Autopsy Play the kids they said, it will be good they said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. My point was more in response to this narrative that we are "playing too many kids". They are not the problem & this belief that we'd be better off if we didn't cull 12 players last year is just wrong IMO.

Our 22 will become more balanced when/if our injury list sorts itself out & we are able to put better senior players around the kids (Corr, Tarrant, Anderson etc.).

Absolutely. We all have our own views on which of the culled we would have liked retained, but at this point in time, none of them makes us better long term. For example, the sugar rush of Pittard and Daw playing these games would have resulted in slightly lower losing margins and not much else.

Correct. My point was more in response to this narrative that we are "playing too many kids". They are not the problem & this belief that we'd be better off if we didn't cull 12 players last year is just wrong IMO.

Our 22 will become more balanced when/if our injury list sorts itself out & we are able to put better senior players around the kids (Corr, Tarrant, Anderson etc.).
Agreed. While I can see that it may not be ideal for some kids to be developing in the AFL rather than VFL, especially when you cop a 20 goal flogging, what choice do we have? If we had kept McMillan, Pittard and Daw (just for example) and we staunch the bleeding on Friday, which three don't you draft or trade in?
We do need to seriously fix our injury woes, it's too long and consistent just to put down to bad luck, but the list we had was not sustainable.

Oh pup, you don't have to look far. Don Pyke was shown the door at Adelaide soon after Scott left us. He waived his right to be paid for the next year. Tom Boyd left the Dogs mid-contract and cut any conversation on it short by saying he was not willing to take another cent from them after he left, even though there would have been a legal settlement under his contract.

Out of 3 people saying they will do the right thing by their club, these two walked the talk. The other guy didn't.

Not coaches but Colbert and McKernan both tried to return funds to the club when they felt they underperformed.

Sydney played a younger 22 then us on the weekend.

No one is suggesting we go the Carlton/Melbourne route. I personally don't think we have.

Sydney, Adelaide and Hawthorn have similar aged teams but are very competitive. Our problem runs deeper than just number of kids playing. Our list is very poorly balanced, no cover for injuries at all in certain positions and a new coaching panel still finding their feet.

But alarmingly we are completely stopping after half way through second quarter. We need to find some quick fixes before we embarrass the jumper any further and lose the respect this club prides itself on

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whats he doing these days? Pilot?

Have seen that, he flew a few north people around in the last few years I think?

He went through a stint of MC'ing north events too.

Poor bloke, tall, talented, smart and good-looking. Life must be a real struggle for him.

Sydney, Adelaide and Hawthorn have similar aged teams but are very competitive. Our problem runs deeper than just number of kids playing. Our list is very poorly balanced, no cover for injuries at all in certain positions and a new coaching panel still finding their feet.

But alarmingly we are completely stopping after half way through second quarter. We need to find some quick fixes before we embarrass the jumper any further and lose the respect this club prides itself of

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking at the 22 Adelaide put out against Gold Coast is very interesting. A midfield of O'Brien 25, Laird 27, Sloane 31, Keays 24 - doesn't exactly scream a side that is "rebuilding".

Compare this with our starting midfield of Goldstein 32, Cunnington 29, Simpkin 22, Davies-Uniacke 21.

we are 3 games in. New Coach, new game plan ,and lots of injuries, which, with a big list cull has meant we have limited cover

its far far too early for the 2 year old tantrum in the supermarket crap

no point sooking at previous drafting over the last while or so, thats been done in an era when GWS and Gold coast got all the talent. That's finished now. We can rebuild quickly

have a bit of faith.. when you get to my age you get to see a lot of the swings and roundabouts of sport. Hell Richmond even came good, though it took a decade or 3 :cool:

we'll be ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. I was against trading for him and his North career was underwhelming (but predictable) imo - but he was a great guy to the fans and had a lot going for him.
Agreed. I seriously think that the filthy response from pathetic cat fans shook him up a bit more than he thought possible as well. I have never seen hatred expressed in more vile and direct terms than at north vs pussycat games during the Colby era (except for a few late night trips on the Frankston line).

Sydney played a younger 22 then us on the weekend.

No one is suggesting we go the Carlton/Melbourne route. I personally don't think we have.

did they really though? last time i checked we had a younger team than them... and age isn't as relevant as games experience and Sydney have been rebuilding for 2 years longer and thus exposed their youth, they could well be younger but have more experience.

it seems like north are taking the carlton/melbourne route to me....

did they really though? last time i checked we had a younger team than them... and age isn't as relevant as games experience and Sydney have been rebuilding for 2 years longer and thus exposed their youth, they could well be younger but have more experience.

it seems like north are taking the carlton/melbourne route to me....

I’ll repeat myself. Carlton won 5 spoons between 2002 and 2018.

How on earth is our route (3 games in) similar to that?

Carlton have been a 20 year horror show.

Absolutely. We all have our own views on which of the culled we would have liked retained, but at this point in time, none of them makes us better long term. For example, the sugar rush of Pittard and Daw playing these games would have resulted in slightly lower losing margins and not much else.

this is a cop out argument imho.

if you honestly think that then why play cunners, zeibs, goldy etc.? they won't be around for our next flag so may as well get some currency for them while they have a bit.

the argument for playing more senior players is so the youth don't get demoralised like melbourne and carlton were and forever have the yips in closing out must win games and making finals AND then performing in finals. Top end draft picks might be able to handle AFL level footy week in week out but the lower end players can't just come in be secured a spot in the team each week just because they're young, they have to be slowly exposed and over time gradually get better and consistently make the team.

Well it isn't.

Yet.

But we better pick the right players and develop appropriately or that could easily happen.

this is a cop out argument imho.

if you honestly think that then why play cunners, zeibs, goldy etc.? they won't be around for our next flag so may as well get some currency for them while they have a bit.

the argument for playing more senior players is so the youth don't get demoralised like melbourne and carlton were and forever have the yips in closing out must win games and making finals AND then performing in finals. Top end draft picks might be able to handle AFL level footy week in week out but the lower end players can't just come in be secured a spot in the team each week just because they're young, they have to be slowly exposed and over time gradually get better and consistently make the team.

The difference being that Cunners, Ziebell, Goldy, Tarrant are good players.

Unless a Genie grants a wish for our list to become Elite overnight, rebuilding seems like the only tangible strategy. We tried finishing mid table and topping up with recruits for 20 years, and it hasn't gotten us much. I just hope and pray that the club has the right people in charge to pull this off.

Carlton made finals in between those years too - it's not like their losing culture from 2002 affected them in 2013, really they began their current rebuild in 2014.

The Brendan Bolton years showed that having low expectations on the scoreboard made their most talented players complacent and as a team they couldn't get results. individually young players were winning rising stars every week, glimpses were shown of what their team could do but it accounts for nothing without performing at least semi consistently. They may well make finals this year, but like melbourne before them, making finals has been so long coming once they get there they'll feel a bit of pressure off them and go back into a hole of never winning consistently.

Feel free to quote me in 16 years time Chop. 1 draft in and I’m pretty confident that it’s not going to happen though.

You know full well I'm on board with what we are doing like you are.

However I personally believe it could end up a disaster as well if we do in fact get it wrong.

You are more confident than me as you rate our older players higher. Again, I'm fully supportive of what we are trying to do at least.

So the four footballers picked up either by trade or as DFA's

Wood - played one game and did what Wood does.
Higgins- done a hammy
Brown - yet to play
Daw- yet to play

Not sure the scoreboard would look much better for us currently. But we could look forward to a 33 yr old, a 30 yr old, a shitmen and a full forward who turns 30 next year. Yes after the season finishes admittedly.

Still think we made the correct calls regardless of the results. The rest of them were football junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back