Teams Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steel Curtain

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Pittsburgh's QB Big Ben In Motorcycle Wreck

Napolean said:
The quotes of his comments are being replayed all over ESPN where he is defending his decision to not wear a helmet. Said its not much of a risk if your just cruising and he prefers the feeling of freedom when not wearing a helmut. Fair dinkum, what an ignorant ****er. Reports on his injuries are hazy but the fact he went head first through a windscreen I don't think he will ever comeback the same player he was.
Defending his decision of not wearing a helmet.....:eek: BILL COWHER's gonna LOVE that!! :D :mad: I agree, what a idiot... Success has Gone to his head already... :eek:

I'm confident the Steelers have the personell to put him back in his place & perhaps replace him if doesn't care to change his attitude. Ben's loss really.

Vick>Footy said:
How is the state law at fault? This isn't a communist country. If he wants to die, it should be his option.

State Law would stop such 'high risks' occuring. Sure, we know he elects the option to risk his life but the State Law doesn't and gives that option.

Nothing to do with communism. More about common sense.

Woodson said:
Defending his decision of not wearing a helmet.....:eek: BILL COWHER's gonna LOVE that!! :D :mad: I agree, what a idiot... Success has Gone to his head already... :eek:

I'm confident the Steelers have the personell to put him back in his place & perhaps replace him if doesn't care to change his attitude. Ben's loss really.

Yeah, Steelers are a strong organization, they'll work out the best plan of attack

Vick>Footy said:
This is a southern team, and we like to run the ball in the south. We've led the entire league in rushing for two straight years. We also have had rookie WR's. They will come around. Vick was also in a brand new system last year. He will come around. The year prior, we made it to the NFC Championship with a worse team.

I dont like or dislike ATL, so I think I can be unbiased here.

From memory, the Falcons lost 6 of their last 8 games, a couple of floggings included, and the only two wins were over two non trying teams, the Lions and Saints.

The key offensive FA signing is Joe Jerevicious, who battles to stay healthy and has never been a WR1, which is the exact problem that existed with Price who had Moulds to take the best defender in Buffalo.

The running game is solid, though Duckett is only a 2nd fiddle at best (did you guys cut him, I dont recall...) and Dunn is exciting on the turf but battles on grass and is also a bit of an injury concern.

As for Ron Mexico....

-another year in the WCO will help him, but I dont think it is a system that suits him at all
- his knees arent good, and that takes away from his strongest weapon
- he doesnt have great touch on his passing
- opposing teams are playing a defensive spy and that is hurting his ability to damage them on the ground
- his contract has and will continue to limit the ability of ATL to sign better players to surround him

That said, ATL on song are a great team to watch.

statsman74 said:
I dont like or dislike ATL, so I think I can be unbiased here.

From memory, the Falcons lost 6 of their last 8 games, a couple of floggings included, and the only two wins were over two non trying teams, the Lions and Saints.

The key offensive FA signing is Joe Jerevicious, who battles to stay healthy and has never been a WR1, which is the exact problem that existed with Price who had Moulds to take the best defender in Buffalo.

The running game is solid, though Duckett is only a 2nd fiddle at best (did you guys cut him, I dont recall...) and Dunn is exciting on the turf but battles on grass and is also a bit of an injury concern.

As for Ron Mexico....

-another year in the WCO will help him, but I dont think it is a system that suits him at all
- his knees arent good, and that takes away from his strongest weapon
- he doesnt have great touch on his passing
- opposing teams are playing a defensive spy and that is hurting his ability to damage them on the ground
- his contract has and will continue to limit the ability of ATL to sign better players to surround him

That said, ATL on song are a great team to watch.

jurevicius was signed by seattle wasn't he?

Lenny Briscoe said:
jurevicius was signed by seattle wasn't he?

It was Cleveland, excuse my brainfart. ATL doesnt have any receivers that got more than 611 yards or 3 touchdowns receiving last year. I hope those young WRs get better quickly!

Woodson said:
State Law would stop such 'high risks' occuring. Sure, we know he elects the option to risk his life but the State Law doesn't and gives that option.

Nothing to do with communism. More about common sense.

Agreement here.

Such law needs to be there to protect the life of its people. Seat belts, helmets, etc... I think its even illegal to attempt to committ suicide. But if its good enough for some places why isnt it for others...?! anyway this isnt the place for that discussion, haha

Its just an overall extremely stupid decision. But I guess that comes with the terriroty of being a pro athlete... that arrogance, etc is probably what has made him successful at points in his career.

In simple terms without the helmet he puts himself at a great risk of life threatening damage. He wears it there is less risk... I'd question why he wouldnt value his life...

Contracts do have clauses, obviously he got them to and won the superbowl. So everyone is happy and will let him get away with anything. I know Luc Longley wasnt allowed to ride his motorcycles or do any other sports he used to like when he played for the Bulls those years.

Very very interesting. Its just freaky that its such an iconic player... and not some lesser known

Not Good at all, best of luck to you Ben.

I have a signed shirt from him!! It rocks!

Have one saying "Bring On the D" but i have absolutly no idea what that means and is signed by about 6 players.

cats2rise said:
Not Good at all, best of luck to you Ben.

I have a signed shirt from him!! It rocks!

Have one saying "Bring On the D" but i have absolutly no idea what that means and is signed by about 6 players.

Motorcycle versus concrete - concrete always wins.

DaSawx said:
Yeah, Steelers are a strong organization, they'll work out the best plan of attack

Who is gonna replace him? "Machine Gun" Maddox? :p

More news in this morning. Apparently he had several surgeries on his face for broken facial bones, he has knee injuries (not good!) and had a 9-inch laceration on the back of his head.

I don't think this guy will be playing this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

statsman74 said:
It was Cleveland, excuse my brainfart. ATL doesnt have any receivers that got more than 611 yards or 3 touchdowns receiving last year. I hope those young WRs get better quickly!

Two were rookies and one only had minor experiene in the previous year. Gotta give the organization some time. They've got the pieces.

danielz_23 said:
Agreement here.

Such law needs to be there to protect the life of its people.

That depends if your position is that the government works for the people and is the people, and those people make there own decesions as to what socially accepted standards (laws) they will live under, or if you believe that the government is a body that is above the people and is in a position to dictate what society does and how they live.

Some states do this. My home state of Georgia has a helmet law, my current state of Florida does not.

I have degrees in political science and a masters in public administration. I could go on about this all day. As a citizen I feel like government should not dictate something like this to me. But I am also an avide rider. I have a CBR600 F4i, and as a rider, I think that anyone who would dare get on a motorcycle without a helmet, especially in a city as populated as Pittsburgh, is an absolute fool.

Dumb, idiotic move by a youngster. Think they are invincible. Had a good clip with terry bradshaw lecturing him last year about putting the cycle away...that he had about a dozen years to have a career and not to screw it up.

There will be a clause in his contract, and Pittsburgh ought to enforce it. I'm pretty sure the Browns did it with their idiot TE. BTW, Winslow was even stupider than Ben- his was just fooling around in a mall parking lot, not out in traffic.

Pretty horrific picture in the Plain dealer (Cleveland) today.

Vick>Footy said:
Who is gonna replace him? "Machine Gun" Maddox? :p

More news in this morning. Apparently he had several surgeries on his face for broken facial bones, he has knee injuries (not good!) and had a 9-inch laceration on the back of his head.

I don't think this guy will be playing this season.

Recent reports are suggesting he'll be in camp and ready for Opening Day.

Apparently the knee injuries were just severe road rash.

That said, anytime you get severe bumps to the head, the damage may not be completely known for a while yet, notwithstanding he has passed the medical tests.

You can't but think (as they always do > ONLY IN AMERICA) it will only get him to another SOUPER BOWL as these stories will pop up in his 'CHARMED LIFE BIO' of achievements. :p

I've had a broken jaw myself (soup of the day anyone???:p ) , he'll recover, have no doubt....WE GOT da BATCH!! to cover the opening month.

Touchdown Tommy called in to say 'his doing nothing atm' so maybe he can be recalled to back up Charlie. Run the Ball, D will carry the team regardless.

Vick>Footy said:
That depends if your position is that the government works for the people and is the people, and those people make there own decesions as to what socially accepted standards (laws) they will live under, or if you believe that the government is a body that is above the people and is in a position to dictate what society does and how they live.

Some states do this. My home state of Georgia has a helmet law, my current state of Florida does not.

I have degrees in political science and a masters in public administration. I could go on about this all day. As a citizen I feel like government should not dictate something like this to me. But I am also an avide rider. I have a CBR600 F4i, and as a rider, I think that anyone who would dare get on a motorcycle without a helmet, especially in a city as populated as Pittsburgh, is an absolute fool.

Yeah we could go on... but I'll settle on its 6 in one, half a dozen the other. Depending on what floats your boat.

On a final note, I would just think that the government would be there to protect its people, they arent dictating what you can and cant do... thats just getting carried away... they are just enforcing safety in doing so...!

Obviously laws do dictate what you do and dont do. And its for the benefit of the people (in theory).

But Big Ben is obviously a Big Idiot but I'm sure he doesnt hold his freedom to express himself and 'look cool' as high anymore and might think of safety first.

JeffDunne said:
Might give us a chance to rate Big Ben's true value to the team.

I think that was proven conclusively last season in the games that he missed....the Steelers were very much an average team with Batch at the helm, and a below average team with Turnover Tommy under centre.

statsman74 said:
I think that was proven conclusively last season in the games that he missed....the Steelers were very much an average team with Batch at the helm, and a below average team with Turnover Tommy under centre.
You're preaching to the converted here.

My comment was directed more at the doubters, Woodson would know what I'm talking about.

statsman74 said:
Well, those miracle healers better get thier @rses over to Pittsburgh right away otherwise a 0-4 start beckons.... :p

I thought Batch did very well statsman74. Remember that it's sound coaching and a supportive playing cast that can keep you in the game long enough that GIVES you every chance of getting over the line. A win is a win is a WIN. Didn't you watch the SB XL statsman?? Seattle self destructed which adds to the equation. Teams normally do that with thier starter!! :p We've got that UNDERDOG mentality anyway.

JeffDunne said:
You're preaching to the converted here.

My comment was directed more at the doubters, Woodson would know what I'm talking about.

JD knows what his talking about ...take it from me. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back