SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
Will do a few of these, time-permitting will do as many as I can.
Won't be doing players who played less than five games of senior footy this year as I do not have the opportunity to watch our reserves first-hand (despite taking a keen interest in updates and highlights) and do not wish to make many comments on players that I haven't seen enough full matches from.

Without further ado, here's the first review:

JAMES ROSE #1

James+Rose+m5svChRxgYIm.jpg

5 games, 2 goals, 2 direct goal-assists

Averaged 12.8 disposals, 5.4 tackles & 4.6 contested possessions per game

After debuting late last year and receiving his first taste of senior footy, Rose had to work hard for the early part of 2016 to break into the best 22, and when he did the twenty-year-old showed promising signs for what is to come in the future during his second stint at AFL level.

After some impressive early-season form in the reserves, Rose got his call-up in Round 11 against the Gold Coast and in his first three senior games for 2016 (against the Suns, Giants and Demons in Rounds 11-13), he seemed to understand his small forward/half-forward role and his consistent intensity, attitude to applying pressure and focus towards team-oriented football were standout characteristics of his contributions to those games, and if he can force his way into the team next year his acceleration, agility and ground level cleanliness are going to be valuable attributes for us.

Unfortunately the Round 14 bye seemed to have a negative effect on him, and the consistency of the attributes and characteristics mentioned above dropped away a bit during the Round 15 loss against the Dogs at the SCG, and then again further in the following match (had six disposals and two tackles in our win against Geelong at Simonds in Kieren Jack’s 200th) before Longmire sent him back to the NEAFL.

He has also shown during the past two seasons of the NEAFL competition that he has the ability as a wonderfully skilled and penetrating kick for goal, but is yet to show that ability so far in his senior career and unfortunately has not shown the composure or instinctiveness required to make the most of his scoring opportunities at AFL level, we hope to see him show that next year.

Last edited:
CALLUM SINCLAIR #18

1460193256187.jpg

16 games, 10 goals, 7 direct goal assists

Averaged 10 disposals, 14 hitouts, 3 marks & 3 tackles

A product of several revered footy factories - Caulfield Grammar, Beaumaris Sharks, Collingwood (VFL), Port Melbourne, Subiaco Lions and the West Coast Eagles – Cal Sinclair arrived at the end of last year on the back of his first full season of senior AFL footy, and he was impressive throughout his twenty games during the Eagles' 2015 campaign performing consistently in his forward/ruck role, and was therefore rewarded with selection - holding out positional rival Scott Lycett - to partner Nic Naitanui in the ruck for his first finals series and Grand Final.

Cal brought the determined attitude to continue improving his ruckwork and his natural (yet underestimated) key-forward talents and nouse with him to the Swans, and prior to his knee injury - in Round 6 against the Lions - he was in career-best form and enjoying his new partnership with Kurt Tippett (coincidentally also in career-best form) which was highlighted by his three goal performance against Carlton.

When the chips were down in the first half and the scoreboard wasn’t ticking for us and was for the Blues – and with most of the senior heads seeming to be struggling – Cal led the way across all areas of the ground and showed what he is capable of when confident, in form and fully fit.

After the injury he was extremely courageous in his efforts to continue for a further eleven games and whilst his running ability was impeded he used his forward half know-how to impact aerial contests and assist his teammates (highlighted most notably by Buddy's match-sealing goal from 80 metres against the Hawks in Round 9, which a hampered Sincas had a big hand in) and through his persistence to play through the injury he in the process became more physical with his ruckwork.

However the question surely must be asked whether he should have had the operation earlier to give him at least half a chance to be fit and ready for the finals series (in this observer’s opinion a fully fit Sincas as a lead-up key forward would have offered a lot more for us in the Grand Final than Xavier Richards gave us in that role), if he had have had the cleanout after Round 10 instead of after Round 18 we may have seen him reappear for September (& October).

We all look forward to a fully fit Cal Sinclair competing hard in the ruck and helping Buddy kick some goals in season 2017.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2016-04-04/cal-kurt-bag-seven-april-4-2016

#chief

Last edited:

Will do a few of these, time-permitting will do as many as I can.
Won't be doing players who played less than five games of senior footy this year as I do not have the opportunity to watch our reserves first-hand (despite taking a keen interest in updates and highlights) and do not wish to make many comments on players that I haven't seen enough full matches from.

Without further ado, here's the first review:

JAMES ROSE #1

James+Rose+m5svChRxgYIm.jpg

5 games, 2 goals, 2 direct goal-assists

Averaged 12.8 disposals, 5.4 tackles & 4.6 contested possessions per game

After debuting late last year and receiving his first taste of senior footy, Rose had to work hard for the early part of 2016 to break into the best 22, and when he did the twenty-year-old showed promising signs for what is to come in the future during his second stint at AFL level.

After some impressive early-season form in the reserves, Rose got his call-up in Round 11 against the Gold Coast and in his first three senior games for 2016 (against the Suns, Giants and Demons in Rounds 11-13), he seemed to understand his small forward/half-forward role and his consistent intensity, attitude to applying pressure and focus towards team-oriented football were standout characteristics of his contributions to those games, and if he can force his way into the team next year his acceleration, agility and ground level cleanliness are going to be valuable attributes for us.

Unfortunately the Round 14 bye seemed to have a negative effect on him, and the consistency of the attributes and characteristics mentioned above dropped away a bit during the Round 15 loss against the Dogs at the SCG, and then again further in the following match (had six disposals and two tackles in our win against Geelong at Simonds in Kieren Jack’s 200th) before Longmire sent him back to the NEAFL.

He has also shown during the past two seasons of the NEAFL competition that he has the ability as a wonderfully skilled and penetrating kick for goal, but is yet to show that ability so far in his senior career and unfortunately has not shown the composure or instinctiveness required to make the most of his scoring opportunities at AFL level, we hope to see him show that next year.

Saw him a couple of times in the ressies. He plays with a lot of energy but needs a bit of guidance from time to time. The lack of a true leader (sorry Bud) in the forward 50 hurts him a bit IMO.

Good write up about Sinclair, I thought he looked OK pre-knee injury too but dropped right off after that. I'll be honest and say I'd prefer Nankers if both are fully fit but we may not have a choice.

Probably right, but he could play a role if fit

Callum Sinclair played one good game against Carlton

The rest of the time he was basically a toothbrush
he is pound for pound $ for $ the worst player on our list IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same ... I didn't even realise he played 5 games!
Hes got enough to like about him. Think he will cement a spot next year with another pre season. Xfactor in forward line once Heeney moves to midfield maybe.

Hes got enough to like about him. Think he will cement a spot next year with another pre season. Xfactor in forward line once Heeney moves to midfield maybe.
Didn't wanna say it in the review cause it would sound kinda mean but I think he's another victim of being an athlete, not a footballer.
To learn how to deal with AFL level pressure is one thing, to do it when you aren't a natural footballer is far more difficult.
Might become a decent winger or half back one day if he develops himself the same way as Rampe has.
Not sure if he is naturally talented enough to kick goals regularly at AFL level.

And I think the criticism of Sinclair is a bit rough, the guy was playing injured after round six. Needs to take a few more marks around the ground but is going to be great for us if he's fit and confident and up forward.

And I think the criticism of Sinclair is a bit rough, the guy was playing injured after round six. Needs to take a few more marks around the ground but is going to be great for us if he's fit and confident and up forward.
Were his fingers injured? He dropped a million marks this year. He got to the right spots then spilled sodas

Were his fingers injured? He dropped a million marks this year. He got to the right spots then spilled sodas

Which is crazy that it seems he hasn't had some guidance in getting his thumbs behind the ball. He seems to go for marks like wet weather footy. He takes those marks and he is a different player. At the moment he is laughable in spilling the easiest or taking double bites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back