Play to our strengths

Remove this Banner Ad

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A lot of talk about the deficiencies in our side and how we can possibly fix them for a shot at another flag. The sad truth is that we don't have a good ruckman waiting in the wings. We don't have a contested marking forward we can slot into the side to dominate finals and we don't have a contested ball winning bull (or three) at Box Hill who will improve our work around the stoppages. These are our weaknesses and while we must look to address them in the off season, there is no quick fix waiting at Box Hill for the remainder of this season. These are strengths of other sides but they are not strengths of ours.

I don't think we have the best side in the comp this year and we definitely have weaknesses that can be exploited but so does but every other side in this years' finals.

Our strengths are:
- Experience and composure under finals pressure
- Decision making and foot skills
- Pressure and forcing turnovers.
- Brilliant small forwards.
- Fast ball carriers in Smith, Hill and Hartung (if the latter two can produce good form)
- Clarkson

We need to play to those strengths. We should only play one ruckman and play an extra midfielder/runner. Set up to lose the ruck and set up defensively at stoppages - with Langford and Shiels in particular assigned to stopping opposition from getting clean breakaway clearances.

Defensive pressure is our biggest weapon. We score mostly from turnovers - partly because we struggle at clearances and partly because with a fast small forward line we rely on quick ball movement to score. Our defensive pressure has to be immense or we are no chance. Those who can't defend should not play (the only exceptions are Hill and Hartung who are important for other reasons).

We need to use our foot skills to spread the opposition and exhaust them. The rope-a-dope gameplan this year is no coincidence. It is exhausting to play against us when we get our possession game up and running. In fourth quarters our running trio of Smith, Hill and Hartung will be important. Whitecross and Shiels are very good runners too. I don't think Sydney, Geelong and Adelaide have the same elite runners. GWS does (they have elite everything, but they lack finals experience and will probably need to win twice interstate).

We must not bomb the ball forward. That's the number one thing that will cost us. Whether we just play a short forward line or throw one of Schoenmakers, Spangher or TOB forward to compete, this is going to be a weakness. We are not going to start clunking contested marks.

Ultimately I think we have done very well to be where we are with the list we have this year. I won't write off a side coached by Clarkson but there is no point looking for answers that aren't there. If we are to pull one out of the hat this year it won't be on the back of a rookie or journeyman forward/ruckman from Box Hill. It will be on the back of the strengths that have actually won us 16 games this year.

That's true, but Ceglar is injured. Someone must come in as a replacement. Probably at least one more change. Its not look for a 'saviour' from box hill, its the selection of the best possible replacement, given that Cegs/BB combo was forward/ruck (and were a key to success so far this year).

Shoe more than repayed the faith late last year. question is how is his fitness now compared to then?

I think we play only one of Schoenmakers, Spangher or Brand (in that order of preference depending on fitness) to pinch hit as relief ruckman and effectively only aim to bring the ball to ground up forward and to keep the likes of Taylor accountable. Otherwise load up on mobile players and play to our strengths and go with a small forward line.

I don't think any of Pittonet, Fitzpatrick, Burton or O'Brian are ready for finals and I think they will be liabilities if picked. They aren't going to take marks, they won't defend enough and good defenders will just zone off them to cause havoc. Sicily's lack of defensive effort is a real concern but he can at least get dangerous and kick goals.

I think we play only one of Schoenmakers, Spangher or Brand (in that order of preference depending on fitness) to pinch hit as relief ruckman and effectively only aim to bring the ball to ground up forward and to keep the likes of Taylor accountable. Otherwise load up on mobile players and play to our strengths and go with a small forward line.

I don't think any of Pittonet, Fitzpatrick, Burton or O'Brian are ready for finals and I think they will be liabilities if picked. They aren't going to take marks, they won't defend enough and good defenders will just zone off them to cause havoc. Sicily's lack of defensive effort is a real concern but he can at least get dangerous and kick goals.

I think Schoey definitely comes in this week to show where he is at. Ideally he can step it up and take Burton's spot, which will allow us to play McEvoy more as a 'pure' ruckman who drops back into defence. He definitely has the fitness to ruck a whole game himself (a la Goldstein) with Brand/Schoey giving the occasional chop out back/forward respectively. I think Pittonet is too raw right now, though i do have high hopes for him. Fitzy only gets a game if McEvoy goes down.

Spangher is a liability, and only comes into the team if both Schoey and Brand (or one of those two plus Gunston) are injured. If anything i would prefer TOB to come in before the Spang, though i do love Spangher's intensity.

Sicily stays for me. I think the almost-omission will be the kick up the ass he needs.

A lot of talk about the deficiencies in our side and how we can possibly fix them for a shot at another flag. The sad truth is that we don't have a good ruckman waiting in the wings. We don't have a contested marking forward we can slot into the side to dominate finals and we don't have a contested ball winning bull (or three) at Box Hill who will improve our work around the stoppages. These are our weaknesses and while we must look to address them in the off season, there is no quick fix waiting at Box Hill for the remainder of this season. These are strengths of other sides but they are not strengths of ours.

I don't think we have the best side in the comp this year and we definitely have weaknesses that can be exploited but so does but every other side in this years' finals.

Our strengths are:
- Fast ball carriers in Smith, Hill and Hartung (if the latter two can produce good form)
- Clarkson

We need to play to those strengths. We should only play one ruckman and play an extra midfielder/runner. Set up to lose the ruck and set up defensively at stoppages - with Langford and Shiels in particular assigned to stopping opposition from getting clean breakaway clearances.

Defensive pressure is our biggest weapon. We score mostly from turnovers - partly because we struggle at clearances and partly because with a fast small forward line we rely on quick ball movement to score. Our defensive pressure has to be immense or we are no chance. Those who can't defend should not play (the only exceptions are Hill and Hartung who are important for other reasons).

We need to use our foot skills to spread the opposition and exhaust them. The rope-a-dope gameplan this year is no coincidence. It is exhausting to play against us when we get our possession game up and running. In fourth quarters our running trio of Smith, Hill and Hartung will be important. Whitecross and Shiels are very good runners too. I don't think Sydney, Geelong and Adelaide have the same elite runners. GWS does (they have elite everything, but they lack finals experience and will probably need to win twice interstate).

We must not bomb the ball forward. That's the number one thing that will cost us. Whether we just play a short forward line or throw one of Schoenmakers, Spangher or TOB forward to compete, this is going to be a weakness. We are not going to start clunking contested marks.

Ultimately I think we have done very well to be where we are with the list we have this year. I won't write off a side coached by Clarkson but there is no point looking for answers that aren't there. If we are to pull one out of the hat this year it won't be on the back of a rookie or journeyman forward/ruckman from Box Hill. It will be on the back of the strengths that have actually won us 16 games this year.

Superb analysis. However one thing I noticed specially with some of the last few games when we have the possession of the ball we don't seem to have runners free and available for the short to medium kick and hence bomb the ball. Most times other guys mark and a fast break results in an opposition goal. On the other hand when they get the ball they have plenty of guys free and running. I clearly saw this with Port/Eagles and even North game.

Probably BB, Shoe and Maybe Fitz to 2/3 of the game each. Others pick up the slack and take a weeks rest after.

Trial some things, but ease them in slowly

So what would happen if we make just the one change - Ceglar -> Shoe/TOB and McEvoy gets injured in the first half
We will probably lose. Same as if one of Mitchell, Rioli, Gunston or Frawey get injured early in a big final. We just don't have the depth. To be honest if Mitchell or Rioli play quiet games we will probably lose.

But I don't think our chances of winning would be enhanced much (if at all) by having Pittonet or Fitzpatrick rucking solo if McEvoy went down. They barely hold their own at Box Hill and have never made a meaningful contribution to an AFL game, let alone a final.

I don't think we can enter a final with a player that is almost certain to offer nothing just on the basis that McEvoy might get injured. We would be effectively going in with 21. Id prefer to concede the ruck, set up defensively and stoppages and look for an advantage elsewhere.

Our strengths are:
- Clarkson

Great post!

I don't see Sicily or TOB having the hunger required for finals. Shoe and Spang must be in contention. Spang isn't as gifted but he never leaves anything out there, the young guys could learn a lot if they're dropped in a final for a hairy journeyman on his last legs, but goes with 100% intensity.

Great post!

I don't see Sicily or TOB having the hunger required for finals. Shoe and Spang must be in contention. Spang isn't as gifted but he never leaves anything out there, the young guys could learn a lot if they're dropped in a final for a hairy journeyman on his last legs, but goes with 100% intensity.

I thought this too. I would rather an experienced Spangher and Shoey over young kids in a final. The composure and intensity they bring should at least matches it with the other teams. Spangher at his kamikaze best is an inspiring sight!

Great post!

Geez I can criticize a few things about Sicily but his hunger isn't one of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spang in would be helpful but big question marks over his body. Love the bloke but his body fails him time and time again. If we're going to play him it has to be this week. Can't afford to have him do a calf first quarter in a final.

If we are going to concede in the ruck, Langers may come in. Disposal aside, you know that blood, sweat or tears, Langers won't allow you to clear the ball easily.

keep-calm-and-park-the-bus-3.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back