Play the showdown at the MCG - Barrett

So are we going to have Essendon vs Collingwood at Adelaide Oval on Anzac Day? Thought not.
first thing I thought too

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
In fairness, he also states that the showdown should have been a Friday night match this season. I actually don't mind the idea and would test the view Victoria is the sporting capital of the world plus an extra game at the MCG wouldn't do any harm.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
No way are you getting 70k to the game which is H&A.
It would probably depend on the time slot. Interesting how many Victorians will go to multiple games over a weekend, particularly those with a MCG membership. As a novelty I could see it working.

There was massive positive feedback from neutral supporters over the 2 games last year, with many stating the game should be played in a prime time slot

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Well they were great games last season.

Makes sense a Vic media personality would be annoyed about some good games happening outside Vic - and want them brought to ye olde home of football.

But with Wingard and Polec gone, Gray, Westhoff and Ryder being another year older - the games might not be so close this year...

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
WTF is this about?

wut?
s-l300.jpg

May 25, 2009
Back in S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It feels a little insulting to me. The Adelaide v Port Adelaide rivalries is one of the best in the AFL, and our reward for putting on a great show is to have it shipped over to Melbourne so they can enjoy it? The suggestion could only be made worse if he'd called it a "privilege".

I doubt if he'd suggested Collingwood and Richmond play a game at Adelaide Oval the reaction would be positive in their home state.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No way are you getting 70k to the game which is H&A.
Stick it in a bye week end that has only 1 or 2 other games with Melb teams. Vics would go - we would travel.

If people can't see the value in playing a big game at G in front of a big crowd - then don't complain about the fixture.

Playing in an echoing concrete jungle against Carlton ain't quite the same as playing before a roaring crowd against Richmond on GF day.

Linekers Ears

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great idea. This would be a one off opportunity to get a big game at the G. Would easily get 60-70,000.

Get it done !

Don't agree Pete. Adelaide on it's own struggles to pull 40k at the Gee when we play locals outside of the finals.

THere are a substantial number of people who go to games as neutrals but doubt we'd get 45,000 of them to top up the 20k Crows supporters and the three men and a dog from the Port.

Back