Teams Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steel Curtain

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Ben has fallen off the cliff, he wants to be back next year, but we ought to find his replacement in the draft or trade this off-season. I dont think hes able to take us far into the playoffs this season. Hes cooked.

-------

Ben Roethlisberger has the third lowest adjusted completion rate on deep passes this season.
Accounting for drops, Roethlisberger has completed 32.8 percent of his passes over 20 yards this year, per Pro Football Focus. That's the third lowest rate among quarterbacks who have played at least half their teams offensive snaps in 2020. Roethlisberger, especially in recent weeks, has been wildly inaccurate at times, raising questions about his comeback from offseason elbow surgery. He completed just 52.5 percent of his passes during Monday night's shocking loss to the Bengals. Roethlisberger -- who has seen the least pressure among all QBs this season -- has been less than serviceable for fantasy purposes of late, scoring less than 14 fantasy points in three of his past four outings. The aged veteran won't be more than a mid-range QB2 in Week 16 against the Colts.

Interesting that the discussion was that Ben was calling his own plays in the 2nd half against Indy. At the very least it looked like he was prepared to take a few hits to stay in the pocket longer to be able to get the ball downfield.

I wonder if the last month has just been all about self-preservation, thinking they could ease their way to the finish, but realised they needed to get some good form under their belts and shifted gears earlier than they hoped.

Anyway, its the Mason Rudolph experience this week, which is our annual reminder that we've been completely negligent in looking after the backup QB position.

Not looking ahead too far, but Ben's contract is going to be a killer. Dont really want to renegotiate because he does look cooked at times, but I dont think he's going to retire either. Its going to cost us players.

Its the most anticipated thing and the hottest topic....our QB decisions in 2021. Do we force Ben to retire to free up cap space. Do we let him play another year while we draft his replacement in the early rounds. Do we let him go and sign a vet FA and also draft an early round guy to develop. Etc.

You hope the cowboys don't want to commit to Prescott long term and get him. Dak with the Steelers seems like a perfect fit to me.

Barring a miracle playoff run I think it's impossible bring Ben back (especially with what his salary would be next year) on what we have seen over the second half of the season.

You hope the cowboys don't want to commit to Prescott long term and get him. Dak with the Steelers seems like a perfect fit to me.

Barring a miracle playoff run I think it's impossible bring Ben back (especially with what his salary would be next year) on what we have seen over the second half of the season.
Dak is a good suggestion.
There are a number of good suggestions, but it all depends how things shake up in the off-season, who is available, which team is willing to trade a QB, which team makes the better offers, which QBs end up FAs, etc.
Don't wanna try to forecast it, just gonna sit back and see what the FO does.

Dak is a good suggestion.
There are a number of good suggestions, but it all depends how things shake up in the off-season, who is available, which team is willing to trade a QB, which team makes the better offers, which QBs end up FAs, etc.
Don't wanna try to forecast it, just gonna sit back and see what the FO does.

Steelers have tried to develop QBs, none have worked out. That's why Ben is still playing. They are perpetually in win now mode. Can't see them taking a QB in the draft in the hopes of them being a long term answer in the second of third round (Unless someone like Trask, Lance or Jones falls to them in the first round but I reckon they will all be gone long before the Steelers pick)

Steelers have tried to develop QBs, none have worked out. That's why Ben is still playing. They are perpetually in win now mode. Can't see them taking a QB in the draft in the hopes of them being a long term answer in the second of third round (Unless someone like Trask, Lance or Jones falls to them in the first round but I reckon they will all be gone long before the Steelers pick)
We drafted Ben in the 1st didn't we? We developed him on the fly. He started, and we gave him half the field to throw to, little by little allowing him to acclimate and improve, giving him more as he developed...like what the Seahawks did with Russell Wilson too.
So, I think if/when we do draft a young player to be our future, we'll probably use the same method again....still in win-now mode whilst also developing at the same time.

We drafted Ben in the 1st didn't we? We developed him on the fly. He started, and we gave him half the field to throw to, little by little allowing him to acclimate and improve, giving him more as he developed...like what the Seahawks did with Russell Wilson too.
So, I think if/when we do draft a young player to be our future, we'll probably use the same method again....still in win-now mode whilst also developing at the same time.

They've tried drafting and to develop with Dobbs and Rudolph, 4th and 3rd round picks I'm pretty sure?

Ben was a top 10 pick wasn't he? Not exactly close to where the Steelers will be picking from this year.

Is there a QB in this class who is ranked around the late 1st to early 2nd?

Not really, that's what I'm trying to say.

Maybe Trask or Jones if one slides but I reckon both go in the top 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember this draft well - was so excited we had a decent pick I listen to it through the night in bed while the wife slept. We got him at pick 11 - but the team was far stronger and deeper around him, that we didnt need him to set the world on fire initially and we could rely on our D and run game.

This current Steelers team - decent D (although always seem to be covering injuries) but the OL is weaker and the run game is useless. Not sure we'd be able to be as patient.

If we can convince Ben to retire - and I dont know if we can or the cap ramificiations if we do - I'd chase another established QB around the league. Hell, Fitzmagic might even get the job done and be cheap enough to allow us to invest in other areas. Could Darnold work in Pittsburgh if the Jets go QB? Brissett?

If he cap ramifications are nil for Ben retiring, then yeah, throw a lot of coin at Dak and lock him in for the next decade.

Its a shame Bill O'B has left Houston. We could have gotten Watson and JJ for some pocket lint and Tomlin's face mask.

We might have to sign / trade for a stud under the radar like Heinicke, maybe Fitzmagic for a year, maybe Prescott like you say, or Darnold etc.

Hadnt seen this post when I responded just then. Great minds....

Fitz would work well with the current Steelers....throw a ton, no run game. Could allow us to draft OL, RB, and importantly, trade some player(s), trade down in 2021, acquire some 1sts.....wait another year before drafting a 1st round QB by trading up with all the draft ammo we might have.

Doesnt look like Prescott will be available, S.Jones saying absolutely Dak is still their guy and theyll lock him up. Supposedly the Jets still believe in Darnold....itd be stupid to throw away an early first spent on a QB so soon, been only 3 years. Not like hes done a Haskins, being immature and focused not on football.

If the Bears give up on Trubisky, i reckon hed make a good Steeler option too. Even Bengals Brandon Allen has looked decent, if they let him go, another bridge QB option for us.Wouldnt say no Mariota either.

Better late than never, tho points to lack of innovation as everyones doing it now.....Taysom, Brissett, type packages.....

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said the team has "openly talk about what Josh (Dobbs) brings" to the offense ahead of this weekend's game against the Browns.
Tomlin said Dobbs might be active Sunday instead of Mason Rudolph. Dobbs got some Week 17 playing time in a meaningless game against the Browns, completing 4-of-5 passes for two yards and rushing twice for 20 yards. Tomlin said afterward it was a "possibility" Dobbs could see some snaps going forward. Pittsburgh coaches are intrigued by what Dobbs can bring to the team's offense, which was largely stagnant in the season's final month. Dobbs might be given a package of plays on short yardage or goal line situations this week against Cleveland. That would be less than great for Ben Roethlisberger's DFS upside.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Aditi Kinkhabwala
Jan 5, 2021, 12:27 PM ET

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said "it’s reasonable to assume there is a chance [Ben Roethlisberger] is going to be back, certainly."
You won't find more tortured coach-speak if you dedicated your life to finding it. The takeaway from Tomlin's carefully phrased comment is that no one really knows whether Roethlisberger, 38, will play out his contract, which ends after the 2021 season. He appeared emotional at the end of Pittsburgh's Wild Card loss to Cleveland, but didn't address his 2021 status after throwing four interceptions against the Browns. Roethlisberge's adjusted yards per attempt has plummeted over the past couple seasons and he struggled with accuracy at times in 2020, coming off elbow surgery. The Steelers would certainly make one more run with Roethlisberger if he's willing to give it another go in 2021.
SOURCE: Joe Rutter on Twitter
Jan 13, 2021, 2:27 PM ET

The long-snapper is a beast....

Steelers signed CB Trevor Williams, TE Kevin Rader, WR Anthony Johnson, WR Cody White, OT Anthony Coyle, OT Brandon Walton, S John Battle, LB Tegray Scales, DT Demarcus Christmas, DE Calvin Taylor, P Corliss Waitman, LS Christian Kuntz and OT John Leglue to reserve/future contracts.
A 15-game starter for the Chargers in 2017, Williams has made only seven since, all of which came for the Bolts in 2018. Going on 28, he will be a long shot to crack the Steelers' 53-man roster in 2021.
SOURCE: Steelers Depot on Twitter
Jan 14, 2021, 4:12 PM ET

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the Steelers will retain DC Keith Butler for 2021.
The Steelers are having a bit of an identity crisis after yet another gutting end to a season, having already chosen to part ways with OC Randy Fichtner. On the job since 2015 and on the coaching staff since 2003, Butler will survive after his defense was top five by almost any metric. Thanks in part to injuries, the unit did spring major leaks down the stretch, proving vulnerable to big plays and missing some seemingly obvious adjustments. The talent on the field and brainpower on the sideline will remain there for 2021, however.
SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter
Jan 14, 2021, 5:55 PM ET

Steelers promoted QBs coach Matt Canada to offensive coordinator.
Canada recently interviewed for the Dolphins' coordinator role following his first full season in the league. A long-time coach in the college ranks, Canada, 48, at the very least offers a fresh perspective away from whatever the Steelers were attempting to create on offense with ex-OC Randy Fichtner calling the shots this past year. Even if JuJu Smith-Schuster signs elsewhere in free agency, Canada will still have Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, and James Washington to work with in three-wide sets for the 2021 season.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 16, 2021, 2:54 PM ET

Steelers signed QB Dwayne Haskins, DB Stephen Denmark, TE Charles Jones, and TE Dax Raymond to reserve/future contracts.
Haskins joins the Steelers after his two-year run in Washington ended with the team releasing him following a blatant violation of COVID-19 protocols. Pittsburgh also adds Jones and Raymond to a relatively shallow tight end depth chart. Raymond -- who had a 73rd percentile speed score at the 2019 NFL combine -- was one of Jordan Love's primary targets at Utah State. He was signed by Chicago as an undrafted free agent in 2019 before being released by the Bears after the 2019 season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Steelers.com
Jan 21, 2021, 2:57 PM ET

Steelers owner Art Rooney II said there would have to be "significant concessions" for Ben Roethlisberger to be back with the team in 2021.
Roethlisberger's $41.2M cap hit won't work for the Steelers with the reduction in salary cap, Rooney said. It's a loaded statement about a soon-to-be 39-year-old QB who struggled mightily through large parts of the 2020 season. Roethlisberger's adjusted yards per attempt has plummeted over the past couple seasons and he struggled with accuracy at times in 2020, coming off elbow surgery. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said "it’s reasonable to assume there is a chance [Ben Roethlisberger] is going to be back, certainly," shortly after the team was embarrassed by the Browns in the Wild Card round. Rooney's statement creates real questions about whether Roethlisberger will give it one last go with Pittsburgh. The Steelers will have to grapple with difficult salary cap decisions in the coming months.
SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Jan 28, 2021, 2:26 PM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Back