Platini arrested over Qatar 2022!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not surprising, favourable gas contracts were exchanged between Qatar and France on the basis of Platini supporting the Qatar bid. PSG will be undoubtedly involved. Some will say the Qataris are just putting their own money into football but it goes much further than that. They want and have gotten political influence in France.

As a French citizen I hope their corruption is booted from the country for good and their tainted money should not be welcome in football.

Last edited:

Just goes to show how much influence oil money can have on not only football but politics.

England the only real option to play 2022 at short notice. Can't be USA with them hosting in 2026 and Australia can't get stadiums ready in time. Hopefully it happens but I wouldn't be holding one's breath over it - Qatar 2022 is going ahead no matter how corrupt / fraudulent it is.

The choice to give Qatar the World Cup had corruption involved in it? Shocked to be sitting here.
This was going to be very close to my post.

FIFA must think the rest of the world is incredibly stupid, or they just didn't care and were dodgy anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An English World Cup would be fantastic, timezone aside.
The atmosphere and crowds would be amazing. Definitely one to try and go to as well as a tourist. Can't see as many internationals travelling to Qatar as they would flock to the UK.

I'd be happy for it more on the view that it's a disgrace if this corrupt Qatar bid/appointment still stands.

Qatar 2022 is going to be held in Nov/Dec 2022 due to weather conditions in summer. Moving it to England avoids that bollocks, gonna be a huge pain in the arse rearranging football seasons either side of Qatar 2022. For the reason that Qatar is unable to host in 45-50 degree heat (despite their bid claiming air conditioned stadiums and airconditioned fan zones) was reason enough to strip them of the competition.

It’s long overdue, but it’s a bit of a myth that a World Cup in England would be fantastic. Most of the stadiums for the last major tournament held here - Euro 96 were only ever half full. St James’ Park, home of those football fanatical Geordies, was only getting 20k gates when it held 38k at the time. Same at Sheffield, Liverpool and Birmingham. I wonder if that indifference would be seen at a World Cup here..

If the World Cup is taken away from Qatar, the draw should be between the original bidding countries for 2022. Australia, Japan and South Korea. United States were part of 2022 but they’re hosting 2026 with Canada.

But I can see that being a long shot anyway (as well as removing the WC from Qatar to begin with).

Just goes to show how much influence oil money can have on not only football but politics.

Money has always had a huge influence on sports and politics.

Doesn't matter whether it's oil money or banking/investment money or retail money or drug money.

It's all just money, no matter how many times some are used as a perjorarive.

It’s long overdue, but it’s a bit of a myth that a World Cup in England would be fantastic. Most of the stadiums for the last major tournament held here - Euro 96 were only ever half full. St James’ Park, home of those football fanatical Geordies, was only getting 20k gates when it held 38k at the time. Same at Sheffield, Liverpool and Birmingham. I wonder if that indifference would be seen at a World Cup here..
Why do you think that was the case?

Why do you think that was the case?
No idea really. I just remember thinking these were pretty poor crowds for such a big tournament. I actually think a World Cup would be better attended though, for one England is far more multi-cultural than it was in 1996 so you would get many communities attending matches when their home country is playing and secondly people around the world tend to travel to overseas tournaments in greater numbers than they did 20 odd years ago. England itself is probably more in love with football now with quite considerably higher attendances than there were at that time.

No idea really. I just remember thinking these were pretty poor crowds for such a big tournament. I actually think a World Cup would be better attended though, for one England is far more multi-cultural than it was in 1996 so you would get many communities attending matches when their home country is playing and secondly people around the world tend to travel to overseas tournaments in greater numbers than they did 20 odd years ago. England itself is probably more in love with football now with quite considerably higher attendances than there were at that time.

Yeah I remember as it was the first Euro tournament I ever watched. Plenty of empty seats for all but the big games.

I dont think that would be the case if England took on 2022. Far more ways for fans to buy tickets with online / social media and far cheaper to travel there these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back