News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a great little interview. 3 years at the club, a knee reco means he effectively missed a season, then covid means he has missed playing competitive footy for another season, is 3rd in line in the ruck duties, in demand by other clubs, no guarantee he gets an AFL game this year, yet has no hesitation to re-sign for another 2 years because he loves the club.

Says a lot about his character and our club.

I was bloody happy that the Richmond one ruck strategy meant a lot of clubs ignored rucks in the 2017 draft and we got him at 47. I put his Inside Football draft profile on the first page of this thread, and have regularly recalled it, where his coach at Eastern Rangers former bomber champ Darren Bewick said - "Sam is interesting because in five years time he could be the best ruckmen ever or some people think he might be on the scrapheap by then. His stats are extraordinary and he's got that much upside its not funny...."

He isn't going to end up on the scrap head but things like an ACL and a Covid suspended year don't help him get to that best ruckman ever status.

This is a great little interview. 3 years at the club, a knee reco means he effectively missed a season, then covid means he has missed playing competitive footy for another season, is 3rd in line in the ruck duties, in demand by other clubs, no guarantee he gets an AFL game this year, yet has no hesitation to re-sign for another 2 years because he loves the club.

Says a lot about his character and our club.

I was bloody happy that the Richmond one ruck strategy meant a lot of clubs ignored rucks in the 2017 draft and we got him at 47. I put his Inside Football draft profile on the first page of this thread, and have regularly recalled it, where his coach at Eastern Rangers former bomber champ Darren Bewick said - "Sam is interesting because in five years time he could be the best ruckmen ever or some people think he might be on the scrapheap by then. His stats are extraordinary and he's got that much upside its not funny...."

He isn't going to end up on the scrap head but things like an ACL and a Covid suspended year don't help him get to that best ruckman ever status.

Let's hope that this kind of love for the club is shared by everyone on the team because they need to understand how this club is unlike any other. When you hear someone like Scott Cummings speak about the club's culture and the player accountability the members expect (and he only spent two seasons with us) you can tell by the way he talks that John and the club really had the players invested from the very start; but there's been times in the past decade where it feels like the playing group hasn't been instilled with the belief and drive that makes Port exist to win premierships.

Last edited:
41 hit outs
12 kicks.
7 marks.
2 handballs.

He's been good in all 3 sanfl hit outs.
Think he's done enough to have Ladhams on notice this week. Don’t think more time than he needs in the sanfl is good for him.
Agree. What we don’t know is how his forward formline would be, as he doesn’t get the opportunity to rest forward for the Magpies. Still, he looked strong yesterday especially after QT. His marking in defence was a highlight.

You never wish an injury on your own players. Buuuut if Ladhams or Lycett had to sit out for a couple of weeks, wouldn't be the worst thing. Hayes looks like he is ready to step up and play well.

But Lycett and Ladhams don't deserve to be dropped right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think having the number 1 ruck duties to himself is great for Hayes development. I’m not in a huge rush to play him in the afl where he may only get limited time in the ruck. Ideally would love him to get a taste towards the back end of the season. Rest lycett and get hayes a game and let him and ladhams have at it.

Really pleased with his development. Certainly agree that extended ruck time in the sanfl against older experienced rucks is best for continuing that development.

Great to see though that he could step up if needed.

BOG last night for the 2s

Like to see him get a couple of games in the A side. The club rate him and Ladhams isn’t doing a lot. Lycett is playing like he knows Hayes is going to force one of him or Ladhams out and he's making sure it's not him. Hayes was close to getting a run before he did his knee and that's 2 years ago now. I'm in favour of giving him a couple now make Ladhams force his way back and then let them fight it out.

41 hit outs
12 kicks.
7 marks.
2 handballs.

He's been good in all 3 sanfl hit outs.
Think he's done enough to have Ladhams on notice this week. Don’t think more time than he needs in the sanfl is good for him.
Great game, but he will never replace Ladhams if Lycett is in the team still. He is a #1 Ruck, not a Forward/2nd Ruck.
I can guarantee you we will never run with Hayes and Lycett. He’s only chance of a game this year is if Lycett goes down injured or gets rested.
I am more than happy for him to spend a year in the SANFL working on his craft. He’s still so young.

Like to see him get a couple of games in the A side. The club rate him and Ladhams isn’t doing a lot. Lycett is playing like he knows Hayes is going to force one of him or Ladhams out and he's making sure it's not him. Hayes was close to getting a run before he did his knee and that's 2 years ago now. I'm in favour of giving him a couple now make Ladhams force his way back and then let them fight it out.

Does he have the forward line craft that Ladhams has though? Ladhams hasn't been amazing but he always seems to find a way to bob up for a goal or two and is dangerous at ground level and from the set shot. If Hayes wants to force him out and become the second ruck, he needs to have that forward craft.

Does he have the forward line craft that Ladhams has though? Ladhams hasn't been amazing but he always seems to find a way to bob up for a goal or two and is dangerous at ground level and from the set shot. If Hayes wants to force him out and become the second ruck, he needs to have that forward craft.
No.

Lycett won't see the year out with coping an injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back