Game Day Play Misty For Me - Adelaide v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking tonight's team could possibly be the worst team we've fielded since Sando era? I have no confidence in CEY, Hampton, Mackay, Jenkins, Gibson or Harto (he can earn it back easier than the others), and I honestly have no idea what to expect from Fog, Doedee or Murphy.

On the other hand, I am excited to see our new players, and I'm holding a lot of hope for the Fog. Finally we get to see Gibbs don the tri-colours.

I'm thinking it'll be Essendon by 12

Go you Crows :adelaide:

I'm thinking tonight's team could possibly be the worst team we've fielded since Sando era? I have no confidence in CEY, Hampton, Mackay, Jenkins, Gibson or Harto (he can earn it back easier than the others), and I honestly have no idea what to expect from Fog, Doedee or Murphy.

On the other hand, I am excited to see our new players, and I'm holding a lot of hope for the Fog. Finally we get to see Gibbs don the tri-colours.

I'm thinking it'll be Essendon by 12

Go you Crows :adelaide:
I hope you're right but I have the opposing sense of pessimism from our end - we always seem to get towelled up by you lot.

Good luck tonight Vools, all the best mate :thumbsu:

Amidst all the doom and gloom, here's a nice little stat. The last time we had three players debut in the same game was Round 1 2009, against Collingwood at the MCG. And we won by four points. Without cheating, can anyone list the three players who debuted together?

Walker, Petrenko and Cook

(It was in another thread)

Interested to see the way we function with such a different looking forward line. We lose Tex and Lynch who are so good at getting up and back at linking and setting up but become IMO much better in the air with Gov and Fog there to crash packs. We lose Cameron's speed, tacking and occasional freakish grab or goal and gain Murphy's genuine football smarts and skill.

Not to expect too much of the kid but I can't help but feel Eddie will enjoy having an extra aerial presence in the forward line.

In JLT we never really rolled out our A team or A game. We never belted anyone like we did in the prev couple of preseasons. The crows obviously believe that they can roll this out from the get go in the real stuff. IMO any doubts we have should mostly be around this. The last game of last year is irrelevant, injuries are largely irrelevant, playing the Bombers last time is irrelevant, our record against them and at the ground is irrelevant.

I hope we can roll it out from the get go. It also creates some intrigue in that we may have been "hiding" some really good capability and form from the opposition, I hope so. I will be watching with more interest than usual for this very reason. If we go poorly in intensity, I will be very cross.

CEY, Hampton, Mackay, Murphy, Fogarty, Doedee, Gibson..

Our top end talent is going to have to play well. Sloane, Gibbs, M.Crouch, Jacobs, Laird, Talia, Betts, McGovern along with our mid tier of Atkins, Brown, Douglas, Seedsman and Hartigan need to not be below their best or it’s going to be tough.

Jenkins needs to pull his finger out tonight, with Lynch and Walker out he now becomes our main target with Mcgovern. They both have been quiet on the JLT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger game this, I'll just be happy if we get a win against a clearly emerging Bombers team on their deck. Game could go either way.
Tis more than a danger game. The majority of footy tipsters and punters are well onto Essendon. This is a game where we are underdogs for the first time in a long while. Also have to factor in hometown noise and the usual Vic umpiring. This will be a significant win if we manage to pull it off.

Edit: At least we won't have to contend with a serial high-to-the-neck-or-throat don't argue fend off merchant.:)

Last edited:
Fully expecting to lose tonight.
I expect us to get jumped early, fight back a bit and then get run over. Just don't think we have the talent on the park. There are a lot of rookies in that team and lot of B graders as well.
Once again, we aren't playing a star studded lineup. The way I look at it.

Walker - Hard to expect Fog to do what Tex does however he will compete better on the ground.

Lynch - Big loss, but it's allowed us to add speed and defensive pressure. Murphy won't do what Chief does though.

Greenwood - CEY and Hampton will do the same job, given Hughs lack of a fitness base and poor end to last season.

Crouch - That Gibbs fellow is a handy player.

Smith - The Big one. Douglas and Gibson provide different options but neither as as good.

So in reality we are down 3 players as IMO the replacements for 2 are better than the incumbents.

Why no love for Murphy.
Everyone saying two debutants. Fog and Dude but what about the rookie?

Have bet on the Bombers so there’ll be a nice consolation prize if we pull this off. Neither team really inspiring confidence at the moment. Playing away with several newbies while we’re showing signs of fade outs or not quite being ready for the season is a worry for mine. But, I do tend to underestimate our guys. Just think that the loss of Smith, Lever and Cameron won’t be fixed overnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back