Review Pies Win. Wasn’t pretty, but it’ll do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond had not belted us twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I beg to differ. We challenged and they swatted us away in both games. Easily accounted for us after we threw the kitchen sink at them.
But you miss the point; my point was that June champions have a habit of becoming September chumps.

I don't think it's the ball but certainly an interesting observation on your part.

Jordy is a footballer's footballer; the kid can kick (and he's nailing the harder ones). I reckon he has developed a case of the yips this year mate, it's between the ears.

Certainly between the ears too - I agree. The less time he has to think the better he kicks. That kick into Reid at the back of the goalsquare was spot on.

I have noticed at times that he can have an awkward ball drop too fwiw.

Going on the recent pictures of Hine he probably ran from the 2nds games to 1sts (I don,t live in Victoria so I have no idea how far the distance is) he is looking quite fit atm and good on him.
Yes he could run that.
Be a handy run.
In crisp air. Sure it’s just under 7km so getting in and out and going about to your seat would be 7km.

Nice jog.

If it’s Kevin White then it be a bit quicker.

I beg to differ. We challenged and they swatted us away in both games. Easily accounted for us after we threw the kitchen sink at them.
But you miss the point; my point was that June champions have a habit of becoming September chumps.

I get and appreciate your point. However, Richmond beat us by 28 points on 28 July in round 19 - fairly late in the season.

I get and appreciate your point. However, Richmond beat us by 28 points on 28 July in round 19 - fairly late in the season.

That was the game when we were within a goal when Scharenberg did his knee, IIRC.

I suppose my optimism is built upon returning players slotting back in seamlessly and improving our output. We've really missed Adams and it shows. Ranked 15th for clearances I see today. That's why Bucks is filthy. How do we fix this? We're fine once we get the ball inside 50, but at present we've lost the art of winning the hard ball. We have lots of upside, but there's no guarantee it will happen. I guess the next three weeks will tell us all we need to know.

Thank god for the big beautiful man wearing number 4.

Got a lot of work to do.

One positive was the adjustment to at least hinder their sling shot out of the back half. Varcoe, Thomas and Brown got busier.

We actually won all three games against the Bulldogs last weekend ...

AFL
VFL
VFLW

Let's certainly hope it was the not too unusual post-bye week blues yesterday, which North Melbourne too may have to deal with next weekend. Second quarter was as frustrating as we had been all this year. Can't recall a season quite like this, where the general consensus is that the ball movement and stoppage work isn't where we need it but still the scrappy wins just keep coming.
When does all this become a major concern rather than an upside seems to be the question for some, certainly not in June would be my answer.

Thought they were bloody good actually. Bulldogs really played well and have the makings of a gun side bar some ridiculous selections and list management (which is there problem) but were able to hold off a side who has really given us trouble in a game that didn't suit and did the job. (Would've been 5 goals + if they ran it out the 2 junk time goals mean nothing).

Primed for another go at it.

I’m not sure how else to explain this but I’ll try.

If your best football is 100%. We are currently at 40%. At best.

Geelong is at probably 80-85%.

Now, what do you think is easier? Going from 40 to 80-100? Or maintaining 80-85 or going up by 5-10%?

We have an incredible list (outside a few suspect choices that Bucks loves to persist with) and that is what is getting us by. Winning games ugly playing below 50% not only speaks to the quality of the list, but conversely the quality of the comp.

Because really? NO team should be winning games being as off our game as we are. Let alone being 10-3.
A bit late to this party, but I think the flaw in your reasoning is that your percentage comparisons don’t capture the differences in absolute performance potential. That is, one team’s 100% might equate to an absolute potential of 120 and another’s to, say, 105. Let’s say team 1 gets to 80%, that’s a performance level of 96. Team 2 gets to a higher percentage — 90% — that’s a performance level of 94.5 — they’re not as good, so they lose despite outperforming.
Also, we ‘re nowhere near 40% — otherwise how do we keep on winning?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy won it for us. They should have won actually, their inaccurate goal
kicking saved us
Funny thing, at the game from half time I didn’t think we’d lose.
We seemed overall to stem the bleeding enough and wound them.

I know what you mean, but I think they’re better play is pushing from there back forward but it goes pear shaped from there.

Was that odd game where no side was shining in bright lights.

How the dogs have fallen.
A flag built on young talent, but now, it’s just spluttering along.
At least they have a flag to show for it.

Where did I say they were?

“Consistently calling for blokes who aren't even available to replace others in the senior 22.”

Daicos and Quaynor are the only 2 reserves players I’ve consistently wanted called into the seniors.

Far as I’m aware, they’re both available.

A bit late to this party, but I think the flaw in your reasoning is that your percentage comparisons don’t capture the differences in absolute performance potential. That is, one team’s 100% might equate to an absolute potential of 120 and another’s to, say, 105. Let’s say team 1 gets to 80%, that’s a performance level of 96. Team 2 gets to a higher percentage — 90% — that’s a performance level of 94.5 — they’re not as good, so they lose despite outperforming.
Also, we ‘re nowhere near 40% — otherwise how do we keep on winning?

Because that’s how good our list is and conversely how poor the comp is this year.

“Consistently calling for blokes who aren't even available to replace others in the senior 22.”

Daicos and Quaynor are the only 2 reserves players I’ve consistently wanted called into the seniors.

Far as I’m aware, they’re both available.

So now your denying you've called for players to be included who haven't played at either senior or VFL level due to injury, claiming they were being rested even.... Of course, silly me.

Coach's votes:

WESTERN BULLDOGS v COLLINGWOOD
7 Caleb Daniel (WB)
7 Brodie Grundy (COLL)
5 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
5 Jack Macrae (WB)
3 Jack Crisp (COLL)
3 Jordan Roughead (COLL)

So now your denying you've called for players to be included who haven't played at either senior or VFL level due to injury, claiming they were being rested even.... Of course, silly me.

What are you talking about?

Like seriously, what are you talking about?

What are you actually talking about?

I need an example of what the hell you're talking about.

What are you talking about?

Like seriously, what are you talking about?

What are you actually talking about?

I need an example of what the hell you're talking about.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyone know how much time Brown spent in the centre? I liked it having finished watching the replay.

Also Crisp and Sidebottom really worked hard and covered a lot of the ground.
Can't find any info. From memory I only noticed him there briefly in the last quarter (trusting my memory is not a good idea though).
Our mids need some more support pronto. His tackling has improved a lot this season, hands are good and has revealed a burst of speed I didn't think he had previously. Wouldn't be out of place. Give him some cameos along with Thomas. It might free up Pendles and Treloar as well.

Anyone know how much time Brown spent in the centre? I liked it having finished watching the replay.

Also Crisp and Sidebottom really worked hard and covered a lot of the ground.
Good question. We didn't receive our normal post from our Essendon friend with all those details this week.

Grundy is part of the make up of this side.. so there's no real sense in saying 'we'd be potentially sitting outside the 8 without him'.. no different to saying 'without the worlds best politician'.. 'without the best head of hair'.. 'without the best friend ever'.. etc etc re. If you have it.. you're blessed.. it's what makes you successful.. you can not strip a side down to nothing. You can not say without Maradona re..

History has proven time and time again.. that if you have someone special.. a bloke who dominates others completely.. you're well on your way re..

Carlton is an exception to the rule though re..

Just remember..

View attachment 697487
I don’t remember you asking me if you could quote me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back