Prediction Player breakout predictions for your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath. Our well deserved number 1 draft pick.
I’d say McGrath wouldn’t go inside 10 if redrafted the 2016 draft. This should be spoke about in the media more than Walsh being compared to everyone in the next 3-4 drafts. Luckily Essendon own get puff pieces in the local papers otherwise pressure would be right on him. Im not saying he’s a bad player but pick 1 was way too much to pay for him.

I’d say McGrath wouldn’t go inside 10 if redrafted the 2016 draft. This should be spoke about in the media more than Walsh being compared to everyone in the next 3-4 drafts. Luckily Essendon own get puff pieces in the local papers otherwise pressure would be right on him. Im not saying he’s a bad player but pick 1 was way too much to pay for him.
Just had a look and yeah you could argue that as many as 10 could be picked before him if it was re-done today, but bloody hell, what an ordinary draft that was! Such an underwhelming top 35 or so.

Kemp will if he stays fit. Cerra as being a top talent in the comp will as will Curnow IMO. Durdin to become a recognised small forward.
Jack Carroll really looks the goods - seems to have so much time around the ball! Hoping to see him get a good run with injury and stay in the side a bit - will be hard with our new midfield though!

Yes at the time as well as now I never saw him as number 1.
But I think barring injury this year will be a breakout year. And he will be the best defensive midfielder in the competition. Those type of mids are rare. A mid that can average around 30 touches in the defensive half of the ground.
Give me that type over a forward half mid every day of the week.

Last edited:
Yes at the time as well as now I never saw him as number 1.
But I think barring injury this year will be a breakout year. And he will be the best defensive midfielder in the competition. Those type of mids are rare. A mid that can average around 30 touches in the defensive half of the ground.
Give me that type over a forward half mid every day of the week.
Don’t think he’s ever gonna be that. Not strong enough. Doesn’t really play midfield well enough. Should stick to HBF.

Well a couple that have already broken out in butters and Georgiades but expect they will go to the next level this year.

Both looking very likely to stamp themselves as top players in the afl.

Bergman will break out at some point, it’s really a question of this year or next depending on fitness and that it’s pretty hard to fit him into midfield rotations.

Zac Bailey, all-Australian and becoming the most electric player in the comp.

Ralphsmith for us. Looks like a gun winger in the making. Ed Langdon but with better skills.

Max King is the obvious choice, but....

Gee, Jack Higgins looks 'on'. And....

If that Cooper Sharman kid turns out to be what he looked like late last year?

Forwards, forwards, forwards.

Just had a look and yeah you could argue that as many as 10 could be picked before him if it was re-done today, but bloody hell, what an ordinary draft that was! Such an underwhelming top 35 or so.
And yet it could be the backbone of Freo’s next run at finals:

• Sean Darcy pick 38
  • Luke Ryan pick 66
  • Brennan Cox pick 41

Griffen Logue at 8 looks like he’s going to hold a place down back even with Pearce and Hamling coming back.

But after five full seasons to only have two All Australians from that draft and both of them mature age defenders (Tom Stewart and Luke Ryan) does indicate it’s a poor year quality wise.

Only really McCluggage and Darcy look likely to push for AA squad this year (I like Taranto, but not sure he’s going to quite get there).

Max King is the obvious choice, but....

Gee, Jack Higgins looks 'on'. And....

If that Cooper Sharman kid turns out to be what he looked like late last year?

Forwards, forwards, forwards.
What’s the expectation for Higgins this year? Does he continue to play that attacking half forward role?

In terms of established players taking a further step I'd like to put up Andy McGrath, if he has an uninterpreted pre season I can see him having a big year.

Harry Jones and Sammy Draper are 2 young KPP who could/should take big steps.

How will anyone make sense of it though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a draft with a clear top 3 and a lot of really good B grade players who aren't quite A graders but could easily be soon. Clug, Taranto and McGrath are a fantastic representation of this entire draft pool if we're honest.

Scrimshaw
Florent
Simpkin
Berry
English
Cumming
Ridley
Parfitt
Drew
Graham
Luke Ryan
Larkey
R.Marshall*
Draper*
Zuurhar*
J.Henry*
Big O*

*rookie draft

Those players in particular would likely be welcomed with open arms by all opposition supporters to their sides.

The big name above those players is Sean Darcy. Would easily be top 4 now in a redraft. Likely top 2.

Liam Baker.

Going to win tigers bnf and will be all Australian. Kid is a legit gun.

ROWBOTTOM, is going to be an elite inside mid and this year will make big moves I think.

For the saints, Battle.

If he can stay fit, Jade Gresham

Set to rotate between forward and mid

Looked like he was going to the next level the last two years before injury. Apparently never been fitter

The two examples from 1:55 to 2:10 are why we're excited about Jai's prospects. A bull with massive desire to follow up with second efforts and enough footy smarts to become an attacking weapon as well.

This has been his first summer in a proper elite program. He's only going to get better IMO

I would like to change my selection to Heath Chapman.
KPP size, super fast, great skills on both sides, poise and space, very good 1 on 1. Will end up being a 196cm midfielder within a couple of years given the backline depth. His scratch match last weekend was very good.
I haven’t seen this much hype about a young Freo player on our board since I joined Big Footy.

He was good, but he's been good since he debuted. Thought it was more of a quirk of clubs B+F's than an indication he's anywhere near the elite. Would be interesting to see him play as the primary intercept player alongside 2 genuine key defenders and with more freedom to dictate position.

He was much better this past season than any of his ealier ones, and it was noticeable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back