Player claim for 2017 - Josh Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Buckley did gift him games.
One matter I don't like reading is this notion

"Gifted games"

That's just not right, anycaoch wants the best for the team as they see it, and if Smith played it's because he earned his spot.

No freebies in football as such.

I don't agree with Buckley on many things what's your point.
As ofcourse as is your right.
However,
If it clouds your judgment then sometimes the arguments advanced lack the full force (due to the Buckley stance) which is a pity.

^^^ you're wrong because you contrived some ridiculous fantasy in your head about Buckley gifting games to Smith so...what? He could heap praise on Buckley?

Its not a fantasy its a difference of opinion. There's no conspiracy or weird angle. I just don't think Smith should have played as many games as he did.

Smith is a very good decision maker and a good user of the ball. If he wasn't he wouldn't have racked up so many games.
Because our selection committee always gives games to the right players and never make mistakes...

Josh Smith has done well and now with added competition will be interesting to ses how he goes.
Suggest hes not top class but good medium talent.
All up to him with his career.

"Gifted games"

That's just not right, anycaoch wants the best for the team as they see it, and if Smith played it's because he earned his spot.

Maybe gifted wasn't the term I should have used. I have no doubt Buckley wants the best for the club.

Well Buckley did gift him games.

Mike, I'll challenge you on that.
I reckon he'll be as you say 'gifted' another 10 games this season on merit...
I'll wager an adult season ticket for 2018 if I'm wrong if you want to back your sentiment.

Over to you...might as well make it interesting. You'll at least follow his games more closely.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
He over delivered on first year expectations and played some solid football, no reason he can't take another step this year. I'm not sure where the improvement will come from but one more year in the system can only help him. He has a very good attitude and sure he will put in the effort.

Credit where credit is due, he had a promising first year.

Mike, I reckon you're a solid poster but I'll challenge you on that.
I reckon he'll be gifted another 10 games this season on merit...
I'll wager an adult season ticket for 2018 if I'm wrong if you want to back your sentiment.

Over to you...might as well make it interesting. You'll at least follow his games more closely.

Wait do I win if he plays less or more than ten games?

"Gifted games"

...and how would any poster know what discussions took place when Smith was selected
They just turn their guesses into their own little facts

Last edited:
...and how would any poster know what discussions took place when Smith was selected
They just their guesses into their own little facts
Internet allows the imagined to be voiced as fact.

But gives us something to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see the basis for the criticism of this guy. How many high draft picks don't play as many or as good games in their first year as he has? In looking at the future of players with limited games played I always remember that I didn't think Dane Swan was any more than a fill in battler after his first couple of years. Smith has done far better than Swanny did early on, so cut him a bit of slack. I would be more inclined to agree with the original post than the negatives that followed.

Last edited:
Really solid year , liked his vision coming out of back ,switches play well and can kick goals ,could be a ripper pick up.
Imo we need some players that are just no fuss no tricks but can depend on them to be where they are supposed to be ie looking after their
opponent instead of relying on Reid and Howell to cover the whole back line

Marley Williams, Tom Phillips, Ben Crocker and James Aish though this all depends on what game and what time of the season.

BTW I'm not saying he didn't deserve any games because I think he's perfect as a depth player who can come in and out of the side and plug holes in similar to Goldsack.
Williams showed that he didn't deserve his spot, Aish was given time and when ready he played and the other two don't think that they were vying for the same spot.

Doubt he will ever be an A grader but will be very serviceable and until someone else steps up, think he deserved his spot.

Williams showed that he didn't deserve his spot, Aish was given time and when ready he played and the other two don't think that they were vying for the same spot.

Doubt he will ever be an A grader but will be very serviceable and until someone else steps up, think he deserved his spot.
As I said at certain points of the season with applies directly to Aish. I'll admit Williams form wasn't best but I think we should have given him a better run at it to regain his form. As for the other two not vying for same spot you just change structures. Would have given them Varcoe's forward spot and played him down back.

I can't see the basis for the criticism of this guy. How many high draft picks don't play as many or as good games in their first year as he has?

How many high draft picks are as old as Smith when they come into the system?

Wait do I win if he plays less or more than ten games?

You win if he plays less than 10 games.
I win if he plays 10 or more.
I'll need an injury clause though if he's injured for 5 games or more. I don't think that's unreasonable.
Will give us some additional interest in him in any event.

GA, H&A season ticket is $350 for 2017. NB depending what type of package you normally get it might be better doing a tran$fer.
Anyway, if keen, see what you think. We can DM for the specifics rather than thrash it out here.

You win if he plays less than 10 games.
I win if he plays 10 or more.
I'll need an injury clause though if he's injured for 5 games or more. I don't think that's unreasonable.
Will give us some additional interest in him in any event.

GA, H&A season ticket is $350 for 2017. NB depending what type of package you normally get it might be better doing a tran$fer.
Anyway, if keen, see what you think. We can DM for the specifics rather than thrash it out here.

Look I have to decline because even though I don't rate him highly I still think he'll get games.

Look I have to decline because even though I don't rate him highly I still think he'll get games.
Sorry can't resist

Beep beep beep beep

IMG_0850.JPG

As I said at certain points of the season with applies directly to Aish. I'll admit Williams form wasn't best but I think we should have given him a better run at it to regain his form. As for the other two not vying for same spot you just change structures. Would have given them Varcoe's forward spot and played him down back.
Watching a 2014 replay on Foxtel last night and realising William's alarming drop of form between 2014 and 2016. Don't know the reasons why, but you can understand the club trading him to NM.

Watching a 2014 replay on Foxtel last night and realising William's alarming drop of form between 2014 and 2016. Don't know the reasons why, but you can understand the club trading him to NM.

Not for SFA though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back