Prediction Player Claim - Sam McLarty

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks the goods but I have no idea why he isn’t being developed in the backline, you would think there is a potential spot for him there at AFL level.

We're pretty light on for tall forward options. I think he could easily transition back to defence if needed.

I think the club are happy to throw him all over the ground, to give him a rounded education. I think he has very good forward instincts. I haven't seem him much as a leading forward, but he certainly knows how to get himself into dangerous spots and he's incredibly agile for his size.

I really love watching him play, wherever he is on the ground.

He looks the goods but I have no idea why he isn’t being developed in the backline, you would think there is a potential spot for him there at AFL level.
He's developed more this year as a FWD/RUCK. He's a utility. He won't ever play the same spot each week.

Its funny how he played his best when given one role.
Kind of like Goldsack having a career best year last year playing only as a key defender. Having a defined role is severely underrated.

But what is more important, a player playing his best, or a team playing its best? The utility role may not be best for the performance of the individual, but be best for the team.

Utilities are important because they provide flexibility, particularly when things go back and you need to make changes on game day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be time to give him a few games. I don't think he'll be best 22 this year, but he's pretty early in the queue in terms of depth. I am dreaming of September and we need him to be able to step in and feel comfortable if injuries strike.

Lets be honest, in terms of tall depth hes number one in the queue.

In fact he IS the queue!!!

Would love to see him debut v Richmond, even if its just a single game to cover for a resting Reid or Cox.

Lets be honest, in terms of tall depth hes number one in the queue.

In fact he IS the queue!!!

Would love to see him debut v Richmond, even if its just a single game to cover for a resting Reid or Cox.
We've got Moore out at the moment, so I'd suggest that he needs 2 injuries to be called upon

Id also like to see him against the tigers and throughout the year to come in for Reid in order to manage Reids workload as well as give McLarty a taste. Obviously if he performs and Cox doesn't he becomes a regular.

We've got Moore out at the moment, so I'd suggest that he needs 2 injuries to be called upon

Id also like to see him against the tigers and throughout the year to come in for Reid in order to manage Reids workload as well as give McLarty a taste. Obviously if he performs and Cox doesn't he becomes a regular.

Moore can return to CHB, where he has been training all year. We are a down a tall anyway so two can easily come in for one. Howe at CHB reduces his ability to create. Move him to a flank.

Its not beyond the realms that Moore and McLarty could both come in. But lets save that for the Changes v Richmond thread that wont start until after Anzac Day.

But what is more important, a player playing his best, or a team playing its best? The utility role may not be best for the performance of the individual, but be best for the team.

Utilities are important because they provide flexibility, particularly when things go back and you need to make changes on game day.

I don't think utilities help either team or the players themselves.

Really like the kid. Seems like a professional - mature beyond his years, hungry to succeed, forthright and all of those other good words.

Think it's great he's developing his repertoire and provides great pressure for spots on Cox, Reid this year.

Long term as far as list development goes, I see him being the replacement for Lynden Dunn/Ben Reid down back and an honest weapon that can swing forward.

I don't think utilities help either team or the players themselves.

Most players referred to or used as utilities are mediocre talents who haven't been good enough to fully nail down a position. These guys and their movement gives positional flexibility, but they have little impact. But when stars like Hird, Burgoyne and Brendan Goddard have been used as utilities, it's been highly effective. Mid game positional movement often resulted in them being able to sort out areas of weakness on the day and also exploit the oppositions areas of weakness. As well as turning and taking advantage of momentum. Basically, I reckon it takes a star to be effective in the role - and there aren't many stars who you'd use that way.

I'm hearing you in all honesty. Let a player thrive in his natural position. Or if you are going to chop and change him into another position, let them settle.

Darcy is a good example of that in round 1 , we swung him forward after gloating all season he had been training as a backmen

Really like the kid. Seems like a professional - mature beyond his years, hungry to succeed, forthright and all of those other good words.

Think it's great he's developing his repertoire and provides great pressure for spots on Cox, Reid this year.

Long term as far as list development goes, I see him being the replacement for Lynden Dunn/Ben Reid down back and an honest weapon that can swing forward.

The guy is an absolute gem.

2017 , First womens game carlton vs pies we travelled from Bendigo to go see the match. Got to the gates and it was a lockout as we approached the gates.

We parked a few blocks from the ground. So we walked back to our car to head home and as we got to the car park we saw McLarty running out of the car park. We didn't say gday to him , as didn't want to bother him.

My partners a shocker and messaged him on fb of all things and said to him " we unfortunately got to the womens game and It was a lockout and are now heading back to Bendigo , but our highlight of the night was seeing yourself !! (Sam) "

Sam replied saying he was sorry we didn't make it in and he would happily arrange some tickets for us later in the year to attend a game. We never took up the offer as felt it was putting him out and not necessary. But the attitude of a kid that had been drafted within 4 months to the club was sensational. I only wish him the best , I love the way he speaks in the little I have seen of him.

Ah no. As a ruckman, he makes a pretty handy ruck-rover. His ruckwork still has a long way to go. Much like Howard for Port tonight.

I didn't realise we needed to have a genuine back up ruck inside the 22 when really no team in the comp plays that way.
McLarty would generate more than 5 possessions for a game and take more marks than Cox which far more impact than "back up" hitout stats.

Cox needs to start impacting games otherwise he will be left way behind McLarty.

The guy is an absolute gem.
And courageous.
Last week his ear piece became water logged and he removed it.
Apparently he said he didn't know whether he was going back to take a mark or be cleaned up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back