Pinged for playing on after the siren

Remove this Banner Ad

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Without fail, any time a player lines up for a kick after the siren, the commentators go to great pains to point out that the player needs to kick over the man on the mark or risk being called for playing on.

My question is, has this ever actually happened?

In particular has it ever happened on a matchwinner like Rohan's last week? I can't imagine an umpire having the guts to make that call to disallow a goal.

I have a distant memory of this happening to Essendon in the 2010s. Might have been Ryder who did it.

That was a bit different because he sorry of did it just as/after the siren, but clearly played on. Was unlucky.

It's against all we know in the game, but if we were concerned about umpires not having the guys to call it, is be happy with a compromise, where if they do go of the line they get a warning and have to take the kick again if it was a goal.

As soon as a player runs off the mark it’s play on. By the rules, if done so after the siren the result is no score and the ball is dead/no longer in play.

Although not a match winner Petracca was called for play on when lining up after the siren and not running in a straight line earlier this year. I'm fairly sure Buddy was to.

I remember years ago on Almost Football Legends and I'm pretty sure was a WAFL game a player marked on a tight angle with a chance to win the game after the siren only to quickly chip it over to his unmarked teammate in the goal square. His teammate didn't call for it and immediately threw his hands in the air like WTF you doing.

Clinton Wolf in the WAFL playing for Claremont was one I remember.

Siren had clearly gone and his teammates were instructing him to take the shot to win the game. He ran around the corner, umpire called play on and it was game over.

It never actually happened, but the AFL tried (with a straight face) to explain that if Lance Franklin ever had a kick after the siren he was able to run around on his left as part of his "natural arc" and it wouldn't be called play on.

Naturally, everyone complained that one player would have a rule for himself as opposed to everyone else and the AFL relented and required Lance to run straight at the mark like everyone else in such a scenario.

James Cook took a mark, lined up for goal, siren went and he played on. It was the quarter time siren but if he did kick a score it was disallowed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't they allow someone to kick 'around the corner' last week, after the 1/4 time siren? Said he could, as long as he kicked it before he went over the mark. First I'd ever heard of that.

Didn't they allow someone to kick 'around the corner' last week, after the 1/4 time siren? Said he could, as long as he kicked it before he went over the mark. First I'd ever heard of that.
Yeah when going around the corner you can start a few steps off your line boundary side

There was a ridiculous looking one earlier in the year when Blakey i think was allowed to run on a diagonal line after the siren that wasn't played on

I feel like it happened to Gary Ablett Snr one time up in Sydney - or at least another Geelong player - it was in the opposite pocket to the Nick Davis matchwinner and he tried to play on to improve the angle after the siren had gone.

Against Melbourne?
IIRC, he was lining up and took a side step to improve the angle and the Ump called play on and took the pill off him.

I think it was against Melbourne in a night game but my memory of the actual incident is a little foggy. I thought he played on and had a shot but you could be right.

Without fail, any time a player lines up for a kick after the siren, the commentators go to great pains to point out that the player needs to kick over the man on the mark or risk being called for playing on.

In particular has it ever happened on a matchwinner like Rohan's last week? I can't imagine an umpire having the guts to make that call to disallow a goal.

So because of the man on the mark rule it has actually changed a bit. In years gone by players were given a little leeway to step off their line when shooting for goal as the man on the mark was able to block that passage laterally. However, this year, when lining up for a goal after the siren a player can start their run up way off their line provided they kick over the man on the mark. If they kick away from the man on the mark it is called play on and effectively a dead ball.

In round 1 Christian Petracca had a kick after the final siren he ran in an arc and kicked off his line and the ball was called dead.

He shanked it anyway and Melbourne won that game by four goals so it didn't matter and not much was made of it.

It never actually happened, but the AFL tried (with a straight face) to explain that if Lance Franklin ever had a kick after the siren he was able to run around on his left as part of his "natural arc" and it wouldn't be called play on.

Naturally, everyone complained that one player would have a rule for himself as opposed to everyone else and the AFL relented and required Lance to run straight at the mark like everyone else in such a scenario.

You’re allowed a natural arc you just have to kick over the man on the mark. So in Buddies case he’d have to line up and take two steps to the left then arc round so he’d be kicking over the man on the mark.

Agree the rule is silly but that’s the change they made.

Yeah when going around the corner you can start a few steps off your line boundary side

There was a ridiculous looking one earlier in the year when Blakey i think was allowed to run on a diagonal line after the siren that wasn't played on
He was on his line when he kicked. He started off his line and ran to it.

freo player tried to do it in the 90s and was duly called play on, was shooting from the pocket end of the 3rd.

Couldn’t help noticing that Daniher, when kicking after the siren was forced to run straight in his approach and kicked it dead straight from 45 on a tight angle. Go figure!!

I feel like it happened to Gary Ablett Snr one time up in Sydney - or at least another Geelong player - it was in the opposite pocket to the Nick Davis matchwinner and he tried to play on to improve the angle after the siren had gone.

Happened to Ablett Snr, siren had sounded, when back to take the kick and tried to do the run around the player and kick. Bizarrely, the umpire stopped the play, reset the mark and made him kick it over the man.

Clinton Wolf in the WAFL playing for Claremont was one I remember.

Siren had clearly gone and his teammates were instructing him to take the shot to win the game. He ran around the corner, umpire called play on and it was game over.
I was there that game (if it's the same one - I'd hope Claremont couldn't be involved in two such episodes) and he in fact passed it to a player "in a better position" - d'oh! I'm a Tigers supporter and even I was doubled up in laughter.

I was there that game (if it's the same one - I'd hope Claremont couldn't be involved in two such episodes) and he in fact passed it to a player "in a better position" - d'oh! I'm a Tigers supporter and even I was doubled up in laughter.

You could be right, the memory fades with time !!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back