Strategy Planning for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

apart from his attack on the footy, he offers very little. he is a liablity

look at west coast, they got rid of mitchell and priddis , 2 very slow mids, and now their midfield look slick and quick . likewise hawks.

So Dahl is slow?:eek:

apart from his attack on the footy, he offers very little. he is a liablity

look at west coast, they got rid of mitchell and priddis , 2 very slow mids, and now their midfield look slick and quick . likewise hawks.

Mitchell was playing a gap year though and Priddis retired, both right at the end of their long careers. Dahl is 25. Bit hard to compare. Hodge is doing the same at the Brions. Dahl is averaging around 25 disposals and 5 tackles a game. I think calling him a liability is a stretch.

Mitchell was playing a gap year though and Priddis retired, both right at the end of their long careers. Dahl is 25. Bit hard to compare. Hodge is doing the same at the Brions. Dahl is averaging around 25 disposals and 5 tackles a game. I think calling him a liability is a stretch.

And to put it in perspective 5 of those disposals would go straight to the opposition and another 10 would be mongrel finger breaking kicks to the disadvantage of our forwards. Frustrating to watch and not improving.

Dahl is pretty slow. He has great agility and horizontal movement, but he's not fast at all in terms of running in a straight line.
He used to very quick IMO. Seems less so lately. But thats just my eye.

Because he can’t kick to save his life, are you serious?

Hunter is worse on the snap at goal and not a lot better field kick. In fact Hunter usually does short dinky 20m kicks that often slow momentum. Dunkley is as a bad a kick as Dahl.

Personally don't see why Dahl - who was tracking for AA a couple of yrs ago, and is very durable in an injury prone team is being picked on for a skill deficiency that Honey, Jong, Hunter, Gowers, Dunkley and JJ (to list a few) all display.

Hunter is worse on the snap at goal and not a lot better field kick. In fact Hunter usually does short dinky 20m kicks that often slow momentum. Dunkley is as a bad a kick as Dahl.

Personally don't see why Dahl - who was tracking for AA a couple of yrs ago, and is very durable in an injury prone team is being picked on for a skill deficiency that Honey, Jong, Hunter, Gowers, Dunkley and JJ (to list a few) all display.
Personally, I don’t see myself picking on Dahl. Just saying I’d let him go because he has value. Hunter, JJ and Dunkley are the only others there of value.

Hunter also durable, I think he’s a better user.

JJ can burn the ball but what saves him is that he has something nearly no-one else in the side has. Speed. Without him we become so one-paced it’s not funny.

I’ve been on record in the past as not being a fan of Dunkley. Didn’t want us to draft him. But we did and his best position to contribute for us now is as an inside mid. Takes a good mark too.

And to put it in perspective 5 of those disposals would go straight to the opposition and another 10 would be mongrel finger breaking kicks to the disadvantage of our forwards. Frustrating to watch and not improving.

Dahl is going at 74.6% disposal efficiency this year. Better than Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae and Marcus Bontempelli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dahl is going at 74.6% disposal efficiency this year. Better than Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae and Marcus Bontempelli.

Disposal efficiency stats are a little overated for me because it includes handballs and those little chip kicks backwards etc.
I wonder what his stat would be for kicks inside 50 in the corridor ?? I'm sure its very low like a lot of others at the moment.
From what I'm watching at games half his kicks are either to the wrong option or too high looping into the forward line towards the boundary allowing defenders to easily spoil a contest. And don't get me started on his shots for goal at crucial parts of games.
I like Dahl he gives his all but his kicking is well below average. I have noticed him handballing more so thats good.

Disposal efficiency stats are a little overated for me because it includes handballs and those little chip kicks backwards etc.
I wonder what his stat would be for kicks inside 50 in the corridor ?? I'm sure its very low like a lot of others at the moment.
From what I'm watching at games half his kicks are either to the wrong option or too high looping into the forward line towards the boundary allowing defenders to easily spoil a contest. And don't get me started on his shots for goal at crucial parts of games.
I like Dahl he gives his all but his kicking is well below average. I have noticed him handballing more so thats good.

Scott West made an art form out of it.

He wins the ball and gets it out to the better kicks. That's his job. Tackle, scrag, fight. He's playing less up forward now. When he started his career he played a lot deeper and kicked more goals etc. I think we have a lot more problems such as effort and belief as opposed to Dahl's kicking and as you said, kicks inside 50m from all of the players at the moment are bloody terrible. We'd be better off sitting Suckling somewhere just outside the 50m arc having pot shots, like Steph Curry from the 3 !

Scott West made an art form out of it.

He wins the ball and gets it out to the better kicks. That's his job. Tackle, scrag, fight. He's playing less up forward now. When he started his career he played a lot deeper and kicked more goals etc. I think we have a lot more problems such as effort and belief as opposed to Dahl's kicking and as you said, kicks inside 50m from all of the players at the moment are bloody terrible. We'd be better off sitting Suckling somewhere just outside the 50m arc having pot shots, like Steph Curry from the 3 !
You’re right about effort and belief, and Dahl is far from Robinson Crusoe here but wouldn’t do much for belief when you’re putting set shots out on the full or a steady stream of behinds either.

Players that can capitalise on opportunities would do wonders for some other guys belief/confidence in not just themselves but their teammates as well.

Tom Boyd is another one. Imagine how frustrated you’d be as a midfielder kicking it lace out to Tom Boyd only for him to drop it and cause a ball up and everything gets congested again?

Tom Boyd is another one. Imagine how frustrated you’d be as a midfielder kicking it lace out to Tom Boyd only for him to drop it and cause a ball up and everything gets congested again?
I am having a hard time remembering anyone kicking the ball lace out to Tom Boyd.
Or to anyone...

Careful mate. There's a lot of fans on here that'll rip into you for speaking the truth.

I am having a hard time remembering anyone kicking the ball lace out to Tom Boyd.
Or to anyone...
Grand final first minutes was a perfect example. Remember thinking, please not today Tom. Not today. If I rewatched our 30 odd games since I’m sure I’d find around 15-20 more.

Our first problem is we have way too many key position/ruckmen. Sixteen, over a third of our list play tall.
Campbell
Boyd
Trengove
English
Collins
Young
Naughton
Schache
Redpath
Cordy
Roughead
Roberts
Adams
Wood
Biggs
Morris

Wood, Biggs & Morris can also play on mid size.
The next problem is how many of them are actually any good.
Cordy, Naughton & Young show very good potential. The rest have serious limitations.
With Picken & Dale unavailable our reserves mids are down to 3 possibles Wallis, Jong, Webb based on last weeks VFL team.

We need to unload a minimum of 3 of the above and replace with on ball running midfielders also any mid size player has to be replaced with another mid.

Jeez thats alot of players isnt it
Id be keeping libba thats for sure
And probably suckling after his form this year. And id keep dale morris till his legs fall off.
Still have faith in clay smith.
And gowers id be promoting.
Personally i still think wallis should be in our 22.
Apart from that id nearly get rid of all of them.

I think Dale Morris's legs might have actually already fallen off....you obviously haven't seen the sticky tape budget down at the club

Grand final first minutes was a perfect example. Remember thinking, please not today Tom. Not today. If I rewatched our 30 odd games since I’m sure I’d find around 15-20 more.

You would struggle to find 15 - 20 times in those 30 games you mention where a player hits one of our forwards let alone Tom Boyd lace out so to speak.

Our foot skills are shyte.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back