PC Pillars of Eternity

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone played this yet? Classic RPG game, similar to the BG series. Am a few hours in it and am liking the story, my main is a priest and have a fighter to tank, a druid for aoe damage/debuffs, a barbarian for single/aoe damage, and a cipher for ranged damage/cc. Playing on hard atm but will play path of the damned (hardest difficulty) after I'm done with this playthrough.

Best game I've played in years. Put in close to 80 hours and still going. Remarkable!

On my 2nd playthrough now on PoTD. Fighter/Chanter tanks, Wizard for debuffs, Druid for AoE damage, Priest for buffs and heals, Rogue for single target. Yes, a melee rogue - lots of micromanagement but very rewarding.

Surely there's more people here who've played this? :(

I'd assume there are a few, but it seems to be more a mainstream release type board :(

I'm currently running a PoTD party too but for 1.03. Haven't updated!

FRONT
Sword and Board Fighter (Tank)
Two Handed Paladin (Off-Tank & Frontline Buff)

MIDDLE
Pistol/Sword & Board Chanter (Ranged Buffs and 3rd Tank if first two die.)

BACK
Arbelest Rogue (Pure Heavy DPS)
Arquebus Cipher (AOE)
Sceptre Wizard (AOE + Debuffs)

Probably the 5th party i've played on PoTD but it's the one I've settled on, really suits my style.

I'd recommend updating because it fixes some game breaking bugs and balances out things.

Would love to use a paladin but they're kind of useless compared to the fighter and priest in my party, they don't really bring anything special (their auras don't stack with priest buffs for example and their rep abilities need a tweak). Later down the track I might use one with just a priest and a 3rd. What I'd really like to see though is them fixing the ranger - should be doing more damage than any other ranged but falls short of rogues and ciphers.

Thanks for recommending this, now on my wishlist. D:OS was great was great to satiate the isometric RPG hunger (will get around to finishing one day) but what I'm really missing from BG and IWD is the Forgotten Realms setting.

Yeah i'd love to revisit the setting at some stage soon!

What I can definitely say about PoE. One huge thing it delivers on over D:OS is world creation. Obsidian have created a juggernaught of lore here in just one game. Fully fleshed out universe and history. I have a feeling this will become one of the classic series people will be looking at in 20 years and thinking just as fondly as we do about BG, IWD and PS:T!

I loved D:OS... but I would find it hard to play again after PoE. Different leagues IMO.

Backed it on Kickstarter, waited 2 or so years...still haven't even run the game.

My gaming PC is a HTPC (just got a GTX970 and GTAV. Wowee!) and I cannot play text reliant games on the big screen.

Will be getting a new desk and PC to start streaming after tax time, so I am looking forward to getting stuck in to Pillars of Eternity.

Wish they'd chosen another name though. The abbreviation PoE always makes me think of Path of Exile. (It's what Diablo III should have been IMHO)

Yeah i'd love to revisit the setting at some stage soon!

What I can definitely say about PoE. One huge thing it delivers on over D:OS is world creation. Obsidian have created a juggernaught of lore here in just one game. Fully fleshed out universe and history. I have a feeling this will become one of the classic series people will be looking at in 20 years and thinking just as fondly as we do about BG, IWD and PS:T!

I loved D:OS... but I would find it hard to play again after PoE. Different leagues IMO.

Sounds good :D where D:OS never completely pulled me in was that I never felt connected to the world. Either that is just unfair because I was already familiar with R A Salvatore books before playing BG for the first time (then omg getting to go to Icewind dale!) or D:OS just didn't do a good enough job selling me the world. Fingers crossed PoE does a better job of it. But anyway, just sitting on my wish list so I don't forget about it. This game will need my complete attention and just juggling a few games at the moment as it is.

Wish they'd chosen another name though. The abbreviation PoE always makes me think of Path of Exile. (It's what Diablo III should have been IMHO)
Its skill, talent and gem system with Diablo III's combat system - absolutely.

But... the trading and economic aspect endgame seems a bit daunting. Some people call it Path of Economics for a good reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I caved and bought this when I swore off any more game purchases after seeing gameplay videos. I've recently been playing through BG:EE and was stoked to hear about/see PoE.

I've sunk about 65 hours into it so far, (although I think 41ish hours of "true" game time in my current playthrough) and it probably took me a good 30 or so hours to really understand the combat mechanics. After that though the game has become quite simple, even on hard.

I am actually looking forward to completing the solo triple crown, as I think the amount of relatively generic combat would serve itself better to a solo RPG (a la Diablo), or trying really hard to be incredibly rogueish and stealthy and to avoid as much combat as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back