Player Agent Warfare

Remove this Banner Ad

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

THE AFL'S two biggest player management groups are at war following the poaching of one of the industry's rising star agents.
After 12 years at Craig Kelly's TLA, agent Nick Gieschen resigned in December after accepting an offer of employment, as well as scope to buy a shareholding, at Connors Sports Management.
Kelly was enraged when made aware of the defection and has since told Gieschen he would legally seek to enforce a 14-month 'no-compete period'.

Thoughts?

Rising star agent after 12 years? It take like 40 years to be considered star agent?
C’mon mate there is only one star agent that’s Ricky didn’t ask her age Nixon

just ask him he will tell you

I think it depends on how much Kelly was paying him.

If you are being paid a shitload of money then your employer has the right to prevent you from competing with them for a couple of years. It is part of the deal.

No doubt Kelly was paying a handsome salary.

Thoughts?
For the agents its all about how much money they can make on each player.
They are cash machines for the agents and have have zero interest in the long term future of any player once that player has retired.
Any intelligent player really shouldn't need an agent, but because a majority of players are not very intelligent they need an agent.

He wouldn't have been offered a share of the company if they didn't think that at least a significant number of players would likely follow him.

It was also done when they were on skeleton staff and the players were on holidays. So the attempt to bring over as many as possible is well underway.

He would know their terms and so smart players would be getting offers from the new mob and be playing them both off against each other to renegotiate better deals, depending on where their negotiations are at. The status of negotiations currently underway is TLA IP i wouldve thought is fairly reasonable, which is why he is they are fighting over having it reduced to before the end of this years trade period. Based on that i dont think he would be able to bring players over until 2021 formally but he may be able to get in principle commitments before then. In any case no club will deal with him for 2021 deals until he is formally appointed as their agent with the new mob, or would they. ;)

For the agents its all about how much money they can make on each player.
They are cash machines for the agents and have have zero interest in the long term future of any player once that player has retired.
Any intelligent player really shouldn't need an agent, but because a majority of players are not very intelligent they need an agent.

Dont think that is right, you can have both a professional & personal relationship at one time & its common in many professional situations (imho). That kids are drafted away from home at a young age & havent ever fended for themselves, makes 'a mother role' part of the gig.
If they are that way inclined they can steer investments.
Long time since players represented themselves I'm told, do you have any examples currently?

Dont think that is right, you can have both a professional & personal relationship at one time & its common in many professional situations (imho). That kids are drafted away from home at a young age & havent ever fended for themselves, makes 'a mother role' part of the gig.
If they are that way inclined they can steer investments.
Long time since players represented themselves I'm told, do you have any examples currently?
No i don't have any examples Currently, but its beyond me why all players seem to need an agent/Manager.
In my opinion sports player agents are leeches.
Take take from the game and give next to nothing back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No i don't have any examples Currently, but its beyond me why all players seem to need an agent/Manager.
Obviously you don't understand elite sport

If me son had the ability to play AFL at top level he wouldn't have needed an agent as he has been well educated and would have been aware of his value, and there are well educated AFL players who really shouldn't need to employ these leeches of the game, but as we know intelligence is not a strong factor with a vast majority of footballers, but not all.

If me son had the ability to play AFL at top level he wouldn't have needed an agent as he has been well educated and would have been aware of his value, and there are well educated AFL players who really shouldn't need to employ these leeches of the game, but as we know intelligence is not a strong factor with a vast majority of footballers, but not all.
My

Mate they even pay kids bills, its crazy but the last big name player not to have a manager I know of, is Gerard Healy - he doesnt have one still, most (all?) media types have them too - go figure !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back