonder how long it will take Essendon supporters to start whinging and booing? Only took 10 min for 40,000 of them to start booing!!! Most annoying fan base in the competition. Biggest pack of whinges in the league. Them along with Richmond are by far the worst. Must have something to do with the sash

I've been saying pretty much since I joined BF that the Top 3 worst in the comp in order are:

1) Essendon - Staggering for a club with such a large supporter base of a club almost as big as ours that their supporters have so little idea of the sport they're actually watching. It's incredible stuff. I don't mean the usual bias that comes with being a die hard supporter of your club. I mean the really bizarre stuff. Like...if a Collingwood player has the ball and an Essendon players fingertip makes contact with the Collingwood player with the ball you'll hear "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OH MY GOD THESE UMPIRES ARE THE WORST!". Like literally with fingertip contact. It's bizarre.

2) Hawthorn - Seriously, sitting around these people in the AFL Members for the last 20 years has been...something. Similar to Essendon supporter in that you just wonder if they actually know what sport they're watching. I mean, it's scary to think that the Collingwood supporter base, the most "one-eyed" in the league has more objectivity than these people.

3) St.Kilda - We're known as the club with "the most ferals" but I tell you right now, the ratio of ferals in St.Kilda's supporter base eclipses ours by a long way. We may have more ferals through sheer weight in numbers because of how many supporters we have, but St.Kilda's supporter base has to be at least 50% ferals where ours in reality might be 20% at worst. I mean, even when they're getting pumped by 15 goals, you'll hear them after every. single. goal. "St,Kilda!" *CLAP CLAP CLAP* "St.Kilda!" *CLAP CLAP CLAP*. Oh my god shut the f**k up you're getting pumped.

Agree very much with this. We can slice it or dice it anyway we like but up to this point, after 15 games, there are 10 realistic chances to make finals and we have only beaten one of those 10 so far. We have lost the other 4 we have played.

Where we finish will depend on how we reverse that trend and start to beat the real contenders. We will need to step up from our last months form to do that. This week will be a good test.
That's a vice-like grip of the obvious there GC. How many wins do you predict from the last 7 games?

BT gets excited about injuries and then goes on and on speculating on the worst possible outcome with no real empathy in his voice. He should be on the verge of getting sacked for this. Or lynched.
It's the only problem I have with BT.

I just watched the replay and have only one thing to add to the comments and accolades made of our players. I hate every second of Brian Taylor's comments. He tries to manufacture excitement out of every movement and gesture, more often attempting to make something extraordinary out of something very ordinary. He seems to openly barrack for opposition teams despite being an ex Collingwood player. He grates on me like no other commentator. I find myself conjuring up nasty scenarios of which I am secretly ashamed - anything that will remove him from his commentary position.

Anyway good games from lots of players - in particular Cox, Grundy, Maynard, Adams, De Goey, Pendlebury, Crisp, Howe. It was a gutsy win. Just a shame it had to be called by Brian Taylor.
I understand your position, but I think BT is not so secretly taking the P155 out of himself and the commentary game generally. If you listen to him with that in mind, he is a bit more bearable. And yes, his mistakes are atrocious and likely come about because he is thinking of his next attempted zinger rather than concentrating on the game. He made one call on Sunday about Essendon being in the lead when it was Collingwood, another about the scoreboard just catching up when it was him who was catching up to the current score. Picture BT in a tuxedo t-shirt and he is easier to take.

And he will likely go down in history as the last Collingwood player to kick 100 in a season (the only (very minor) downside to 1990 was that we didn't start feeding it to Daics to get his 100th in the GF).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back