Play a Showdown in Melbourne says Damien Barrett

halalsnackpack

All Australian
Apr 11, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
This an all-time derp comment - ONE person has suggested this and it's been almost universally panned as dopey.

Well done.
Not saying that all Vics think this is a good idea, but clearly a majority of them think the world revolves around them. The AFL and C7 obviously agree as they prefer to broadcast games featuring one or between two crap Vic sides instead of games like the showdown, derby and other interstate clashes into Melbourne.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not saying that all Vics think this is a good idea, but clearly a majority of them think the world revolves around them. The AFL and C7 obviously agree as they prefer to broadcast games featuring one or between two crap Vic sides instead of games like the showdown, derby and other interstate clashes into Melbourne.

FTA are looking at the ratings, decisions made for individual tV markets, how 'bout that !!

LightTower4

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2004
No Fixed Address
AFL Club
Melbourne

I would always watch a showdown or derby over 2 Vic clubs, unless it was my team playing.
And I never watch it on FTA.
Keep the shoulder chips out of the discussion.

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why "clearly"?

The majority of Vics think Damo's call is dumbass and stupid. Self included.

youbeautfyfe

Senior List
Sep 25, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
There are very few situations where I would defend Damien Barrett but when he is saying 'play it in Melbourne' he means televise it on TV to Melbourne. The Showdown is with Foxtel, so Melbourne will get whatever game is on free to air that night.

Classic that everyone takes one quote out of what he actually meant and runs with it. Although he has made a living doing that, so play on....

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There are very few situations where I would defend Damien Barrett but when he is saying 'play it in Melbourne' he means televise it on TV to Melbourne. The Showdown is with Foxtel, so Melbourne will get whatever game is on free to air that night.

Classic that everyone takes one quote out of what he actually meant and runs with it. Although he has made a living doing that, so play on....
He goes on to say

“You know what they should do, and there’d be issues with Adelaide Oval, there’d be issues with the two clubs obviously, but play it in Melbourne.".

Totally agree with a prime time showdown but the mcg bit is bat s**t crazy.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Both SA clubs want more games on the MCG, so there's a plus there. That should be fixed by every club gets at least 3 MCG games a year though.
Putting aside the SMA (SANFL) are greedy pigs who wouldn't give up a game at AO, the only way it would work is it'd have to be done at least 2 years, with each club the 'home' side for the MCG game one year, so they get a home AO Showdown the other year.

I wouldn't accept this before MCG tenants stopped selling their home games vs us.

Adelaide get 1 game on the MCG and its essentially a training session. Its a joke.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
The showdown is widely considered to be one of the best, if not the best derby in the league and Barrett's idea is to move the game to Melbourne? What a ******* moron.
laughter.gif

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

What?

“You know what they should do, and there’d be issues with Adelaide Oval, there’d be issues with the two clubs obviously, but play it in Melbourne.

“Just try something different. Play it in Melbourne, build it up.

“Is it that silly? I reckon they’d get 65,000 to 75,000.

“I’m not saying do it next year, but work towards it. I think there’d be major interest in it.”

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Hoo boy Barrett, you've really outdone yourself on the whacko meter this time.

Back