Autopsy Piss off, Juan - Fremantle def Brisbane by 83 points

Remove this Banner Ad

It all depends on how we play the next few games: Port Adelaide, Collingwood and Melbourne will provide a bigger challenge in the next month.

We will find out if we can maintain that style of play when the pressure is greater. The thing I liked most was the preparedness of the defenders to run for each other, to provide an opening to reduce any forward pressure that may have been applied. Haven't seen that for a long time.
Problem is all we have proved so far is that we are flat track bullies. I want more!

Last edited:
+
Crozier - So bloody good off the backline. Even went into the middle for a few stoppage clearances. Looking every bit a great first round draft pick. He is going to improve so much more now he has cement a spot and is consistantly involved. Would love to know what his metres gained finished as?

Sutcliffe - Solid game down back, didn't make any mistakes that I can recall and had some nice kicks out of the backline.

Spurr - He did so well to get back to the ball but then tapped it back into play :drunk: Then followed up his mistake with some great defensive pressure to shut down the ball. Overall I thought he had a great game. He is one player who isn't afraid to run the ball out of the backline.

Collins - Contested the ball well and did another solid job. Can't remember what qtr but he did a beautiful side-step followed by a rocket handball. Really feeling quite positive about our future KPD's pairing (Pearce, Collins)

Mayne - Looks so good when playing as the 3rd/4th tall. Still missing the set shots but has had a great run of football this past month.

Tabs - Just awesome.

Smith - Deserves a run of games off that performance to see what he's got.

Lachie Weller - Sorry I meant 'Rnd12 NAB Rising Star Lachie Weller'.

Blakely - What is this guy going to be like when he hits to 50 game mark! West Coast Fked up big time not getting him.

Tucker - Had a really good game, had a few overcooked kicks but this kid is going to be A grade

It all depends on how we play the next few games: Port Adelaide, Collingwood and Melbourne will provide a bigger challenge in the next month.

We will find out if we can maintain that style of play when the pressure is greater. The thing I liked most was the preparedness of the defenders to run for each other, to provide an opening to reduce any forward pressure that may have been applied. Haven't seen that for a long time.
Problem is all we have proved so far is that we are flat track bullies. I wasn't more!
If we win the next few games, you start having the problem of fitting guys back in the team when they return from injury! Completely agree with your statement though. Very excited about this team atm. To think who will come back in..

+
Crozier - So bloody good off the backline. Even went into the middle for a few stoppage clearances. Looking every bit a great first round draft pick. He is going to improve so much more now he has cement a spot and is consistantly involved. Would love to know what his metres gained finished as?

Sutcliffe - Solid game down back, didn't make any mistakes that I can recall and had some nice kicks out of the backline.

Spurr - He did so well to get back to the ball but then tapped it back into play :drunk: Then followed up his mistake with some great defensive pressure to shut down the ball. Overall I thought he had a great game. He is one player who isn't afraid to run the ball out of the backline.

Collins - Contested the ball well and did another solid job. Can't remember what qtr but he did a beautiful side-step followed by a rocket handball. Really feeling quite positive about our future KPD's pairing (Pearce, Collins)

Mayne - Looks so good when playing as the 3rd/4th tall. Still missing the set shots but has had a great run of football this past month.

Tabs - Just awesome.

Smith - Deserves a run of games off that performance to see what he's got.

Lachie Weller - Sorry I meant 'Rnd12 NAB Rising Star Lachie Weller'.

Blakely - What is this guy going to be like when he hits to 50 game mark! West Coast Fked up big time not getting him.

Tucker - Had a really good game, had a few overcooked kicks but this kid is going to be A grade
Tuckers dont argue deserves a mention. Awesome!

I think it's the first game this season I've seen Spurr willing to run it out of defence and not only that, take a chance with his kicks. He even went centre corridor a couple of times iirc. Not sure it's going to be as easy against better opponents but guys like Spurr and Sutcliffe should be given a licence to take the game on imo. What's the worst that can happen? We finish 3rd bottom rather than in the 9th-15th range.

Defeated.... Slaughtered...

Man Brisbane are so bad. I mean I don't want to take away from our win but that was not an AFL side we faced. They were worse than Essendon.
they were bad but what i liked was how there was none of that "que in the rack" bs from last year once we had a handy lead and the kids and oldies were hungry and desperate to kick as many goals as they could to the last minute of the game.

and ross hasn't contacted me yet to say thanks for suggesting crozier would be better off half back. still waiting patiently ross...

they were bad but what i liked was how there was none of that "que in the rack" bs from last year once we had a handy lead and the kids and oldies were hungry and desperate to kick as many goals as they could to the last minute of the game.

and ross hasn't contacted me yet to say thanks for suggesting crozier would be better off half back. still waiting patiently ross...
So true. These guys are dog hungry, that's what I was impressed with tanner, may lack in skills, but geez he wants that ball.

Even allowing for the (very) poor quality of the opposition, that was a great game by our team. Only negatives (apart from Zarke who I won't repeat others comments on) were:
  • some of the comments in the first four pages of the gameday thread. Truly negative comments by some that can't seem to accept that not every quarter of every game in every season is going to be full of unicorns and rainbows. Get a grip you negative numpties (you know who you are).
  • Our kickins still vary quite a lot - great to see that when Croz has kicked in they have seemed to work much better. When Sutty or Spurr kick in, the flow is much less consistent, and more of a lottery (as opposed to when Spurr or Sutty mark the kickins - when things seem to generally go better). Maybe Spurr and Sutty should be locked into first receiver roles, instead of rotating through the kickin role?
Taberner gets into position so well and once he resolves the issue around the ball popping out of his stiff palms, he'll edge beyond being potentially serviceable to hold down a key slot. He's clearly in need of confidence but yesterday gave him a good shot of it.

Tabs was great. I actually thought at least twice he deliberately tapped it down, instead of trying to take the mark, setting up an easy possession for our forward crumbers. I thought that was one of the reasons both Ballas and Mayney played with more confidence - because they knew the ball was going to be directed towards them in a contested marking situation, instead of not knowing what was likely to happen. The key is obviously if Tabs can keep improving his contested marking and positioning against better backlines...

Watching the game I couldn't tell whether Tucker or Weller had the better game. Statically Weller was better but I thought some of Tucker's contested work was exceptional. I kept yelling at the TV that's a first year player! Smashing through tackles, giving don't argues. Absolute gem!!

I thought Weller was far better, Tucker's disposal was ordinary at times. Tucker had a very good game, just needs to get that disposal by foot to be a bit more consistent. It should come with a few more games and a bit more stability in what positions he is played in. Tucker is a great pickup, hopefully he plays every game from here on in for 2016...

Tuckers dont argue deserves a mention. Awesome!

He was very robust for such a youngster!! If only we could get Grey into the team, with Grey, Tucker and Apeness we would have extra bite and oomph at the contest...

Last edited:
I think you need to change your views, you are seeing new stars emerging, and the ceiling is higher than the general
footy world believe.
Have to be impressed with Blakey, Weller, Tucker, Crozier, Tabs, even Collins looks settled down back.
Our depth players are Langdon, Grey, and they are better than that.
My views are fine. Our established stars are out injured. These young kids right now are depth. Later, they'll be the established stars.

Forgot to record it on foxtel and it looks like they aren't replaying our game this week. Anyway I can watch the replay again somehow using foxtel? I'm new to this.

My views are fine. Our established stars are out injured. These young kids right now are depth. Later, they'll be the established stars.
Bit of both, I think. nothing much to get into an argument about.

Some of them are replacing actual good players on the LTI list (Fyfe, Bennell (?), A Pearce etc) others are simply pushing their way in front of established players (De Boer, Gu, etc).

I just like that they're going to make it damned hard for some of the more experienced players on the LTI list to get a game when they're fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayney was the only one who got around Tanner for his first goal. Bit disappointed about that.
I thought so too but then I think read Allikat post who was at the game and said she saw all the players get around Tanner for his first goal. So maybe the cameras didn't capture it.

Mayney was the only one who got around Tanner for his first goal. Bit disappointed about that.

TV showed that, and it was a bit disappointing because Tanner himself was utensil-a-hoop, but Allikat was at the ground, and she seemed to indicate that more players than that got around him ... not sure.

Does anyone else feel like this year is similar to the first year Lyon took over in 2012?

The team struggled to implement the new game plan and it took half a season for everyone to get on the same page.

The difference is that the new game plan is a higher emphasis on movement and scoring makes us a lot prettier to look at than the first half of 2012....

Still a long way to go but I am feeling pretty good about our direction (even if we have only beaten 2 of the worst teams ever).

I think we'll play finals.

I thought so too but then I think read Allikat post who was at the game and said she saw all the players get around Tanner for his first goal. So maybe the cameras didn't capture it.
TV showed that, and it was a bit disappointing because Tanner himself was utensil-a-hoop, but Allikat was at the ground, and she seemed to indicate that more players than that got around him ... not sure.
The ABC radio broadcast commented that some players ran the length of the ground and back again to get around Tanner after his first goal.
Ta. That's good to know. It's a measure of team spirit/cohesion, a gesture like that. It burns me up when we don't do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back