Planning for AFL Fantasy 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently if they think a player will be too under priced they will price it as they please to keep the game challenging o_O Similar to the pricing of players like Beams and Fyfe who should both be priced at less. But that Fiorini example is just stupid.

No players have been priced 'as they please' this year. Fyfe and Beams maybe have, however, there is a rule in place for that (based on their history).

These prices are stupid..
Fiorini plays 2 games at an avg of 111.2 and is priced at 512k
Josh Thomas hasnt played in 2 years and is priced at 274k??
Yet J Pickett hasnt played in 2 years and is priced at 150k..

Fiorini (see above)
Josh Thomas got the 35% discount due to missing two years. He has played in the past so has an average to apply price to.
Pickett is at basement price because he hasn't played.

This is why fantasy sucks compared to sc
I like dt as its fantasy scoring with better pricing of players

It appears to me that AFL Fantasy are trying to push people into using more mid price players. With basement rookies at $150,000 and mid tier rookies at $200,000+, a guns and rookies option is getting more unrealistic unless you're fielding an almost 50-50 ratio.

The injured player discount is far less generous too, so using this as a tool is less helpful than say RDT and SC.

It appears to me that AFL Fantasy are trying to push people into using more mid price players. With basement rookies at $150,000 and mid tier rookies at $200,000+, a guns and rookies option is getting more unrealistic unless you're fielding an almost 50-50 ratio.

The injured player discount is far less generous too, so using this as a tool is less helpful than say RDT and SC.
its harder to field a competitive side towards the end of the season as you dont make as much money off your rookies.
I guess thats to make it so less teams are 99% the same.

its harder to field a competitive side towards the end of the season as you dont make as much money off your rookies.
I guess thats to make it so less teams are 99% the same.

I can see why there would be a concerted effort to try something different. I'd say only 20% of all players ever seriously get picked for Fantasy football. That's a huge hole of essentially redundant players in that void in the middle.

It would make for an intriguing game, if you had to pick a certain number of players from each of say 4 different price brackets to start the season. That would ensure variety in teams for sure.

AFL Fantasy Classic is a different beast. People need to remember that. 2 trades every week means for greater diversity in teams. This has been proven across the last three seasons when comparing leagues.

should have a smaller salary cap

a smaller salary cap would mean teams arent completed by the end of the season, then people wouldn't have to be picking so many guns

with limited trades its sub-optimal to pick mid pricers who might go up only $50k but will have to be traded in the future

that means 90% of your team is guns and rookies

should have a smaller salary cap

a smaller salary cap would mean teams arent completed by the end of the season, then people wouldn't have to be picking so many guns

with limited trades its sub-optimal to pick mid pricers who might go up only $50k but will have to be traded in the future

that means 90% of your team is guns and rookies
The only reason the salary cap went is up is due to the fact that the magic number absolutely sky-rocketed upwards this yr making players prices a lot more expensive. Our squads would lack real depth if it was only $10 mil salary cap and thus $11 mil was the only way to be fair .

Few interesting choices

O'meara $364k, if can get his hands dirty in Hawks midfield this year then that is under priced.
Carlisle $359k, decent choice for the backline, has a lot to prove this year.
Bennell $388k, has had a decent preseason for all accounts.
Sheed $361k, missed most of last year and is the future replacement to Priddis, with Mitchell in there, I can see him raking up some points.
Henney $442k, under valued I think. Will probably be 550k or so by end of the season.
Petrie $363k, box seat to be starting round 1 with WC. Could be a steal at that price.
Mccarthy $211k, essentially rookie priced. Worth the punt.
Ablett $611k, could be back to his best this year. Can see constant 100+

Last edited:
No players have been priced 'as they please' this year. Fyfe and Beams maybe have, however, there is a rule in place for that (based on their history).

That makes sense, will have to get creative with some picks :)

The player whose price absolutely bamboozles me is Marco Paperone. Averaged 51.2 over 4 games last year due to injuries, so should have an 18% discount on his 51.2 average, yet he's priced at 370k- an average of 61.5. That's practically an increase of 18% on his scores last year. Baffling. Was probably going to pick him, if he was over 100k cheaper like he should be.
Just about all the other prices I can understand.

The player whose price absolutely bamboozles me is Marco Paperone. Averaged 51.2 over 4 games last year due to injuries, so should have an 18% discount on his 51.2 average, yet he's priced at 370k- an average of 61.5. That's practically an increase of 18% on his scores last year. Baffling. Was probably going to pick him, if he was over 100k cheaper like he should be.
Just about all the other prices I can understand.

It's like they don't want any good value around this year in case everyone ends up with the same team again. I think they've gone a little TOO far, there's not much value to be found at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All prices are based on a formula. Info below. There was A LOT of feedback to keep pricing standard. Beams and Fyfe didn't get a discount for obvious reasons. Fiorini... well, he has a 24% discount. Just sucks he scored so much in his final game. If we made him cheaper, then his price would have a different formula applied - something that people didn't want.
  • $11,000,000 salary cap has been confirmed.
  • Players are priced based on their output last year. eg. 2016 average x magic number (approx 6036 for 2017).
  • Essendon players receive a discount of 10% on their 2015 average.
  • Players who missed a full season receive a discount of 30% on their 2015 average.
  • Players who have missed two or more seasons received a discount of 35% on their last available average.
  • Players playing less than 10 games receive a 3% discount on each game under 10. eg. Play 5 games in 2016, then they receive a 15% discount. This is applied to the higher of their season average from the last two years.
  • Dayne Beams and Nat Fyfe qualified for a discount due to minimal games played, but they have not received a discount.
Why not discount Fyfe and Beams? What gives them the right to pick and chose players prices. Should be a flat system with no changes. If a few players are auto-locks well... them's the breaks

It's like they don't want any good value around this year in case everyone ends up with the same team again. I think they've gone a little TOO far, there's not much value to be found at all.
Yeah there isn't many good mid pricers around (bar Heeney) and the rookies are more expensive than ever. Will have to scrounge for good value, cheaper picks.
I can see why they'd alter the pricing of Fyfe and Beams as they don't want everyone to have them, but it isn't like every man and his dog was going to own Paparone.

Current Squad. Not finalized.

DEF:
Johannisen $563K LOCK
Martin $453K (Not sold on Martin for this price. Will see what else is available.)
Mills $441K LOCK
Carlisle $359K 50/50
Weitering $347K LOCK
Mcgrath $250K LOCK

SUB: Rotham $178K, Morgan $150K

MID:
Rockliff $704K LOCK FOR CAPTAIN
Neal $671K LOCK
Ablett $611K LOCK
Cripps $601K 60/40
Gaff $564K 80/20
O'Meara $364K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)
Sheed $361K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)
Powel Pepper $216K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)

SUB: Freeman $150K, Barrett $150K

RUCK:
Gawn $642K LOCK
Roughead WB $411K 60/40

SUB: Eagles $150K, Darcy $176K

FWD:
Greene $560K LOCK
Heeney $442K LOCK
Petracca $409K LOCK
Moore $316K 50/50
Mccluggage $246K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)
Mccarthy $211K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)

SUB: Pickett $150K, Weldeman $150K

Current Squad. Not finalized.

DEF:
Johannisen $563K LOCK
Martin $453K (Not sold on Martin for this price. Will see what else is available.)
Mills $441K LOCK
Carlisle $359K 50/50
Weitering $347K LOCK
Mcgrath $250K LOCK

SUB: Rotham $178K, Morgan $150K

MID:
Rockliff $704K LOCK FOR CAPTAIN
Neal $671K LOCK
Ablett $611K LOCK
Cripps $601K 60/40
Gaff $564K 80/20
O'Meara $364K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)
Sheed $361K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)
Powel Pepper $216K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)

SUB: Freeman $150K, Barrett $150K

RUCK:
Gawn $642K LOCK
Roughead WB $411K 60/40

SUB: Eagles $150K, Darcy $176K

FWD:
Greene $560K LOCK
Heeney $442K LOCK
Petracca $409K LOCK
Moore $316K 50/50
Mccluggage $246K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)
Mccarthy $211K 50/50 (Depends how the preseason comp goes)

SUB: Pickett $150K, Weldeman $150K

Wouldnt lock ablett in yet,
Omeara wont play..
Better value around other than Weitering/Mills/Petracca

Wouldnt lock ablett in yet,
Omeara wont play..
Better value around other than Weitering/Mills/Petracca

Ablett has had a find pre season by all accounts. Omeara I have already replaced.
It doesn't get much better value than Mills, especially in defence. Petracca too. Will take his game to another level this year, and with Lewis running around next to him. For a forward line pick. Petracca is definitely a lock.

Ablett has had a find pre season by all accounts. Omeara I have already replaced.
It doesn't get much better value than Mills, especially in defence. Petracca too. Will take his game to another level this year, and with Lewis running around next to him. For a forward line pick. Petracca is definitely a lock.
Ablett still wearing the orange hat at training.. not sure he is a lock
You think or you are hoping mills and petracca are taking to another level?
If they don't avg over 100 they aren't keepers

Ablett still wearing the orange hat at training.. not sure he is a lock
You think or you are hoping mills and petracca are taking to another level?
If they don't avg over 100 they aren't keepers

In that case, I have cut Ablett. Mills and Petracca I have put aside just to see what team I could make without them. But may bring it back. Now the team stands like this:

DEF Doherty, Johannisen, Lloyd, Thurlow, Mcgrath, Berry (M Hibberd, Ryan)
MID Rockliff, Neale, Adams, Gaff, Heppell, Murphy, Power Pepper, Myers (Graham, Barrettt)
RUCK Martin, Giles
FWD Macrae, Stevens, Henney, Roughead, Mccluggage, Ainsworth (Pickett, Eddy)

49K left over.

my g&r team (other then say Murphy)

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-28_18-31-48.png
    upload_2017-1-28_18-31-48.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 8

I think they are generating the prices to make the 2 trades a week relevant. You can't really sit on players like you can in RDT/SuperCoach. Make rookies to cheap and pick the right guns, why do you need 2 trades per week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back