Pink Cricket ball farce

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help feeling that CA and Kookaburra deliberately sent a batch of dud balls to Perth for that Test, just so the pink ball wouldn't look so bad by comparison next up.
I know that wasn't the only time there were issues, but it was all too convenient. And Nine's commentators seemed to have had their lines prepared.
Remember seeing that theory floating around a bit during the Perth Test. Nothing would surprise me with CA.

The fact that it was played on the Great Eastern wouldn't have helped either

I asked one of the first class players on the weekend about the pink ball. He said that it gets soft faster than the red ball. Also that unless there is some grass on the pitch absolutely nothing happens with it.

They find visibility a bit more difficult square of the wicket but no problem for batsmen, slip fielders.

Also said though that the concept is here to stay and the players know they have to get used to it and find a way to succeed with it.

Last edited:
I heard Chris Hartley interviewed on ABC after the Bulls win last week - he said that teams and players would need to come up with a set of 'pink ball' tactics that will be different to their approaches to red ball and white ball cricket. Things like using the older, softer ball ball for longer periods so it deteriorates and is harder to see and hit, depending on the time of day/night; different declaration timings, using your spinners earlier or later etc. t will be intriguing to see how quickly they can evolve pink ball specific tactics. The big question mark is still the quality of the ball rather than the visibility.

I heard Chris Hartley interviewed on ABC after the Bulls win last week - he said that teams and players would need to come up with a set of 'pink ball' tactics that will be different to their approaches to red ball and white ball cricket. Things like using the older, softer ball ball for longer periods so it deteriorates and is harder to see and hit, depending on the time of day/night; different declaration timings, using your spinners earlier or later etc. t will be intriguing to see how quickly they can evolve pink ball specific tactics. The big question mark is still the quality of the ball rather than the visibility.

CA won't serve up pitches for day/night tests that allow for long innings, might be a nightmare for them if somebody does plays a special knock on a very green pitch and gets an innings past 90- 100 overs.

SAfricans have told CA to take their night match and stuff it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/fdadf3f3cdfd0bad88681c39e993f626

Australian cricket’s new jewel in the crown is under threat with South Africa’s players refusing to play a day-night Test in Adelaide this summer. The stand-off is causing massive headaches for Cricket Australia which is planning to unveil the fixtures for the Test tours by Pakistan and South Africa tomorrow.

The vast majority of Australian and New Zealand players complained after the match about the ball, its visibility and the changed conditions. The South African senior players spoke directly to the Australians when they were there for a T20 series in May to gauge their feedback first-hand.

BH-z8icCEAE9o6R.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All they want is the million $ CA gave the Kiwis they have no intention of not paying the day night match.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

A bit disappointed in CSA's stance here.

I lean much more to the side of traditionalism with cricket, but I just don't see the issue - the world didn't cave in with Adelaide last year, to the contrary I loved every second (other than some laughably incompetent umpiring) of what turned out to be a gripping test. I don't feel a night test a summer destroys the soul of test cricket at all.

I lean much more to the side of traditionalism with cricket, but I just don't see the issue - the world didn't cave in with Adelaide last year, to the contrary I loved every second (other than some laughably incompetent umpiring) of what turned out to be a gripping test. I don't feel a night test a summer destroys the soul of test cricket at all.

It was the only interesting test of the whole summer, however it was helped by the curator actually producing a non road for once. I don't want to see us make 600, it is boring. A test where 250-300 is a great score is always better than a run fest where every bloke scores a ton.

Reading between the lines and the Australian players told the Saffers that the ball was complete trash.

Prime time is not an untested concept though. It's a proven winner whether it's television, sport or any entertainment.

I just don't think they've invested enough in the technology. They ball manufacturers say that they can't get pink dye to go into the leather, as though it's mission impossible. We've been to the moon! I'm sure we can find a way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back