Plateau

Remove this Banner Ad

Lakey91

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2008
Nowra, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey, sorry if this has been covered, but recently i have been experiencing a plateau in my running times.

It doesnt matter what distance, i seem to always been running at the same ratio of time:distance. Some days i push really hard and feel good on the 3.2km i run and still run 13:30 (about my plateau), while others i am tired and struggle and it is hot, and i struggle, yet still manage to run around the 13:30 mark! I have been experiencing times around the same level for all distances that i run (2km, 3.2km, 4km) for 2-4 weeks now, and cannot seem to improve.

Evidently, i have plateaued. But how do i break through this plateau?

Should i do some fartlek training, or mix it up a bit? Should i take a break? Or should i just doing what i am and wait for improvement to come (this is hard, as motivation is lost when you dont improve)?

I really want to break through so i can get to that next level. I feel fit and great, but times are rubbish really. I want to break through this plateau and hopefully get to around the 12min mark for my 3.2km come start of the season.

Thoughts? Advice?

Hey, sorry if this has been covered, but recently i have been experiencing a plateau in my running times.

It doesnt matter what distance, i seem to always been running at the same ratio of time:distance. Some days i push really hard and feel good on the 3.2km i run and still run 13:30 (about my plateau), while others i am tired and struggle and it is hot, and i struggle, yet still manage to run around the 13:30 mark! I have been experiencing times around the same level for all distances that i run (2km, 3.2km, 4km) for 2-4 weeks now, and cannot seem to improve.

Should i do some fartlek training, or mix it up a bit? Should i take a break? Or should i just doing what i am and wait for improvement to come (this is hard, as motivation is lost when you dont improve)?

I really want to break through so i can get to that next level. I feel fit and great, but times are rubbish really. I want to break through this plateau and hopefully get to around the 12min mark for my 3.2km come start of the season.

Thoughts? Advice?

Try doing Five 800m runs for a few weeks, then try 1500m.

Thoughts? Advice?

You need to add one longer run a week to get the kms into the legs. It doesn't have to be a fast run and be careful not to add to many kms too soon. I would start with say a 6km run and try and build it gradually.

The suggestion of doing some 400/800m sprints (and by sprint - not 100m pace) is also a good one. They also add some much needed variety to the training which helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back