Teams Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steel Curtain

Remove this Banner Ad

re: Road record in jeopody

Roethlisberger has knee surgery; Bettis also out Sunday
Thursday, November 03, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had arthroscopic surgery this morning to "clean up" damaged cartilage in his right knee and will miss Sunday's game in Green Bay and possibly the Nov. 13 home game against the Cleveland Browns.

However, Roethlisberger should be ready to return when the Steelers play in Baltimore Nov. 20, if not sooner. Charlie Batch, who had been elevated to the No. 2 position, will be the starting quarterback Sunday.

In addition, running back Jerome Bettis will miss Sunday's game, also because of a knee injury.

Team orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Bradley performed a 15-minute procedure on a slight tear of the lateral meniscus in Roethlisberger's knee. Coach Bill Cowher said at a morning news conference on the South Side that the procedure "went very well."

Cowher said Roethlisberger did not want to have surgery but the team's medical personnel convinced the NFL's leading passer to do so after results of his magnetic resonance imaging exam were sent to noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion. The injury was an aggravation to a knee injury Roethlisberger received in the season opener against Tennessee.

"He wants to play through everything," Cowher said. "We sat him down last night and talked to him about all the options. No question this was the right thing to do and do it now."

Roethlisberger was injured on the first series of Monday night's 20-19 victory against the Baltimore Ravens but remained in the game. He was diagnosed with a posterior capsule strain, which includes damage to ligaments.

Cowher also said Bettis, who injured his knee against the Ravens, won't play in Green Bay. He will be replaced by Duce Staley, who has appeared in just one game this season but hasn't had a carry since the AFC Championship game in January.

Considering Cinci couldn't put up alot of points vs the Packers @ home, you'd have to say that the Packers are a strong show this week with thier backs against the wall/ season in the fire. Steelers will have to dig deep to stay competitive. NFL Road record in severe jeopody. :( On the flipside, stranger things have happened.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Re: Road record in jeopody

The Packers are 1-6, if the Steelers are the real deal they will put away such a woeful team. Brett Farve is throwing picks like there is no tomorrow.

Re: Road record in jeopody

coasting said:
The Packers are 1-6, if the Steelers are the real deal they will put away such a woeful team. Brett Farve is throwing picks like there is no tomorrow.

Does that rule apply to the 6-2 Bengals vs the 2-5 Ravens ? Jamal Lewis is ready to run riot thru a swiss cheese run D Bengal D. :)

I'm not expecting the Steelers to have it as easy as you think. Very tough with Favre set to rebound in front of his own fans. As for 'the real deal' >>> what about Indy ?? If they can't break the ICE that is cold as 2-14 vs the Patriots in the past nine seasons, then they surely can't be the real deal ??

Bud Carson dies

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2250885

Carson, architect of 'Steel Curtain' defense, dies at 74 Associated Press

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Bud Carson, the architect of Pittsburgh's "Steel Curtain" defense who later coached the Cleveland Browns, died Wednesday. He was 74.

Bud Carson was Steelers defensive coordinator for two Super Bowl wins.
Carson, who had been ill with emphysema, died at his home, according to his wife's employer, TV station WWSB.

Carson was the Steelers' defensive coordinator from 1972-77, and shaped a defense led by Joe Greene, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert into one of the best in NFL history. During that time, the Steelers won two Super Bowl titles under coach Chuck Noll, and would go on to win another two after Carson left.

Carson then became defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams, who lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl after the 1979 season. He coached the Browns in 1989-90, posting a 11-13-1 record in 1½ seasons.

Cleveland won the AFC Central in his first season, beating Buffalo 34-30 in the playoffs before losing to Denver 37-21 in the AFC championship game. He was fired the next year when the team got off to a 2-7 start.

"Bud was an eccentric guy that we respected very much and as a result we played hard because we liked Bud," said former Browns wide receiver Brian Brennan. "We had an older team and Bud treated us like men, and because of that he got the most out of us."

Brennan also recalled some of Carson's quirky coaching techniques.

"Sometimes he would make things up on the fly," Brennan said. "We would practice something all week, and at halftime Bud would say, 'Let's try this.' He liked to do things a little differently."

Colts coach Tony Dungy, an NFL player in the late 1970s, recalls marveling at how Carson could make major adjustments in personnel and strategy in the middle of a game or a season.

"If anyone can come up with something, it's Bud," Dungy said, pointing to how Carson successfully put in a new and complicated defensive alignment for a key game with Dallas in 1979.

Carson also coached Georgia Tech from 1967-71, posting a 27-27 record, including a win in the 1970 Sun Bowl and was defensive coordinator for the New York Jets from 1985-88.

"You look at what he established when he was with Pittsburgh, the style of defense they played in the championship they won," said Marty Lyons, a defensive tackle with the Jets during Carson's tenure there. "Wherever he went, he always had that aggressive style. He didn't want to let the offense feel like they had an upper hand on the defense. It was always an attack mode."

Carson had some of the best defensive players in NFL history on the 1974 and 1975 Steelers teams that won the Super Bowl, but didn't hesitate to motivate them. He pulled future Hall of Fame cornerback Mel Blount from the AFC championship game against Oakland in January 1975 because he felt Blount wasn't playing up to his ability.

"That was a stupid answer," Blount said before the Steelers beat Minnesota in the Super Bowl, criticism that caused a major stir in Pittsburgh. "I don't think smart coaches would've done something like that."

The Steelers were so uncertain about Blount's future after that, they drafted defensive back Dave Brown of Michigan in the first round and put him behind Blount on the depth chart.

Blount responded by making 11 interceptions in 1975 and winning the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award, and Brown wound up with the expansion Seattle Seahawks.

Carson's work with what is widely regarded as the best defense in NFL history was praised even after he left the Steelers, which rankled some holdover members of Noll's staff. Woody Widenhofer, who became the Steelers' defensive coordinator in 1979, said the defense was better after Carson left because it was more complex and relied more on blitzing.

"This isn't that little architect's defense," Widenhofer said. "He didn't know anything about defense until he got with Chuck Noll."

Still, the Steelers were so concerned about Carson's knowledge of their defense before the Super Bowl in January 1980 that they rotated linebackers Loren Toews and Robin Cole on every play so Carson couldn't steal their defensive play calls from the sidelines. The Steelers won 31-19 for their fourth and final Super Bowl victory.

Carson was a defensive back at North Carolina from 1949-51 before spending two years in the Marines.

Carson is survived by his wife, Linda; daughters Dana and Cathi; a son, Clifford; a stepson, Gary Ford; three brothers, Guy, Harry and Gib, and two grandchildren.

Visitation will be Monday night at Toale Brothers Funeral Home in Sarasota with services Tuesday at First United Methodist Church.

skip

Team Captain
Suspended
Dec 5, 2005
Noosa
Other Teams
The Eagles from the west
Re: Bud Carson dies

Oh $hit you gotta be kidding me, I am crying right now, why do the good always die so young, NOOOOOOOOO!

Re: Steelers into Superbowl XL

Man we got no coverage .....I'm thinking of flying to another country.

Go Steelers ....its kinda of unreal, I was still getting over Indy and even though I thought we were a chance against Denver ...I seen it but I donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt believe it.

Moo said:
Man we got no coverage .....I'm thinking of flying to another country.

Go Steelers ....its kinda of unreal, I was still getting over Indy and even though I thought we were a chance against Denver ...I seen it but I donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt believe it.

You wrote the Steelers off like everyone else here (can't believe that from a 'self-claimed' Steelers fan) against the Colts and now you're back to claim GLORY. OUTRAGEOUS!! ;)

I'd rate the INDY WIn as one of the best complete Steeler victories in my years of following them. The D is the key and thats what led to beating INDY and Championships are indeed won by teams with great D's.

First up, the mastermind of our Steel Curtain structure starts with D LeBeau

Porter #55,Polamalu #43,Haggans #53,Hampton #98, Smith #91, Farrior #51,Foote #50,Von Oelhoffen #67,Harrison #92,Keisel #99,Kriewaldt #57,McFadden #20,Ike Taylor #24

I think we've had better D's in the 90's but with our offense peaking at the right time, confidence among the group and an OC like Ken Whisenhunt picking the holes in opposition defences makes for the balance of getting a winning score. That's all one can ask. If the Indy Off Co-dinator had a better idea of our defence, then Manning would of been better managed/protected. Question remains whether the Seattle co-ordinators can hatch schemes to unravel the Steelers? Playing cream puff teams and a second string Indy team doesn't care for a result won't help the seahawks and further, the Seahawks D is not that watertight >>> Carolina was obviously distracted by crowd noise on Off and the Panthers D was embarrassingly insipid. If Seahawk fans can't see that, they have ANOTHER THING coming on Super Sunday that will SOCK 'EM DOWN HARD. As Cowher says, we're not going there to make up the numbers, we're going there to WIN.

Great effort by the Seahawks anyway, making the play-offs wasn't a tough ask as the lame division/conf competition was a farce.

Woodson said:
You wrote the Steelers off like everyone else here (can't believe that from a 'self-claimed' Steelers fan) against the Colts and now you're back to claim GLORY. OUTRAGEOUS!! ;)

I'd rate the INDY WIn as one of the best complete Steeler victories in my years of following them. The D is the key and thats what led to beating INDY and Championships are indeed won by teams with great D's.

Self claimed ....who proclaimed you? ;)

I know the Indy game was wonderful, we didnt get coverage of Denver (I have seen the NFL highlights though) .....dont get me wrong I was hoping like hell.

I just thought big game against Indy, another road game etc .....I'm a bad man.

In Ben we believe.

Mizza said:
I hate the Steelers
Well i feel the same about you :rolleyes: nah mate you're right, you can have your own opinion.

Don't really know that much about the stellers but i always check where they are on the table etc but don't know that much about the players, but i still follow them week by week.

I went to Pittsburgh when i was little and we have friends over there so i follow each Pittsburgh team (steelers, penguins, pirates) and have heaps of steelers and penguins hats, jumpers, jackets, t-shirts and pennant flag thins on my wall, but still dont really knwo that much about the actual players, should start following them more. Hoep they do win the Superbowl for all my friends sake over in the US though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 18, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham,Chargers,Blazers,Flyers

cats2rise said:
Well i feel the same about you :rolleyes: nah mate you're right, you can have your own opinion.

Don't really know that much about the stellers but i always check where they are on the table etc but don't know that much about the players, but i still follow them week by week.

I went to Pittsburgh when i was little and we have friends over there so i follow each Pittsburgh team (steelers, penguins, pirates) and have heaps of steelers and penguins hats, jumpers, jackets, t-shirts and pennant flag thins on my wall, but still dont really knwo that much about the actual players, should start following them more. Hoep they do win the Superbowl for all my friends sake over in the US though.
That wasnt me man some1 logged in2 my name, and wrote all this stuff saying i hate steelers an roethlisberger but i dont.

Mar 18, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham,Chargers,Blazers,Flyers
Ben Roethlisberger appresiation thread

What a legend!!!!
3695718_7_2.jpg

1013bigben-a.jpg

PH2005101202242.jpg

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Re: Ben Roethlisberger appresiation thread

Mizza said:
What a legend!!!!
3695718_7_2.jpg

What a tool!!!!

And if you ever hear him talk he sounds like a gangsta-wannabe. Its really quite sad.

Re: Wannabe gangster >>> Cinci Rookie

coasting said:
What a tool!!!!

And if you ever hear him talk he sounds like a gangsta-wannabe. Its really quite sad.

Pffft !! :rolleyes: Wanna hear about the real story about pretend gangsters, read on BUNGLE BOY. :D

Police: Henry pulled pistol on group of revelers

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry was arrested on gun charges in a weekend street altercation, authorities said.

Henry pulled a 9 mm pistol on a group of revelers early Saturday, according to a police report.

An officer directing traffic aimed his gun at the 22-year-old Henry and ordered him to drop the pistol, the report states.

Henry froze, then moved toward a limo in the street and threw the gun inside the car, the report says. The officer pulled Henry away from the limo and pushed him to the ground, according to the report.

Police said Henry, who still faces a drug charge from an arrest last month in Kentucky, appeared to be preparing to fight with another group on the sidewalk.

Officers found a loaded 9 mm Luger on the back seat of the limo, the report says. The Pasco County Sheriff's Office had listed the gun as stolen, the report states.

Henry was charged with felony counts of possession of a concealed firearm, improper exhibition of a firearm and aggravated assault with a firearm. He posted $3,000 bail and was released later that night, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the team had no comment Monday night.

Henry was charged with marijuana possession after a traffic stop Dec. 15 in Covington, Ky. That charge is pending. :eek:

Henry had 31 catches for 422 yards and six touchdowns in 2005, his rookie year out of West Virginia.

source >> ESPN.com

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Re: Wannabe gangster >>> Cinci Rookie

Woodson said:
Pffft !! :rolleyes: Wanna hear about the real story about pretend gangsters, read on BUNGLE BOY. :D

Police: Henry pulled pistol on group of revelers

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry was arrested on gun charges in a weekend street altercation, authorities said.

Henry pulled a 9 mm pistol on a group of revelers early Saturday, according to a police report.

An officer directing traffic aimed his gun at the 22-year-old Henry and ordered him to drop the pistol, the report states.

Henry froze, then moved toward a limo in the street and threw the gun inside the car, the report says. The officer pulled Henry away from the limo and pushed him to the ground, according to the report.

Police said Henry, who still faces a drug charge from an arrest last month in Kentucky, appeared to be preparing to fight with another group on the sidewalk.

Officers found a loaded 9 mm Luger on the back seat of the limo, the report says. The Pasco County Sheriff's Office had listed the gun as stolen, the report states.

Henry was charged with felony counts of possession of a concealed firearm, improper exhibition of a firearm and aggravated assault with a firearm. He posted $3,000 bail and was released later that night, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the team had no comment Monday night.

Henry was charged with marijuana possession after a traffic stop Dec. 15 in Covington, Ky. That charge is pending. :eek:

Henry had 31 catches for 422 yards and six touchdowns in 2005, his rookie year out of West Virginia.

source >> ESPN.com

No doubt it was a real dumb move by Henry but it wouldn't be American sport without the mandatory Felony charges ;)

Re: Ben Roethlisberger appresiation thread

coasting said:
I agree. Its a shame Big Jen doesn't have any.

agreed. totally overrated QB - he is done all he has needed to, which isnt much with that coaching staff, that running game, and that defence - he isnt even a top 15 QB. Some fools suggest he is better than Manning, etc

he is a golden boy.. is just going along for the ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back