Teams Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steel Curtain

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say Mike Tomlin's on the hot seat for sure now.
Oh definitely. The coach is usually the one that is expected to set the environment at a club and right now there is so much disharmony within a few members of the playing group that it is spilling out in public. These guys are not small players for Steelers either.

Oh definitely. The coach is usually the one that is expected to set the environment at a club and right now there is so much disharmony within a few members of the playing group that it is spilling out in public. These guys are not small players for Steelers either.
I think it's real this time. Rooneys let go of one of Tomlin's little culture buddies in Joey Porter (LB Coach) tho that group was one of the best units across the entire NFL. They don't usually get rid of such high performances coaches, and Tomlin certainly wouldn't have made that decision. It's clear the Rooneys are giving Tomlin a chance to amend his ways, getting rid of the bad blood around him in the coaches group. Rooney also said Tomlin would not be extended during the off-season. So he's really got to re-prove himself. Another season of inner turmoil, missed playoffs, will spell curtains probably, or play out his contract.

I think it's real this time. Rooneys let go of one of Tomlin's little culture buddies in Joey Porter (LB Coach) tho that group was one of the best units across the entire NFL. They don't usually get rid of such high performances coaches, and Tomlin certainly wouldn't have made that decision. It's clear the Rooneys are giving Tomlin a chance to amend his ways, getting rid of the bad blood around him in the coaches group. Rooney also said Tomlin would not be extended during the off-season. So he's really got to re-prove himself. Another season of inner turmoil, missed playoffs, will spell curtains probably, or play out his contract.
Yep. He needs to change for the better or else it is over for him.

Yep. He needs to change for the better or else it is over for him.
Must be difficult for the Rooneys. Their formula is sound. Hold onto a coach thru thick and thin, keep a steady system in place. They've had like 3 coaches the last 500 years. And Tomlin really does have a great record too. One doesn't just throw that all away. Very rarely (ahem Chargers, Bears) do clubs get rid of a winning coach.

Must be difficult for the Rooneys. Their formula is sound. Hold onto a coach thru thick and thin, keep a steady system in place. They've had like 3 coaches the last 500 years. And Tomlin really does have a great record too. One doesn't just throw that all away. Very rarely (ahem Chargers, Bears) do clubs get rid of a winning coach.
Yeah, but they also risk having no improvement. Steelers have been "thereabouts but not quite there" for many years now, and when you combine that with the issue that has just surfaced this season it means that the coach has something to prove to remain in his position. I don't mind him staying, but I want to see result that gives me more confidence in him than what I have now.

Yeah, but they also risk having no improvement. Steelers have been "thereabouts but not quite there" for many years now, and when you combine that with the issue that has just surfaced this season it means that the coach has something to prove to remain in his position. I don't mind him staying, but I want to see result that gives me more confidence in him than what I have now.
I love that about the Steelers. They have 1 or 2 sub-playoff years and the entire fanbase and organization inside has a fit and wants blood. Not the sheep of other teams who year after year who defend their teams/FOs, or even FOs who are happy to get 6-8 wins a year. They all say they want nothing but championships, but a lot of the problem stems from the owners being satisfied turning over a mega NFL profit year to year.

I can see your point tho. Specifically, Roethlisberger is getting near the end, a number of other key players getting on in age, and there's a "rebuild" of sorts to accomplish soon, find a genuine franchise QB again otherwise all hope is lost, and it might be time to clean the baby with the bathwater for a new era. I mean, even Bill Cowher despite all his AFCN domination only managed two SB berths, and 1 SB win. That's pretty poor when you really think about it.

I love that about the Steelers. They have 1 or 2 sub-playoff years and the entire fanbase and organization inside has a fit and wants blood. Not the sheep of other teams who year after year who defend their teams/FOs, or even FOs who are happy to get 6-8 wins a year. They all say they want nothing but championships, but a lot of the problem stems from the owners being satisfied turning over a mega NFL profit year to year.

I can see your point tho. Specifically, Roethlisberger is getting near the end, a number of other key players getting on in age, and there's a "rebuild" of sorts to accomplish soon, find a genuine franchise QB again otherwise all hope is lost, and it might be time to clean the baby with the bathwater for a new era. I mean, even Bill Cowher despite all his AFCN domination only managed two SB berths, and 1 SB win. That's pretty poor when you really think about it.
Yeah it is, and right now Steelers are currently fairly stagnant. Solid but not spectacular. In the mix but rarely significant. Play-off regulars but Super Bowl absentees. Roethlisberger is slowing down and they need to do something about where the team is at and where the team is heading to. I don't want Steelers to be one of those teams that are in the wilderness for many years like Richmond were in the AFL, but at the same time they are just not doing much season after season.

Yeah it is, and right now Steelers are currently fairly stagnant. Solid but not spectacular. In the mix but rarely significant. Play-off regulars but Super Bowl absentees. Roethlisberger is slowing down and they need to do something about where the team is at and where the team is heading to. I don't want Steelers to be one of those teams that are in the wilderness for many years like Richmond were in the AFL, but at the same time they are just not doing much season after season.
To be fair....the Steelers have had the juggernaut Patriots having a dynasty to end all dynasties. Managed to get to 2 SBs in between all the TB/BB domination. Similar happened when the great 70s Raiders kept making the AFCCG but ran into the Steelers dynasty. Managed a couple wins, could've had more, but the Steelers stole the show/era.

Just bad timing. Steelers HAVE TO find that next franchise QB to step right in. Otherwise could be 5-10 years of trying and failing to find that QB, and thus having a really bad cycle a franchise of not making the playoffs constantly.

James Harrison: Steelers drama falls at the feet of Mike Tomlin

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 22, 2019, 6:16 AM EST

gettyimages-4992166181-e1550834158188.jpg

Getty Images

One of the kids who used to play with Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t think the Steelers quarterback should have carte blanche to call out whomever he pleases.

Former Steelers linebacker James Harrison said during an interview on the NFL Network that the current drama in Pittsburgh — where the best players are leaving town, and management is justifying the quarterback ripping teammates — could have been avoided if coach Mike Tomlin would have taken charge.
“I start off at this same thing with [Mike] Tomlin. The head guy has to be the one that takes charge,” Harrison said. “I believe it’s fault on, even with my situation, it’s fault on me. It’s fault on Tomlin. It’s fault on the team. It’s got to this point because Tomlin has allowed a certain amount of things to go on and rather players take advantage of that or step beyond that, it’s got to a point where it’s so far out that now he can’t reign it back in so to speak. And with that being the case it’s Tomlin. It could be some blame on A.B. [Antonio Brown] It could be some blame on Ben. It can go around.”

Harrison’s own history with Tomlin is worth noting, as he tried to get released in 2017, a process which dragged on until late in the season. He’s also questioned Tomlin’s leadership style as a problem before. But hearing General Manager Kevin Colbert to coddle Roethlisberger was difficult for him, since it puts the quarterback on a plane above everyone else in the building.

“For me, Ben being the unquestioned leader, I have no problem with that situation other than the fact that no one is beyond unquestioned,” Harrison said. “That’s a big statement. If I’m in that locker room, I just got put under ’52 kids.’ I’m feeling some sort of way. Even if I didn’t feel that type of way before, like even if there wasn’t a rift on the radar. Now I’m like ‘Is that how they really view me up top?’

“And I think this is what Antonio [Brown] may have said where he said he felt like Ben had an owner’s mentality. And you have the G.M. that’s saying this and that’s how guys may feel, even though that may not be the case. As far as when I was there that’s not how I felt. I communicated with Ben just like I did any other player. We agree or disagree and so on and so forth.”

Harrison said he got that Colbert was trying to back his quarterback, but got “a little overzealous with it.”

But this is the bed the Steelers have made, repeatedly. And now Roethlisberger’s going to have to lie in it without one of the best receivers in football.

Ex-Steeler says Roethlisberger once fumbled on purpose to spite Todd Haley

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 17, 2019, 5:29 AM EDT

gettyimages-904917986-e1552814977745.jpg

Getty Images

Former Steelers running back Josh Harris says Ben Roethlisberger fumbled on purpose late in a 2014 game because he wanted to spite offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who had called an offensive play when Roethlisberger thought the Steelers’ lead was large enough to kneel down.

It was the very last game of the 2014 regular season, Bengals-Steelers with the AFC North on the line. The Steelers had the ball and a 27-17 lead with 1:09 to play, and they could have just kneeled three times to run out the clock. But the coaching staff decided to call a play. That’s when, according to Harris, Roethlisberger fumbled intentionally.

“Todd Haley called a run play with very little time left in the game,” Harris wrote on Twitter. “Ben wanted to kneel. He rolled his eyes in the huddle. He then purposely fumbles the ball. I had to recover it. At that moment I knew what kinda person he was.”

Harris, lined up at running back in an I-formation, said he was supposed to get the handoff on the play, and Roethlisberger intentionally stuck the ball out in front of fullback Will Johnson to cause a fumble. After Harris recovered the fumble, Roethlisberger kneeled to run out the clock on the next play.

“And I was a fan of Ben,” Harris wrote. “I was star struck when I first saw him. It was an honor to see Big Ben. Then I saw what he was. It made it sour for me. That’s why they tell you never meet your hero’s.”

Fumbling on purpose late in an important game sounds so ridiculous it’s hard to believe, but Harris is adamant that it happened, and he says it’s an example of the kinds of things Roethlisberger does that make him fall out of favor with many in the Steelers’ locker room.

Saw that, interesting, just watched the play on Gamepass. Steelers were up 10, just over a minute to play, Bengals only 1 TO left. So, absolutely zero reason to do anything other than kneel, gotta give it to Ben on that point. Ball kinda brushed off the lead FB, could very well have been intentional by Roth. I don't think anyone doubts he's a dick at this point.

Ex-Steeler says Roethlisberger once fumbled on purpose to spite Todd Haley

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 17, 2019, 5:29 AM EDT

gettyimages-904917986-e1552814977745.jpg

Getty Images

Former Steelers running back Josh Harris says Ben Roethlisberger fumbled on purpose late in a 2014 game because he wanted to spite offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who had called an offensive play when Roethlisberger thought the Steelers’ lead was large enough to kneel down.

It was the very last game of the 2014 regular season, Bengals-Steelers with the AFC North on the line. The Steelers had the ball and a 27-17 lead with 1:09 to play, and they could have just kneeled three times to run out the clock. But the coaching staff decided to call a play. That’s when, according to Harris, Roethlisberger fumbled intentionally.

“Todd Haley called a run play with very little time left in the game,” Harris wrote on Twitter. “Ben wanted to kneel. He rolled his eyes in the huddle. He then purposely fumbles the ball. I had to recover it. At that moment I knew what kinda person he was.”

Harris, lined up at running back in an I-formation, said he was supposed to get the handoff on the play, and Roethlisberger intentionally stuck the ball out in front of fullback Will Johnson to cause a fumble. After Harris recovered the fumble, Roethlisberger kneeled to run out the clock on the next play.

“And I was a fan of Ben,” Harris wrote. “I was star struck when I first saw him. It was an honor to see Big Ben. Then I saw what he was. It made it sour for me. That’s why they tell you never meet your hero’s.”

Fumbling on purpose late in an important game sounds so ridiculous it’s hard to believe, but Harris is adamant that it happened, and he says it’s an example of the kinds of things Roethlisberger does that make him fall out of favor with many in the Steelers’ locker room.

Sorry, calling BULLDUST on this. Harris was a RB3 at best and it's a case of a sour grapes story. I watched the clip and it's on Harris who fumbled. Video doesn't lie. Milking a Ben and Haley 'broken relationship' isn't what one does close to the goal-line to point the finger.

bx9zpzagtekamz5suei2.jpeg

For one reason or another... didn't spend any time whatsoever looking into the draft this season.. adopted the 'hear about it later' mantra..

But with a bunch of Steeler contacts I have (all in the USA), I was kept updated of what was going on... LOVED the trade up to snare Devin Bush.

It was apparent immediately that Steeler Nation have adopted that catch-cry of 'Booger' > from Revenge of the Nerds fame..

weve-got-bush_Booger.jpg

My contact in New Jersey believes the Steelers have got a Third round STEAL in CB Justin Layne who comes from Bell's alumni.

Plenty to like about the 4th round pick, Benny Snell, judging by the highlight reel. Doubt fans will miss Bell with #30 James Conner already breaking Bell's records last season. There is a chance Snell wears the same #26 number of the great Steeler HOFer. :thumbsu:

Round 5 pick, Zach Gentry is a former QB (Texas A & M) who changed colleges to Michigan to become a TE. At 6' 8"..265lb plenty to like about learning the TE traits to become a keeper in da 'Burgh.

Chism had a laugh at the college of where the Steelers plucked early third round selection, Johnson. He is reportedly a great route runner and also a decent returner. Speed isn't everything.

Latter picks.. who knows if they make the cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clowns have gawn. Bryant, Bell and Brown. Monty Moncrief is an adequate WR replacement. Drafted a pounder in Snell and route runner in WR Johnson who can also return kicks. Big Ben signed an extension.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Steelers are "optimistic Ben Roethlisberger will recover from elbow surgery to reattach three tendons."
Mort added that while Big Ben is not cleared to throw yet, he's tracking better and wants and expects to play in 2020 and beyond. Roethlisberger will turn 38 in March. The report comes as a calming clarification after indications that there could be some complications with the recovery of the Steelers' long-time franchise QB. Retirement will remain a constant question for as long as Big Ben continues to play.
SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter
Dec 23, 2019, 5:53 PM ET

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Steelers are "optimistic Ben Roethlisberger will recover from elbow surgery to reattach three tendons."
Mort added that while Big Ben is not cleared to throw yet, he's tracking better and wants and expects to play in 2020 and beyond. Roethlisberger will turn 38 in March. The report comes as a calming clarification after indications that there could be some complications with the recovery of the Steelers' long-time franchise QB. Retirement will remain a constant question for as long as Big Ben continues to play.
SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter
Dec 23, 2019, 5:53 PM ET

Unless the Pats Dynasty ringleaders (BB & TB12) are retired, no way Jose does Tomlin lead this franchise beyond a Division play-off. Big Ben will return but the WR class will be 'thereabouts' but never elite again.

Problematic for us.....

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette contract-year DE Cameron Heyward could be part of a Steelers free agent exodus next offseason because of 2021's projected lower salary cap.
Heyward is due $9.5 million in the final year of his contract. As Bouchette notes, in normal times, Heyward probably would have already been extended as a means of reducing his 2020 cap number. These are not normal times, though, something GM Kevin Colbert alluded to this week. “The league has set in place a $175 million floor,’’ Colbert said of 2021. “So we know that’s the lowest it can go. Where it goes from there nobody knows because no one can predict their revenues at this point. None of us." Bud Dupree, James Conner, Ali Villanueva, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Matt Feiler, Mike Hilton and Zach Banner are amongst the other Steelers headed into the final year of their deals. Although Bouchette is correct that the cap downturn could create an exodus, it's also true that all 32 teams will be in the same boat. Veteran bargains will be a common theme next spring.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 27, 2020, 4:00 PM ET

Steelers signed DE Cameron Heyward to a four-year, $71.4 million extension through 2024.
Pro Football Focus' No. 2 interior defensive lineman behind Aaron Donald last season, Heyward is genuinely one of the more underrated stars in the sport. The 31-year-old former No. 31 overall pick in 2011, Heyward has amassed 29 sacks over the last three seasons while playing top-notch run defense. An every-down lineman, Heyward is now the league's fourth-highest paid interior lineman behind Donald, DeForest Buckner, and Chris Jones if the $71.4 million numbers are correct.
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Sep 6, 2020, 10:13 PM ET

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly predicts Steelers TE Eric Ebron will be a dominant force in the red zone this season.
Kaboly predicted 11 touchdowns for Ebron in his first season with the Steelers, with nine of those scores coming inside the 20 yard line. He said the team has "never had a red zone threat like Ebron," who could solve the Steelers' red zone woes from last year. In 2019, Pittsburgh's offense converted 35 percent of its red zone possessions to touchdowns -- the lowest rate in the NFL. Probably that has something to do with Ben Roethlisberger missing most of the 2019 season, but Kaboly believes Ebron will carry over the red zone domination he displayed in 2018 to this year's Steelers. Kaboly projected Ebron for 66 catches and 878 yards to go along with 11 scores. That stat line would've made Ebron the No. 3 fantasy tight end in 2019. The Steelers in Week 1 take on the Giants, who allowed 7.37 targets per game to tight ends last season.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 14, 2020, 9:47 AM ET

Nice win yesterday, nothing special but done what we had to do. Defence came up against a very underwhelming Giants O Line and made them(And Saquon) look pedestrian. Big Ben knocked the rust off, starting with the 2 minute drill before half time, and continued on in the 2nd half. Injuries out of the game are a concern. Especially Banner who fought all summer for the starting job. This week we face a Denver team who based on MNF we should beat back at Heinz Field

Nice win yesterday, nothing special but done what we had to do. Defence came up against a very underwhelming Giants O Line and made them(And Saquon) look pedestrian. Big Ben knocked the rust off, starting with the 2 minute drill before half time, and continued on in the 2nd half. Injuries out of the game are a concern. Especially Banner who fought all summer for the starting job. This week we face a Denver team who based on MNF we should beat back at Heinz Field
yep, it was a good solid workmanlike win, it appeared so, but we really dominated on D and O, the score flattering to the Giants

we'll make short order of the toothless broncos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back