Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
South-East Melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nuggets, Giants, Arsenal
Last year the byes is where it really went pear-shaped, as I'm sure it did for some of you guys as well.
No planning left me in a massive pickle trying to get players in that are playing, forcing me to use more trades than I needed to ultimately leaving me trade-less in round 21 :cry:

This year the byes are as follows, with some players of note that will be missing. (Point out any I missed)

Round 13: Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda
Premos/Popular players out: Laird, Sloane, Jacobs, Docherty, Simpson, Cripps, Pendles, Hall, GAJ, Rance, Houli, Martin, Lids, Joey.

Round 14: Essendon, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney, West Coast, Western Bulldogs. (This round is Carnage!)
Out: ZMerret, Zaha, Gawn, Gray, Wines, Wingard, Hannerbery, Buddy, Parker, Priddis, NicNat, Yeo, Libba, Stringer, Dahl, Suckling!!!!

Round 15: Brisbane, Fremantle, GWS, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne
Out: Rich, Stef, Zorko, Fyfe, Barlow... Ward, Shiel, Shaw, Greene, Danger, Selwood, Bartel, Blicavs, Mitchell, Gibson, Goldy. Waite????? :p

Could probably cull out a few of the players but thought I'd mention a fair few. Looked at high ownership and obviously importance to each line not just the Mids.
Few Q's:
How will everyone go about upgrading this year?
Will you start to look at who you bring in in relation to when their bye is?
Is 1800 about where everyone should aim for as an average over the three weeks?
How many trades of the 9 is the max you would like to use over the period?

Last year the byes is where it really went pear-shaped, as I'm sure it did for some of you guys as well.
No planning left me in a massive pickle trying to get players in that are playing, forcing me to use more trades than I needed to ultimately leaving me trade-less in round 21 :cry:

This year the byes are as follows, with some players of note that will be missing. (Point out any I missed)

Round 13: Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda
Premos/Popular players out: Laird, Sloane, Jacobs, Docherty, Simpson, Cripps, Pendles, Hall, GAJ, Rance, Houli, Martin, Lids, Joey.

Round 14: Essendon, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney, West Coast, Western Bulldogs. (This round is Carnage!)
Out: ZMerret, Zaha, Gawn, Gray, Wines, Wingard, Hannerbery, Buddy, Parker, Priddis, NicNat, Yeo, Libba, Stringer, Dahl, Suckling!!!!

Round 15: Brisbane, Fremantle, GWS, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne
Out: Rich, Stef, Zorko, Fyfe, Barlow... Ward, Shiel, Shaw, Greene, Danger, Selwood, Bartel, Blicavs, Mitchell, Gibson, Goldy. Waite????? :p

Could probably cull out a few of the players but thought I'd mention a fair few. Looked at high ownership and obviously importance to each line not just the Mids.
Few Q's:
How will everyone go about upgrading this year?
Will you start to look at who you bring in in relation to when their bye is?
Is 1800 about where everyone should aim for as an average over the three weeks?
How many trades of the 9 is the max you would like to use over the period?
Everyone has different needs as every team us different.
I think the best bet is to have a good spread of premos playing each week during the byes.
1800 is good but 2000 including your captain score will see you climb the ladder in a mad rush..

It's a great time to trade in premos to ensure you have a solid starting 18. So 3 and up to 6 trades is acceptable IMO.

Do many people pick their team at the start of the year to cater to the bye rounds so you have an even spread of players playing over the 3 weeks?

Do many people pick their team at the start of the year to cater to the bye rounds so you have an even spread of players playing over the 3 weeks?
I certainly don't, it's pointless to pick players based off byes in the pre-season when so much changes from R1 to the first bye.

1400 will get you a win most bye rounds

A league win or a rankings win?

1400 won't get you a league win.

Byes are later in the year
Teams will have extra premos

Base score for the 3 weeks combined would need to be 5250 imo
If you're in the top echelon it'd need to be 5500 combined for the 3 weeks

I paid a lot of mind to the Byes last year. It lead to early decisions to bring in Pittard and Ziebell in particular as they had their Bye in the final week of the Bye. ...the move worked ok for the Byes. But worked terribly for the season. ...interestingly, they're both doing really well this season, pricks!

Attempting to get an "even" spread of players is not the right strategy. The right strategy is to have a low number of players missing in the first week, make 0 trades. Get a good score.

The second week, make 3 trades, ideally rookie upgrades, where you're trading in premium players who just sat out the first round of the Byes, and trading out rookie players who are missing this week and have little cash making ability remaining. In practical terms, we could have Adams, Dea, AM-T, BenKenn, Wagner and Byrne-Jones. If just 3 of them can maintain their scoring rates until that point, they could hot their spot in your team until then.

The third week is a rinse and repeat of the second, except, you've now got access to a larger range of premo players. Hopefully rookies like Ben Keays, McCarthy and Ruggles have got a number of games, but week 3 rookies are looking pretty sparse.

I'd like to pay less mind to the Byes this year, but, perhaps it makes sense to guide decisions such as, which two of Byrne-Jones, Byrne, Wagner and Ruggles to bring in.

The answer to that question is a crap shoot. But perhaps Ruggles should be the priority, followed by Byrne-Jones and Wagner due to the timing of the Byes.

I paid a lot of mind to the Byes last year. It lead to early decisions to bring in Pittard and Ziebell in particular as they had their Bye in the final week of the Bye. ...the move worked ok for the Byes. But worked terribly for the season. ...interestingly, they're both doing really well this season, pricks!

Attempting to get an "even" spread of players is not the right strategy. The right strategy is to have a low number of players missing in the first week, make 0 trades. Get a good score.

The second week, make 3 trades, ideally rookie upgrades, where you're trading in premium players who just sat out the first round of the Byes, and trading out rookie players who are missing this week and have little cash making ability remaining. In practical terms, we could have Adams, Dea, AM-T, BenKenn, Wagner and Byrne-Jones. If just 3 of them can maintain their scoring rates until that point, they could hot their spot in your team until then.

The third week is a rinse and repeat of the second, except, you've now got access to a larger range of premo players. Hopefully rookies like Ben Keays, McCarthy and Ruggles have got a number of games, but week 3 rookies are looking pretty sparse.

I'd like to pay less mind to the Byes this year, but, perhaps it makes sense to guide decisions such as, which two of Byrne-Jones, Byrne, Wagner and Ruggles to bring in.

The answer to that question is a crap shoot. But perhaps Ruggles should be the priority, followed by Byrne-Jones and Wagner due to the timing of the Byes.

Use the bye to set yourself up or ignore it

I've never had an issue with the byes, if anything I make up ground over the bye period.
Trade smartly in the lead up and during the byes, and you'll be fine.

Ill start looking at the byes after Rd 10 lol

Wish me luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll go with the stock standard reply you hear very often.
"Not looking that far ahead and we only take it one week at a time".
Haha well done cliché professional sportsperson!!!!
I've never had an issue with the byes, if anything I make up ground over the bye period.
Trade smartly in the lead up and during the byes, and you'll be fine.

Ill start looking at the byes after Rd 10 lol

Wish me luck
By trading smartly in the lead up do you mean when upgrading to premos consider players playing the first couple of weeks over the players who have the bye first?

Haha well done cliché professional sportsperson!!!!

By trading smartly in the lead up do you mean when upgrading to premos consider players playing the first couple of weeks over the players who have the bye first?
Yeah, something like that.
I usually ride the first bye, then I'll trade heavy for the 2nd and 3rd bye

1-2 correcting trades to prepare for Bye rounds.
6 trades in the final two weeks of the bye rounds
2-3 trades in the first week depending on projections/injuries.

My only tip is don't stuff up your team for the rest of the year just to fix it for one bye round.

It's hard to be strong across all 3 - especially as the availability of downgrade targets will probably not align perfectly with when they have their bye.

An example would be someone on the bubble the week before they have a bye.

Projections are heaps important - so important that I'd bring in a player who I know will miss within the next two weeks. Wut?

May need to balance the team a little better sideways trading (perhaps injuries happen etc) so in order to compensate one round we take from Peter to give to Paul.

I never pay any attention to the byes until a week or 2 before and that's just for rookie downgrades, as in if it were a 50/50 choice between 2 rookies, I'd bring in the one that will help give me 18 on the field over the bye period. As for upgrades, favourable bye rounds don't come into the equation, even if I cop a bye round with only 8/18 premo's playing.

Meh, just do 3 sideways trades before week 1, 2 & 3 of the bye's and ya done!
Then all there is to do is pack up and get ready for 2017

Meh, just do 3 sideways trades before week 1, 2 & 3 of the bye's and ya done!
Then all there is to do is pack up and get ready for 2017

It was the exact strategy used by the guy ranked #1 at the Byes last year.

Came out of the Byes 900 points in front of second from memory.

Fell hard not long after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back