Places to Visit - Santorini, Greece

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my favourites and I have been fortunate enough to have gone there a few times. It is the famous Island of Santorini in Greece you can fly there from Athens or take a ferry from the port of Pireaus. Santorini is known for it's beautiful sunsets and some say they are the best in the world, the most advatageous point to view the sunsets is from the town of Oia, where you can sit on the rocks and just watch the sunset slowly set into the backdrop of the Aegean Sea - leaving an enourmous array of colours filling the sky.

Santorini suffered quite a few volcanic eruptions in it's time and the shape of the island was changed forever, the centre of the Island sank leaving a caldera (crater) with high cliffs, the view is absolutely is absolutely breathtaking and the islands capital Thira has the best views along with a few other towns along the cliff face. The pristine white houses cling to the towering cliffs that rise from the sea hundred of feet below.

Plenty to do in Santorini, laze on the beaches, hire a moped and go around the island sightseeing, visit museums, nice wine and dining in the clifftop restaurants, party on at the various clubs or just go for walks...the ultimate holiday destination.

Santorinisunset.JPG

pdsant4.jpg

campbell said:
Totally awesome how those house sit on the mountainside.Looks spectacular.

It's looks very idyllic. A nice view to look at when you get up in the morning, that's for sure.

I'll just go back to my view of a fence. :(

embleygirl said:
It's looks very idyllic. A nice view to look at when you get up in the morning, that's for sure.

I'll just go back to my view of a fence. :(

I am lucky to have a wonderful mountain view from my back deck.But, that view looks awesome.
We stayed at the Medina in Brisbane a while a go.No thats a view.Just to the right the story bridge, from my bedroom,down the Brisbane River to the gardens.Awesome.Siting in the spa sipping champagne looking at that view.So peaceful.

campbell said:
Totally awesome how those house sit on the mountainside.Looks spectacular.

Is it dear to stay there?

Depends on where you stay..if it is along the cliff face some of the hotels charge around $250 - $300 a night, there are also pensions ( ppl's homes) that you can rent a room from they range around $50 - $100 a night...the further away you are from the cliff face the cheaper it is. We have stayed at the same hotel the last few times I have been there, if you look at the picture of all the houses I have posted our hotel was around halfway down. We had a balcony and just sat there in the evening watching the sunsets and then went out on the town.

Aquamarinejewel said:
Depends on where you stay..if it is along the cliff face some of the hotels charge around $250 - $300 a night, there are also pensions ( ppl's homes) that you can rent a room from they range around $50 - $100 a night...the further away you are from the cliff face the cheaper it is. We have stayed at the same hotel the last few times I have been there, if you look at the picture of all the houses I have posted our hotel was around halfway down. We had a balcony and just sat there in the evening watching the sunsets and then went out on the town.
Spent about a week there recuperating after eating a dodgy Kebap at Cannakele whilst visiting Gallipolli . Took me a good 3-4 weeks to get over that ... but thats another story .

Spent three nights in a hostel down at Perissa Beach then upgraded to a Pensione because with three of us it ended up about the same as the Hostel ... from memory it was about $15 a head . As AMJ said , beautiful place .

This was back before the euro came in . Everything was just really cheap . You could go out every night and have a three course meal washed down with a couple of beers and a bottle of red for about $25 bucks a head . Magnificent

Has anyone riden the Donkeys from the Oia port up to the township ? LMAO @ that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back