Player claim for 2017 - Josh Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you be more specific?
He needs to start picking out more dangerous options that can hurt the opposition rather than just finding the safe sideways option ala Langdon.

What has this guy got to do for some love around here?

A lack of hurt factor with his kicking skills and an uncanny ability to pick a poor moment for a clanger or fumble really mark against him. I do like Josh, he's a safe, hard working outside accumulator. I don't have him in my best 22 but he is good depth. He'll play plenty courtesy of it being rarely possible to play your full best 22.

I think people mistake his age for experience.
A first season player finding his feet, he will better for the run next year and take the game on more.

I'm a big fan of Josh Smith. I'd love to see a 5 minute highlights package of his use by hand. There are 1 or 2 examples on the video in the OP. He's so clean, and has the ability to fire off a quick, clean handball before he gets tackled. One or two have said he's not damaging enough, but if one of these quick handballs lands in the lap of Maynard, Treloar, Pendles or any decent kick in our side, then I'd argue that that's pretty damaging.

I reckon he's a very smart player who makes good decisions and executes for you 9/10 times. I don't think he plays it safe at all. He's not going to try and thread the eye of the needle but he's certainly not looking for a cheap outlet - not at all. That was Aish's crime earlier in the year, not Smiths.

Very solid player and terrific value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sitting on the fence, I thought he was shite in his first game and not much better in the following handful. He kept plugging away and by years end he'd earned everyone's respect!

If he improves this year then what a ripping talent the club has found! Wish him all the best! I only have doubts about his pace and his ability to defend deep in our backline against small forwards. Still this is compensated by the fact he seems to find shite loads of the ball and uses it extremely well.

Reckon he will get first crack at it round one, it will be up to developing and recovering players to push him out.

the coaches wanted him to do a certain role and he did it, well.
lets see what the kid can do this year before we pigeon hole him.
as anzacday said 1st year player, age does not mean experience, lots to learn going forward

Had a great debut season but I'm still not sold on him. If he backs it up and develops further in 2017 then I'm on board but equally he could get overtaken. Time will tell. It will also be interesting to see where he lines up in 2017.

One matter I don't like reading is this notion

"Gifted games"

That's just not right, anycaoch wants the best for the team as they see it, and if Smith played it's because he earned his spot.

No freebies in football as such.

I guess the question is would he have had the same opportunities if we had a fit Langdon, Ramsay or Sinclair, even an in-form Williams? No freebies, but timing is everything.

I guess the question is would he have had the same opportunities if we had a fit Langdon, Ramsay or Sinclair, even an in-form Williams? No freebies, but timing is everything.
Timing does make a difference

15 years max I would say
In that part of the world it would be more like 20-25 years! ;)

gary.jpg

I think Josh Smith would be the perfect training partner for Callum Brown. CB can find the ball naturally and is already tough as nails...but a professional training year with a guy who's had nothing handed to him (Josh Smith) would prime CB for his 2018 assault on the competition. Cal needs to get his endurance and gut running tank built and Joshy Smith is already there and knows how to attain it. Bit like what Johnno did for Swanny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back