Analysis Play Todd Marshall...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where these tall forwards we have in reserves are exactly?

Face it, it’s Marshall and then no one right now. Ken took a risk by dropping Marshall and in hindsight we probably win the Richmond game with him in the side, but we still would have won easily had we not played like s**t.

The way this board uses key forwards to complain about coaching is some of the most goalpost shifting s**t you’ll ever see.

Richmond didn’t have any trouble beating us with a lone tall forward and West Coast having Kennedy, Vardy and Darling got them absolutely nowhere against us.

It just doesn’t mean that much, it never has and it never will.

Yes you need minimum one tall forward, and two is very good, after that it’s about quality and form not just height. I agree that Sam Gray and Wines did nothing, but that doesn’t equate to Frampton or Marshall doing anything if they were included instead.

I know this post won’t change anyone’s mind though, it’s a freaking dogma around these parts that 3 tall forwards is the only system that works.

It's just a coincidence that we're 11-2 with Marshall in the team I guess. Just dumb luck.

It's just pure chance that the 2 games we did lose were a game where he was concussed and only had 39% game time, and a game where we lost after the siren despite having 8 more scoring shots.

It's just a coincidence that we're 11-2 with Marshall in the team I guess. Just dumb luck.

It's just pure chance that the 2 games we did lose were a game where he was concussed and only had 39% game time, and a game where we lost after the siren despite having 8 more scoring shots.
Marshall did not play in either of our 2 losses.
He got dropped for the Brisbane game.
We won the game where he got concussed.

A few here have posted from a pov that he was only dropped for 1 game, it was actually 2.

Ken is that thick he needed 2 losses to realise his importance to the team.

Marshall did not play in either of our 2 losses.
He got dropped for the Brisbane game.
We won the game where he got concussed.

A few here have posted from a pov that he was only dropped for 1 game, it was actually 2.

Ken is that thick he needed 2 losses to realise his importance to the team.
I mean since Marshall debuted in 2017. He's 11-2. Not a coincidence.

"The way this board uses key forwards to complain about coaching is some of the most goalpost shifting s**t you’ll ever see."
But it is coaching. It's the coaches decision to drop him. It's their decision to replace him with a guy who is completely inept in playing that position. We play completely different when we don't have that target inside 50. People need to starting getting it into their skulls it is not the fact he needs to kick a bag and take 20 contested marks a game, which would be nice, it's the fact not every single other poor campaigner is A not played out of position and B, actually let's said campaigners play in a proper structure and shape. It's really not that ******* hard to see how much better he makes our side.
There is clearly enough of a sample size to suggest that now. It's not even murmor under the bleaches anymore, it's a statistical fact.

Also "goalpost shifting" is a pretty interesting comment when lots of us have spent more than half a decade complaining about our coaches not placing any value on maintaining structure.

And the results have repeatedly backed that position, the current trend being that Todd Marshall has a career W/L record of 11-2, with his only losses coming when he went off concussed against Essendon in 2018, and the 2017 EF where we lost after the siren despite having 8 more scoring shots.

Richmond's short forward line doesn't work with the rule changes because it was based around locking the ball in their forward line, which is much harder to achieve with the rule changes. Apart from having the game against us handed to them on a silver platter, their 2 wins this season have come against 2 of the worst teams in the league in Sydney and Carlton.

West Coast's forwards couldn't get into the game because we utterly dominated the midfield until we were 50 points up.

haha any doubts the club employees read this board are dispelled by this article published at 5.39pm. Thanks Paul at AFL Tables.

Marshall: Port's 'winningest' Power player

TODD MARSHALL has become Ken Hinkley’s No.1 lucky charm.

Returning to the AFL side for last Friday night’s sensational win over premiers West Coast in Perth, Marshall is now the ‘winningest’ player in Port Adelaide’s AFL history. He has a 11-2 win/loss record at an 84.6% strike rate to lead all players who have played more than five games.

Four others are above 70% - Damien Hardwick (43-11 at 79.6%), Byron Pickett (41-14 at 74.6%) and Brent Guerra (47-18 at 72.3%) and Che Cockatoo-Collins (53-22 at 70.7%) Next best among current players who have played more than five games are Riley Bonner (18-10 at 64.3%), Sam Powell-Pepper (27-16 at 62.8%), Tom Rockliff (14-9 at 60.9%), Tom Clurey (39-26 at 60.0%) and Aidyn Johnson (6-4 at 60.0%).

Marshall, with a 3-0 record this season after the Power’s first win in three visits to Optus Stadium in Perth, is one of three Port players with an unblemished 2019 record. Jack Watts and Karl Amon are both 2-0.

Among 185 Port AFL players, 10 have never played in a winning side – Mitch Farmer (0-3), Jarrad Irons (0-3), Ryan Williams (0-2), Mark Conway (0-1),Steve Brosnan (0-1), Paul Geister (0-1), Stephen Gilham (0-1), Cameron Cloke (0-1) and current players Trent McKenzie (0-1) and Billy Frampton (0-1).

Seven Port players have never played in a loss – Jaxon Crabb (4-), Chris Hall (2-0), Adam Cockshell (2-0), Wade Thompson (2-0), Tom Harley (1-0), Allan Murray (1-0) and Will Snelling (1-0).

The other statistical oddity to emerge from the Power’s Round 5 win wasn’t exactly an oddity. In fact it was almost the norm. The win over the Eagles was the seventh time in coach Hinkley’s seven-year 142-game rein that he has beaten the reigning premiers.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-04-23/marshall-ports-winningest-power-player

Hahaha, so the PAFC player with the best winning percentage is Jaxon Crabb? That article says we've had 185 AFL players, if you asked me to name the Port player with the best winning percentage Crabb would've probably been my 185th guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched FootyWA. Scotty Cummings showed about 5-6 passages of play where Marshall basically stopped McGovern getting to a marking contest by engaging him with bodywork so that he couldn't get to the fall of the ball in time. The role he played on Friday should not be understated at all.

Just watched FootyWA. Scotty Cummings showed about 5-6 passages of play where Marshall basically stopped McGovern getting to a marking contest by engaging him with bodywork so that he couldn't get to the fall of the ball in time. The role he played on Friday should not be understated at all.

Meanwhile Sam Gray released to play in the midfield runs around like an unregistered dog getting into everything and makes the AFL.com.au team of the week.

But yeah nah it's not about whether you're suited to play a role, it's just about whether you're good or not.

KPF keeps KPD busy have we just reimagined the way footyball is played I think so.

We aren't 11-2 we are 11-1-1, and he didn't play for much more than a quarter in the loss.

To those mentioning other teams failing and succeeding with/without tall forwards, it's about having a game plan and structure that works together.

The biggest issue port has had over the past 4 years is that we have had a game plan which only works with talls, by kicking long, markable balls, but have played it with smalls like s Gray and neade. If we were chaos balling or had a chipping game plan to guys like that it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Hahaha, so the PAFC player with the best winning percentage is Jaxon Crabb? That article says we've had 185 AFL players, if you asked me to name the Port player with the best winning percentage Crabb would've probably been my 185th guess.
You're better than me. I forgot he existed.

We aren't 11-2 we are 11-1-1, and he didn't play for much more than a quarter in the loss.

Ffs I've just been triggered back down the rabbit hole of the 'debate' around whether Shuey should've been awarded that free. That Sunday footy show video where resident geniuses Tony Jones, Purple Barrett and Nathan Brown laugh it up and tell Cornes that he 'must be watching different vision' when he claims that Shuey lifted his arm to being the tackle up above his head. Wtf.

Barrett then scolds Kane for being unfair to Shuey who has been through a lot after being 'much maligned for dropping his knees'. * off you big shithead, way to obscure the obvious point. Shuey should be maligned for the rest of his career a la Lindsay Thomas for pulling that s**t in an Elim final.

Barrett then scolds Kane for being unfair to Shuey who has been through a lot after being 'much maligned for dropping his knees'. **** off you big shithead, way to obscure the obvious point. Shuey should be maligned for the rest of his career a la Lindsay Thomas for pulling that s**t in an Elim final.

Rodney Eade likes this.

the question is why wasnt this done like 4 matches ago when we played WC, instead we just kept kicking it to him, another Hinkley failure

You prompted me ...I am watching it now :D

I’m really not a huge fan of Marshall, but everyone seems to be buzzing about him, so I’ll defer.
I prefer forwards built more like Dixon than Westhoff.

He did play in a period where we only lost a handful of games, mostly finals. It's obscure but not that surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back