11-2 with Marshall
6-10 without Marshall

Todd Marshall's Career:

11Wins FTFY
2 Losses
14 Goals Kicked (1.1 per game)
26 Tackles (2 per game)
13 Clangers (1 per game)

He kicks goals, he applies pressure as a tall forward, he uses the ball well. The stats don't lie, Todd is an absolute pillar of the team and needs to stay in it for us to be successful in the imminent future.

Considering our coach is Mr 56% win ratio, its amazing to think over 3 seasons, ok not many games in any 3 of them, he was at 83% before Friday's game and is now at 84%, and the 2 loses 1 was in extra time and the other one when he was knocked out and played less than half a game.

From AFL Tables there are 571 players who have played between 1 and 9 games and never lost a game. Nobody has got to 10 or more games and ended their career undefeated.

Before Friday night Todds's win % had him at 655 and after it he is at 643 for best win % of their career. Does it mean much? In the totality of the game not really, but it shows we win a lot more than Ken's % when we have him in the side. He gets played week in week out and gets to 50 games and has a 75% win %, we will do some damage in September over the next couple of years.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/biglists/bg11.txt

Last edited:

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I actually think Power Aid is right. He is not soft, it is not as though he squibs contests, but he doesn't seem to have a killer instinct. He looks like he is trying to avoid giving away free kicks. He doesn't crash packs from behind. There were also a couple of times last night where a WC player went to the ground and instead of going straight to him, he backed off and allowed the ball to be dished off from the ground. He has a laconic style about him and whilst I don't think he should be expected to part the seas like Dixon who is 20kgs heavier, or run at players like a madman on meth ala Butters, he still needs to impose himself on the game more. At the end of the day he needs to stay in the team simply because we don't have a KPF to replace him with. But if we are going to advance much further we also need someone (it might be unfair to lay it on Marshall, but we need it on someone) to give a better contest in the air. Its unfortunate that he missed 2 very gettable goals because a 10 touch 3 goal game is much better than a 10 touch 1 goal game. That is ultimately the problem, he doesn't get into the game enough. I am genuinely struggling to think of a time where he got 15+ touches. In some ways the injuries to Watts/ Dixon will help, because he just has to play irrespective of his form. But when there are options he is going to have to produce more to stay in. He either has to become a link man ala Tom Lynch and get more of the ball, kick more goals if he is only going to get the pill 10 times, or be a force of nature if the air ala Dixon. 10 touches, 1.2, and bringing the ball to ground a few times isn't going to cut it for him personally or for us beating top sides.
Right Now he is an inexperienced forward leading our forward line and doing a great job of it.

Does he have improvement left? absolutely no one is denying that but given the circumstances, I really think he is way ahead in terms of what is expected.

Mikey13G

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2018
The People's Republic of Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Marshall missed a couple of shots but his influence in the team and structure is undeniable. We need to keep him in the AFL team because dropping him to the SANFL to 'gain confidence' is doing the exact opposite. Yes if Marshall is still only a 1 goal 10 possession player when Dixon is fit the coaches should think of dropping him. However, atm we have no Dixon and apart from Frampton and Peter Ladhams there are no other options.

People can say what they like about whether Todd should have been dropped, I wouldn’t have done it, but I’m not inside the club.

Ultimately he gave the coaches an excuse.

What I know though is after years of hearing about gold passes, it’s good to feel that pretty much anyone if not performing can go out- and that pretty much anyone who is performing below can get promoted.
Long term it’s a healthy selection policy.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Ken has learnt from dropping Todd and the consequences, then it's a good thing it's out of the way early in the season and not towards the more crucial point of our season.

Can someone get this article out from behind the paywall?

Its just Tredders in his weekly column catching up. I said he is the future of our forward line back on page 12 of the other Marshall thread the one started when we drafted him and I saw him play 1/2 a trial game.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/56c06ff7646f541be6660e704fece7bc
Todd Marshall is the key to Port Adelaide’s future.
At 20, and after only 13 games, he has the right ingredients to dominate for years to come. On Friday night against West Coast in Perth, he made a statement to the AFL world. And while many will point to his low statistics of 10 disposals, three marks (two contested), four inside-50s and one goal, his performance was so much more. In an era where many players win junk possessions with little influence on a game, Marshall’s performance was refreshing.

Not only did he play his most influential game in his short career, it was also his most effective — and he did it against one of the best defenders of all time, Eagles’ superstar Jeremy McGovern. Over the past few years, McGovern has been a constant thorn in Port Adelaide’s side, whether it was starting score launches from deep inside the oppositions 50 or marking everything in sight. Power coach Ken Hinkley has tried it all to stop him, but until Good Friday, he’s been unable to curb his influence. Clubs are faced with two options in planning to limit McGovern’s influence — they can tag him or play through his man and make him accountable.

Port chose to make him accountable, and that player was Marshall. Sure, a dominant Port midfield helped but McGovern wasn’t given the space he’s used to, dropping off and winning the aerial contest. Instead, he had to defend Marshall one on one. As Marshall’s confidence grew, he found himself outmarking the star defender as well as stifling his damaging rebound at the same time. And that’s why Port must persist with their talented young forward. There will be many ups and downs but history tells us young key-positions players and ruckmen take longer to develop. You just have to patient. After Marshall had two quiet games to start the season, Hinkley sent him back to the SANFL to find form. And while it was completely justified, he was clearly missed in the club’s back-to-back losses against Brisbane and Richmond. In both matches, Port lacked a consistent aerial presence forward of centre. The key roles were left to Paddy Ryder and Justin Westhoff — and it did not work.

To see him taking big strides on the field this season is heartwarming, it’s impossible to see Marshall not taking the AFL world by storm in the years to come.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/56c06ff7646f541be6660e704fece7bc

Last edited:
I wrote Warren Gary Tredrea gave him a big thumbs up on 5AA after the game and finished up with - he is 198cms and 87kgs, watch out when he gets to 97kgs.

Well Wazza is even more emphatic in his column above - "Not only did he play his most influential game in his short career, it was also his most effective — and he did it against one of the best defenders of all time, Eagles’ superstar Jeremy McGovern."

To paraphrase Wazza again, immediately after the 2004 GF siren, to those who criticized Todd on Friday night - to all the doubters out there, you can stick it up your arse!

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its just Tredders in his weekly column catching up. I said he is the future of our forward line back on page 12 of the other Marshall thread the one started when we drafted him and I saw him play 1/2 a trial game.

Todd Marshall is the key to Port Adelaide’s future.
At 20, and after only 13 games, he has the right ingredients to dominate for years to come. On Friday night against West Coast in Perth, he made a statement to the AFL world. And while many will point to his low statistics of 10 disposals, three marks (two contested), four inside-50s and one goal, his performance was so much more. In an era where many players win junk possessions with little influence on a game, Marshall’s performance was refreshing.

Not only did he play his most influential game in his short career, it was also his most effective — and he did it against one of the best defenders of all time, Eagles’ superstar Jeremy McGovern. Over the past few years, McGovern has been a constant thorn in Port Adelaide’s side, whether it was starting score launches from deep inside the oppositions 50 or marking everything in sight. Power coach Ken Hinkley has tried it all to stop him, but until Good Friday, he’s been unable to curb his influence. Clubs are faced with two options in planning to limit McGovern’s influence — they can tag him or play through his man and make him accountable.

Port chose to make him accountable, and that player was Marshall. Sure, a dominant Port midfield helped but McGovern wasn’t given the space he’s used to, dropping off and winning the aerial contest. Instead, he had to defend Marshall one on one. As Marshall’s confidence grew, he found himself outmarking the star defender as well as stifling his damaging rebound at the same time. And that’s why Port must persist with their talented young forward. There will be many ups and downs but history tells us young key-positions players and ruckmen take longer to develop. You just have to patient. After Marshall had two quiet games to start the season, Hinkley sent him back to the SANFL to find form. And while it was completely justified, he was clearly missed in the club’s back-to-back losses against Brisbane and Richmond. In both matches, Port lacked a consistent aerial presence forward of centre. The key roles were left to Paddy Ryder and Justin Westhoff — and it did not work.

To see him taking big strides on the field this season is heartwarming, it’s impossible to see Marshall not taking the AFL world by storm in the years to come.
Tredders is spot on ... But "No gold passes" must be the motto from now on. Dropping him was the right move IMO ... not replacing him with another tall, however, was a huge mistake, one that derailed our structure & cost us the two games.

Dropping him (and later Motlop) not only shook the player up, but IMO also sent a message to ALL the players - "Lift you game if you want to hold your spot!"

This is the right message to send.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Todd Marshall is going to be a gun. I’m going to lay it out and say that he will be one of the best KPFs in the game in a few years time. You can just tell by the way he moves around the ground, the little flicks he manufactures, the way whenever he doesn’t mark the ball it always seems to drop where he wants it to drop, its magnificent.

Anyone who’s tall and strong can be a good key forward. When Marshall is a bit bigger and stronger he’s going to be amazing.

If Connor Rozee can convince his buddy Luko to come on back to Adelaide in a couple of years we could have ourselves 8-10 years of genuine premiership contention on our hands.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Todd Marshall is going to be a gun. I’m going to lay it out and say that he will be one of the best KPFs in the game in a few years time. You can just tell by the way he moves around the ground, the little flicks he manufactures, the way whenever he doesn’t mark the ball it always seems to drop where he wants it to drop, its magnificent.

Anyone who’s tall and strong can be a good key forward. When Marshall is a bit bigger and stronger he’s going to be amazing.

If Connor Rozee can convince his buddy Luko to come on back to Adelaide in a couple of years we could have ourselves 8-10 years of genuine premiership contention on our hands.

Except for the fact that history is littered with these types that were recruited in hope and were massive flops.

People can say what they like about whether Todd should have been dropped, I wouldn’t have done it, but I’m not inside the club.

Ultimately he gave the coaches an excuse.

What I know though is after years of hearing about gold passes, it’s good to feel that pretty much anyone if not performing can go out- and that pretty much anyone who is performing below can get promoted.
Long term it’s a healthy selection policy.

Most would agree with this. In practice, it would be great if the non-performers are treated with some level of consistency. The talls always seem to cop it harder.

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
If Ken has learnt from dropping Todd and the consequences, then it's a good thing it's out of the way early in the season and not towards the more crucial point of our season.
Or Ken made a great decision. Todd came back from his 2 game absence playing much better footy. Ken got exactly what he was after by dropping him.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And got exactly what he deserved by not swapping him for another tall forward: two losses.
Not sure where these tall forwards we have in reserves are exactly?

Face it, it’s Marshall and then no one right now. Ken took a risk by dropping Marshall and in hindsight we probably win the Richmond game with him in the side, but we still would have won easily had we not played like s**t.

The way this board uses key forwards to complain about coaching is some of the most goalpost shifting s**t you’ll ever see.

Richmond didn’t have any trouble beating us with a lone tall forward and West Coast having Kennedy, Vardy and Darling got them absolutely nowhere against us.

It just doesn’t mean that much, it never has and it never will.

Yes you need minimum one tall forward, and two is very good, after that it’s about quality and form not just height. I agree that Sam Gray and Wines did nothing, but that doesn’t equate to Frampton or Marshall doing anything if they were included instead.

I know this post won’t change anyone’s mind though, it’s a freaking dogma around these parts that 3 tall forwards is the only system that works.

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
It’s a serious list management/balance issue that if we have our one key forward injured, and one out of form, that the coaches literally trust no one else to step into that void. Every club can surely find a Noah Balta type to come in and at least crash a few packs, but we seem to have activated a KPF version of the ruck gameplan we had from 2015-2018, which was basically crossing our fingers that Ryder stayed fit/unsuspended.

Given that we are looking well stocked in the midfield and defense, you’d hope we’d dip into the draft to find a couple of athletic big forwards. You need to a least buy a couple of lotto tickets to get the KPF studs. The post-Dixon era needs to be planned for now.

Last edited:

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Face it, it’s Marshall and then no one right now. Ken took a risk by dropping Marshall and in hindsight we probably win the Richmond game with him in the side, but we still would have won easily had we not played like s**t.

The way this board uses key forwards to complain about coaching is some of the most goalpost shifting s**t you’ll ever see.

Richmond didn’t have any trouble beating us with a lone tall forward and West Coast having Kennedy, Vardy and Darling got them absolutely nowhere against us.

Yes you need minimum one tall forward, and two is very good, after that it’s about quality and form not just height. I agree that Sam Gray and Wines did nothing, but that doesn’t equate to Frampton or Marshall doing anything if they were included instead.

I know this post won’t change anyone’s mind though, it’s a freaking dogma around these parts that 3 tall forwards is the only system that works.
Mate, Frampton did a more than serviceable job when Ken threw him in for the last game of 2018. In fact he played a very good game at AFL level, despite Ken saying publicly he wasnt ready!

If Ken had replaced Marshall with Frampton ...
a] He wouldn't have been rubbed out in the sanfl
b] We would have beaten Brisbane & Richmond IMO

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Obviously if you don’t give your forwards any supply then they’re going to be useless as Kennedy et al we’re on Friday, but assuming the midfield is doing their job properly the next piece of the puzzle are some genuine targets to aim at (and crumb off).

If Todd Marshall player all year we’re a good chance of being 5-0 imo.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He did not and he will never play again. I still remember Stringer winning the tap at one of the last centre bounces to ice the game.
That my friend, is the biggest load of Bullcrap I have ever heard. I mean, if you are going to make a profound statement of fact as evidence to support a view, at least have a modicum of actual truth included, or at least to make some sense!

I just checked the video of the last qtr of the Port v Essen round 23 clash … At the start of the 4th qtr, the score was 61 - 98 Essendon’s way. Port then control the game & score the next 3 goals 2 behinds, to Essendon’s 0.0. Then with 8 minutes left, and Port very much in contention Ryder & Stringer go in the ruck duel, where the ball is tapped down and Langford out-roves Wingard, and “ices the game!” Later, Frampton does have another ruck duel against Jayden Laverde, which Frampton convincingly wins, tapping to Wingard who drops the ball & Essendon kick a point. Essendon do score one more goal after that, but that is from the Lienert kickout going straight to Francis who passes to Zaharakis & he scores.

How wrong can you get? It was against Paddy Ryder that Stringer got the tap that seals the game! Port had control of the ruck, control of that last quarter, and had opportunity to win it, but you cannot put one iota of crap onto Frampton for the loss!

Also, Frampton was playing as a forward, giving Paddy a chop-out by rucking on occasions. If you bother watching that game with an open mind, Frampton Rucks quite well - The hit-out stats are Ryder 46, Leuenberger 26, Frampton 15, Westhoff 5, and Stringer 4. Also, why would you even pick out one (non-existant) poor tap-out as reason not to play him as a second tall forward?! Frampton's forward work that match was very good, he had 4 really good marks, kicked 1.2, and had a solid impact as a tall.

Really, yours is just a very poor call!

TRUTH:
Ryder.JPG

Attachments

• Ryder 2.JPG
    Ryder 2.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back