Gibbs will have another big year, solid unique
Fyfe will av 100+
M.Crouch will be 100+
Laird a lock for prem DEF
Walters haven't seen he'll be a consistent prem
Sandi still dominates tap work
Brayshaw cash cow
Doodee cash cow
Murphy an outside cash cow. Would need injuries to get a game.

Few freo fans reckon he'll see the same fwd/mid role he did last year. I personally don't, we've recruited hard in the midfield this year and there's only so many rotations.

Wouldn't touch him, as he could spend half a game up forward in a team that could struggle.

Will he get the tag or do you think they will stick with Sloane?

Either way, it's a good problem for the Crows to have!
I honestly think when you have too many midfield guns, that teams are reluctant to tag. If both Sloane and Gibbs can torch them, it would make more sense to just go midfield against midfield, rather than trying to nullify. In situations where someone is completely dominating, they might send someone to that player, but I've got a feeling that coaches will have to re-think their strategies when it comes to 4 star midfielders, as opposed to 3. Crouch brothers, Gibbs and Sloane against Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett and Duncan will be the absolute must see of the year. Guthrie and Scooter might go to Gibbs and Sloane, but similarly then Gibson and Knight could go to Ablett and Selwood. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds...

Not quite, but Gibbs is sure tempting the hell out of me. I reckon Fyfe 'll get his 100-110, but he's also gonna play forward a lot this year apparently. Gibbs however, has an 81 with 78% T.O.G and only 9 minutes into the third quarter. Definitely coming into considerations.

Even with a starting price of 686k, I'm not sure we will get a chance at him if he doesnt start in Rd1. Fyfe wont be like Dusty or Danger when they move forward, it looks as if he will run from CHF and go on seaching leads up field!

I am a biased Gibbs fan, somehow he always makes it into my rd1 team!

On a personal note, if we are struggling and Sonny is stuck in a forward pocket, Ross will be on shaky ground with me, and I'm kinda important, to me :$

Eh it's not too bad for me. Get mid time into Brayshaw, Cerra, etc. Sonny's our most talented forward and we struggle to score. Peter and Paul.

I just think all the Freo regular mids are too risky except Fyfe. Too many rotations, plenty of question marks about who's playing forward and they're all good there. Chances are even Neale might spend some time up foward.

One I'm surprised that no-one is talking about, is Lynch. Another solid game and always gets his 90-100. Another consistent one like McRae or M. Crouch
Lynch is an accumulator, last season I brought him in vs NM and lands 39 in the first qtr, knocked out at the start of the second and didn't play for a couple... gahhh!

Lynch is an accumulator, last season I brought him in vs NM and lands 39 in the first qtr, knocked out at the start of the second and didn't play for a couple... gahhh!

Haha I remember that game. He was on fire til then. Out of all the forwards, I'd say he's the most reliable. I'm leaning towards him and Smith as my two premos in the forward line, just for that consistency.

Haha I remember that game. He was on fire til then. Out of all the forwards, I'd say he's the most reliable. I'm leaning towards him and Smith as my two premos in the forward line, just for that consistency.
Lynch will give you consistency, but doesn't have much ceiling. He also didn't have much room to increase his average. But you know what your posting for, as a safe to 10 FWD.

Definitely was on the money about Dom Barry. Already on 59 at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd quarter

EDIT: Finished with an 80. Nearly the same as Motlop, Watts and Thomas combined (83). Mature age recruit with a spot to fill, definitely looks the goods.

Last edited:
I honestly think when you have too many midfield guns, that teams are reluctant to tag. If both Sloane and Gibbs can torch them, it would make more sense to just go midfield against midfield, rather than trying to nullify. In situations where someone is completely dominating, they might send someone to that player, but I've got a feeling that coaches will have to re-think their strategies when it comes to 4 star midfielders, as opposed to 3. Crouch brothers, Gibbs and Sloane against Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett and Duncan will be the absolute must see of the year. Guthrie and Scooter might go to Gibbs and Sloane, but similarly then Gibson and Knight could go to Ablett and Selwood. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds...

you are way too obsessed with tagging. all of your posts are about tagging. if you look at guys like merrett, danger, zorko, martin, treloar, kelly etc. they all get tagged because theyre good! id love to see your team probably full of guys who cant find the footy!

you are way too obsessed with tagging. all of your posts are about tagging. if you look at guys like merrett, danger, zorko, martin, treloar, kelly etc. they all get tagged because theyre good! id love to see your team probably full of guys who cant find the footy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redden such a good price but not enough room for my team atm, he will most likely average 98+ with Priddis there.

Fyfe and Martin are in career best form also.

Mate, seriously, shut up. Do you notice no-one else in here being aggressive or demeaning? Everyone else is able to have a respectful discussion and voice their opinions in a level manner. My midfield has Mitchell, Beams, Duncan, Treloar, Fyfe, O'Meara, Brayshaw and Kelly at the moment. Last time I checked, the first 6 had no issue finding the footy. I discuss tagging a lot, because that's become the 'en vogue' thing. Every time someone's score was affected, it was because they'd been tagged. Merrett started off like lightning, finished the season poorly because of being tagged. Selwood scores 175 early on, had injuries and then faltered when he got tagged. Sloane had several scores over 150 early on, teams cottoned on to limiting Adelaide's output when Sloane was down, they tagged him. Gibbs has a 192 one week, plays Brisbane and Rocky tags him for a 37. Zorko has a 181, teams realize he can't handle a tag, ends up with a 45. Martin, Dangerfield and Fyfe were touted as having different positioning, along with Adams, Pendlebury, Cripps, Goddard and Cotchin. That has nothing to do with tagging. And to be fair, nearly every piece of Supercoach information, info from The Traders, info online from Fantasy gurus and even people in here, talks about a person's potential to be tagged and how that limits their scoring ability. You obviously don't know what you're talking about and thought you'd come in and act all tough, but I'm not buying it. Come back to me with some actual data or an argument that shows why I'm wrong. 'Til then, keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:
Redden such a good price but not enough room for my team atm, he will most likely average 98+ with Priddis there.

Redden scored well but I'm still unsure if he'll break out enough to warrant selection. Coming off an 83av season, yes they lost Priddis & Mitchell but it doesn't simply work that the next in line picks up the average. I'm not reading too much into the JLT form of the Eagles in Perth either, for instance Gaff looked super as well but his average out of WA is terrible. Pity we won't see them play interstate before.

Redden scored well but I'm still unsure if he'll break out enough to warrant selection. Coming off an 83av season, yes they lost Priddis & Mitchell but it doesn't simply work that the next in line picks up the average. I'm not reading too much into the JLT form of the Eagles in Perth either, for instance Gaff looked super as well but his average out of WA is terrible. Pity we won't see them play interstate before.
Look up Redden's stat's when Priddis was not playing last year.

Gaff I agree with he seems to play hot for 5-10 rounds and slows down.

Look up Redden's stat's when Priddis was not playing last year.

Gaff I agree with he seems to play hot for 5-10 rounds and slows down.
Have done as suggested, looks like round 15,19 & 20 in 2017? Scores 94, 104 & 89 - av 95. Each to their own but I feel he's a trap. Not likely to average over 100 and he would have to compete with Mitchell, Merrett, Kelly, Martin & Trealor for a spot in my 5 gun MIDs.

It'll depend on where you have him, M5 is too high for me. Has to be a lock 100+ av and I'd like them to have a chance of pushing 110. M6 you start going deep into mids here and pay a high price. O'Meara is more appealing at his price for M6 than Redden and they'll av the same (if they both play without injury).

Long story short, good unique but I feel his price / score will compromise another line and he's just not bankable to take the risk.

Fyfe and Martin have had two of the most dominant seasons of all time in recent years, i am not sure i would be willing to say they are in that sort of form yet.

But wow they were both fantastic. Would be great for the comp to have Dusty, Danger and Fyfe all playing career best footy in the same year. We would get some bloody great games.

Mate, seriously, shut up. Do you notice no-one else in here being aggressive or demeaning? Everyone else is able to have a respectful discussion and voice their opinions in a level manner. My midfield has Mitchell, Beams, Duncan, Treloar, Fyfe, O'Meara, Brayshaw and Kelly at the moment. Last time I checked, the first 6 had no issue finding the footy. I discuss tagging a lot, because that's become the 'en vogue' thing. Every time someone's score was affected, it was because they'd been tagged. Merrett started off like lightning, finished the season poorly because of being tagged. Selwood scores 175 early on, had injuries and then faltered when he got tagged. Sloane had several scores over 150 early on, teams cottoned on to limiting Adelaide's output when Sloane was down, they tagged him. Gibbs has a 192 one week, plays Brisbane and Rocky tags him for a 37. Zorko has a 181, teams realize he can't handle a tag, ends up with a 45. Martin, Dangerfield and Fyfe were touted as having different positioning, along with Adams, Pendlebury, Cripps, Goddard and Cotchin. That has nothing to do with tagging. And to be fair, nearly every piece of Supercoach information, info from The Traders, info online from Fantasy gurus and even people in here, talks about a person's potential to be tagged and how that limits their scoring ability. You obviously don't know what you're talking about and thought you'd come in and act all tough, but I'm not buying it. Come back to me with some actual data or an argument that shows why I'm wrong. 'Til then, keep your mouth shut.

tagging isnt a new phenomemon. it happens every year. merrett got tagged but still averaged 117. zorko also got tagged but averaged 114. josh kelly often gets tagged too. sure, they might have the odd doozie because of a tagger but you can't base your team around it. you've got duncan for example solely because he'll never cop a tag. the thing is, he wont be a top 8 mid.

tagging isnt a new phenomemon. it happens every year. merrett got tagged but still averaged 117. zorko also got tagged but averaged 114. josh kelly often gets tagged too. sure, they might have the odd doozie because of a tagger but you can't base your team around it. you've got duncan for example solely because he'll never cop a tag. the thing is, he wont be a top 8 mid.

Well he was a top 8 averaging mid last year (of those that played more than 14 games - i.e. without Ablett)

I'm honestly not convinced on him at this stage, so I'm not overly fussed. Given he's not a big body, he's shown he's really susceptible to a tag, so I think he'll be quite sporadic in his 110+ scores. He'll still go big here and there, but he'll have a down game at one stage, and that's when I'll probably grab him. Again, Mitchell, Parker and Martin are the only one's I have complete confidence in at this stage. This is a bit of a list, but this is how I've come to where I am with my midfield and why players like Zerrett aren't in:

Titch (LOCKED) We all know why - 'oink oink'

Danger (Considering, depends on JLT and how much his role affects him)

Ablett (Strongly considering, but am wary of the chance of him being tagged with Danger being forward and injury history)

Zerrett (Wary, due to susceptibility to a tag and the absolute plethora of midfielders that are reported to be going through)

Adams (Considering, depends on role at half-back and how much midfield time he gets. Should get DPP early on I reckon)

Zorko (Avoiding. Way too susceptible to tags. Can go huge, but can also be sporadic as hell)

Martin (LOCKED) Big body, able to 'don't argue' out of a tag. Consistent and doesn't miss matches

Kelly (Considered, but honestly just looking at Coniglio as a $132K cheaper option. Will also cop a tag more often next season)

Duncan (Strongly considering. With Ablett and Danger the unknown, Menegola playing more forward and Selwood being the only other 'full-time' mid, Duncan is one of those options that could absolutely explode this season. Apparently he's impressed more than anyone during Geelong training and sim matches. Huge POD and smokey if he goes to the next level like a lot around the club are saying. Had a 169 last season so has shown he has a fantasy game)

Gibbs, Sloane, Crouch Brothers (Unsure. Brad is out according to reports and Sloane is not good with a tag, so Gibbs and M Crouch are viable options, but I just don't know what effect Gibbs will have on Crouch's scoring. Definitely a 'watch this space' during JLT

Murphy (Avoid. Can go big but never huge and is also number 1 in line for a tag now that Cripps has been touted as playing 'more forward time.' Will still be good, but far too much for his output.

Pendles, Sidebottom Treloar (Treloar is a strong consideration but was up and down last year. Pendles' role is changing, so I see his score dropping a bit. Sidebottom consistent as hell, but doesn't go big and can have the odd down game. Better for around his price)

Beams (LOCKED) Provided his injury history is behind him, his ability to go massive and just rack up scores at will is hard to dismiss. Always plays midfield and won't be sporadic in his scoring. Zorko more likely to get tagged, but could cop the odd one here and there. Not enough to dismiss him though.

Jack Macrae (Considered due to consistency but Beams at at $4K more can go much bigger)

Rocky (Reasons given above on thread)

Oliver (Considered, but not a strong enough fantasy game yet to justify bringing him in. Could be an upgrade later on in the season though)

Seb Ross (Considered. Absolute gun and can rack up hundreds consistently, but too many better below him that are cheaper)

Cripps (Considered but avoiding. Reports are that he's 'looking to increase his forward line time' and will be switched with Charlie Curnow during games to 'increase Curnow's education in the midfield.')

Parker (LOCKED) This is probably one of my biggest certainties. Hanners and JPK have both been coming back from injury and are still not at 100% a week out from JLT. Heeney is tracking ok, but still not at full 100% due to pre-season issues. Parker is the only mid along with Lloyd who is confirmed to be tracking at full strength. Parker can already go big, but without the others, he could go massive

Fyfe (Strongly considering, due to strength in the contest, consistency and absolute bargain price. Only question mark is his ability to go big consistently, as he has never had a huge fantasy game. Watching with interest during JLT)

Joel Selwood (LOCKED) Given that Ablett will probably cop a tag more than Selwood and Danger will play a lot of time up forward (50/50 most likely), Selwood could easily go 100+ average without breaking a sweat. Top score of 175 last season and ability to consistently score with ease if not tagged makes him hard to go past. For his ability that price is ridiculous as well

Stephen Coniglio (LOCKED) Cheap man's Josh Kelly and could average 110 this season if Kelly cops a tag and he shoulders a lot of the midfield load. 130+ in his finals series last year shows his considerable ability. Ridiculously cheap like Sel, Fyfe and Parker

Steven (Considering. Can go big but is a 'wait and see' during JLT to see if he can get back to his best of a few years ago)

Connor Blakely (Considering, depending on if he gets 'that' role across half back again. Will go 110+ without trying if he does)

Luke Dahlhaus (Locked - For now - in FWD line) Still averaged 85 in a terrible year and has reportedly been the 'standout' along with Libba during pre-season. Could still change depending on JLT form, but as long as he averages 90+ then I'm happy

Luke Macdonald (Considering. Has DPP and cheap as hell for a mid/def. Will move into the Roos midfield this season and could average 90+. Roos don't have a strong fantasy game, so only reason I'm on the fence still)

Phew haha. A lot to consider and this could all change, but these are my preliminary assessments thus far. All the rest are either below 600K or aren't even worth looking at due to roles, inconsistency or better options at a cheaper price. A few of these could still definitely change, but pretty sure Zerrett won't make the cut.
First and foremost, ripper most mate. Throughly enjoyed reading it. :thumbsu:

On the tagging concerns of Zerrett and Zorko I'm personally not to worried at all about either copping a tag. Zerrett only had five scores below 105, those scores were 66, 98, 90, 101 & 89. He wasn't tagged in that 66 game either, that was Anzac Day in the pouring rain when the Pies smashed them and he just played s**t. Of course things could change but taggers were no concern to Zerrett last year I'm not to worried.

Zorko had six scores below 105, only one more that Zerrett. Those scores were 76, 97, 45, 48, 94 & 82. To the best of my research he didn't cop a tag when he scored 45 he played GWS and went head to head with Callan Ward. He was tagged by Dion Prestia when he scored 48 against Richmond. Zorko admittedly is one who can toss up a 50 every now and again because he is that rangey x-factor type of player. For every score of 50 he'll give you a 150.

The price difference between Beams and Zorko of course appeals towards Beams but your concerns of inconsistency and tags applies for Beams just as much, I won't include the game Beams broke his collarbone but on top of that that he did have eight games below 105. Beams managed to pump out some monsters to and you'd be silly not to consider him but I've got more concerns on him than Zorko. Good on you for calling him a lock so early but right now I'm looking at Matt Crouch and Rocky who are similarly priced.

Lol of course if you pump out 181's and 150's, you're still going to average 110+. That's not surprising. I do take your point about tagging not being new, but do I really want to risk that 50, 60 , or 70 on the off chance they might get a hard tag? Sloane was a perfect example of this. People got him in and then got absolutely burned for weeks on end. That's not even close to how my team was chosen. Titch could easily get tagged, but I've still got him. The other guy above talks about the same happening to Beams, he's exactly right. I've chosen my team based on price / consistency / ceiling / whether or not I'll have to trade them in certain scenarios. Example - Martin, Danger, Adams, all new positions. My team changes every day as well lol, but Duncan is one that's sticking around, for 3 reasons -

1. Behind Titch, he has the highest 'consistency rating.' A low of 91 and a high of 169. He also got this score in Round 9, as Mitchell got his top score of 177 in that round as well. Interesting fact though, Mitchell had 90% T.O.G, Duncan only had 75%. For the entire season, Duncan had about 10% less time on ground, on average, than Titch.

2. He has been the best performed all of this pre-season and even since his inaugural season, has not had a season below 70. Two season's of 95 and then exploded for 112 last year. He'll be the one of our midfielders who will constantly play midfield, while Selwoods, Menegola, Danger and Ablett could all play forward/half forward and Guthrie could play half back (according to comments made by the coach and players).

3. There is a chance that he could go 115+ this season, he's only 25 and he'll always be a player that I don't have to worry about their score from one week to the next. 17 scores over 100 (including finals which doesn't count towards score) and 13 scores of 110 or above. These are his scores over 100 for the season (with all other scores ranging from 91 - 99):

128, 106, 113, 134, 117, 128, 169, 109, 100, 128, 104, 117, 120, 117, 131, 110, 160. You be the judge though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back