JustInsideFifty

All Australian
Sep 15, 2015
Tas
AFL Club
Collingwood
The decisions I would make:

Out Of Contract 2018
1 Alex Fasolo (Let him go to a WA team and hope for a decent compensation pick)
5 Jamie Elliott (Either 1 year at a reasonable amount to prove himself to be fit or use as trade bait)
6 Tyson Goldsack (1 year at a low salary for leadership and KP depth)
8 Tom Langdon (2 years at avg salary)
11 Jarryd Blair (Let him go)
15 Lynden Dunn (1 year at a low salary for leadership and KP depth)
19 Levi Greenwood (Let him go)
23 Sam McLarty (Couple years at a low salary to develop and prove himself)
24 Josh Thomas (Couple years at avg salary)
26 Josh Daicos (1-2 years at a low salary to prove himself)
27 Kayle Kirby (1 year at a low to see if health issues are long lasting)
29 Tim Broomhead (1 year at a low salary to prove himself)
30 Darcy Moore (Dependant on Lynch's decision)
31 Flynn Appleby (Upgrade to senior list)
32 Will Hoskin-Elliott (Multi-Year at around 400k-500k)
40 Josh Smith (Let him go)
41 Brody Mihocek (Re-rookie for depth)
43 Adam Oxley (Let him go)
44 Jack Madgen (Haven't seen a lot of him but he looks decent enough to give him another chance as a rookie)

JustInsideFifty this is great, thanks for doing that. This is a very useful resourse :thumbsu:

A small formatting tip, if you type ...

[URL='http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-27/fasolo-signs-on-for-another-two-at-pies']1 Alex Fasolo (2018)[/URL]

... it renders as ...

1 Alex Fasolo (2018)

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

Out Of Contract 2018
1 Alex Fasolo (Let him go to a WA team and hope for a decent compensation pick)
5 Jamie Elliott (Either 1 year at a reasonable amount to prove himself to be fit or use as trade bait)
6 Tyson Goldsack (1 year at a low salary for leadership and KP depth)
8 Tom Langdon (2 years at avg salary)
11 Jarryd Blair (Let him go)
15 Lynden Dunn (1 year at a low salary for leadership and KP depth)
19 Levi Greenwood (Let him go)
23 Sam McLarty (Couple years at a low salary to develop and prove himself)
24 Josh Thomas (Couple years at avg salary)
26 Josh Daicos (1-2 years at a low salary to prove himself)
27 Kayle Kirby (1 year at a low to see if health issues are long lasting)
29 Tim Broomhead (1 year at a low salary to prove himself)
30 Darcy Moore (Dependant on Lynch's decision)
31 Flynn Appleby (Upgrade to senior list)
32 Will Hoskin-Elliott (Multi-Year at around 400k-500k)
40 Josh Smith (Let him go)
43 Adam Oxley (Let him go)
44 Jack Madgen (Haven't seen a lot of him but he looks decent enough to give him another chance as a rookie)
These mutliple one year deals are a worse idea than the multiple two year deals the club is currently throwing around.

Why not delist and rookie Broomhead?

Why not seek Goldsack's retirement and employ him elsewhere in the club, either as an assistant or in a role similar to Maxwell?

Why upgrade Appleby but re-rookie Mihocek?

Why seek compensation on Fasolo but not Blair?

Spatfers

All Australian
Mar 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
BMFC

Out Of Contract 2018

If Mihocek plays back this week and is solid, I'd be elevating him to the senior list and telling Reidy to get used to VFL for the 6 weeks he is fit to play a year.

These mutliple one year deals are a worse idea than the multiple two year deals the club is currently throwing around.

Why not delist and rookie Broomhead?

Why not seek Goldsack's retirement and employ him elsewhere in the club, either as an assistant or in a role similar to Maxwell?

Why upgrade Appleby but re-rookie Mihocek?

Why seek compensation on Fasolo but not Blair?
Fair point on Broomhead, I did not think of that. In terms of Goldsack, unless we draft a key defender we need some depth there as apparent now. Fair point again on Appleby and Mihocek. And on the last point, I find it extremely hard to see anyone wanting to pick up Blair in the first place which means we won't receive compensation.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Is there a mechanism where we can commit to re-rookie listing Appleby and Mihocek as they are only one year in, without having them made available to the open draft?

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
Is there a mechanism where we can commit to re-rookie listing Appleby and Mihocek as they are only one year in, without having them made available to the open draft?

You would just simply offer them a contract extension, as you would any other player...?

JustInsideFifty

All Australian
Sep 15, 2015
Tas
AFL Club
Collingwood
What MagpieBat said above... we've already extended Lynch.
I guess it's possible that either/both are looking for a spot on the main list, maybe delaying action here.
Rookies seem to usually be sorted out at EOS anyway.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not considering whether Fasolo and Moore stay or go and assuming Wells sees out his contract rather than retire.

After round 15

Unsigned Seniors out: Kirby, Broomhead, Blair, Smith, Goldsack (50/50)

Seniors in: pick 1, Quaynor, Kelly, Mihocek (upgraded)

Rookies out: Oxley, Mihocek

Rookies in: Hore, rookie 2 (Broomhead, Wellings, Atu B?)

* said with all due respect to players.

Edit: probably keep Goldsack for one more year considering the loss of experience in Dunn being out for a year.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who gets delisted / retire etc?

Suggest pretty straight forward:

Blair
Smith
Oxley

The rest will be on needs basis.

Suspect Fasolo will try elsewhere, and seriously look at Kirby moving out, health issues.

Wills could be traded, same with a few other peripheral types.

Re Broomhead:
I’m a bit different from others, just keep him one more year, won’t be highest money anyway, but not this rookie business. He has another year.
He has talent. Handy depth. Very popular in group. Brody G would be happy.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

Blair
Smith
Oxley

Suspect Fasolo will try elsewhere, and seriously look at Kirby moving out, health issues.

Re Broomhead:
I’m a bit different from others, just keep him one more year, won’t be highest money anyway, but not this rookie business. He has another year.
Wills won't be traded. We need depth in the team.

JustInsideFifty

All Australian
Sep 15, 2015
Tas
AFL Club
Collingwood

Blair
Smith
Oxley

Re Broomhead:

Dunn would be stiff, but reckon there is a fair chance he'll retire and move in to a coaching role. He's 31 and he's probably unlikely to be ready for the start of next year.

Broomhead I think we should keep, but don't mind the idea of getting him on to the rookie list - if we want to promote Appleby and Mihocek we'll need room on the list.

Kirby really depends on his health - would give him a year if we think he'll be right to go next year. Could be a rookie option as well.

Blair, Oxley I think you are right - likely gone.

Smith I think is 50/50 to get another year.

Wills I like, but couldn't blame him for moving on if he gets a better offer.

Fasolo, who knows? Could go either way I think.

Collingwooditis

Debutant
Oct 11, 2007
Sunshine Coast, Qld
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Can go *&@% themselves!
This has got to be mere speculation as we dont know the salaries & therefore the space we have in the cap. It also depends on whether we plan to go after Lynch, and/or May. We should be getting Will Kelly & Quaynor as F/S & Academy picks. Both could be huge players, with huge raps. We also have "unused" guys who could be anything, and add to the 2019 list such as Roop Wills, McLarty, Max Lynch, Madgen, Tyler Brown. we are VERY good a developing young players these days. Remember DeGoeys 2nd year? Bloody awful!

1 Alex Fasolo Still only 25 people! Plenty of footy ahead. He was playing some great games in the twos b4 the injury was a real leader. I yr then 2 same $
5 Jamie Elliott Was a gun when he went down, adds hugely to our goal/mark stocks (goes for Fas too!) 1 or 2 yrs same $
6 Tyson Goldsack Great club man. Playing career best footy when he went down, if HE wants to go on. 1 yr same $ Keep him around!
8 Tom Langdon Has done bloody well this year despite the bashers, a very good mark & integral part of back 6 A small raise in his 3 yr contract
11 Jarryd Blair A Bucks fave despite the constant bagging from Magpie fans. Useful depth player & can kick impossible goals 1 year, might hafta take a small cut
15 Lynden Dunn Absolutely another year if he wants to go on. If not, Keep him at the club, will b a gr8 backs coach 1 yr same $
19 Levi Greenwood A very useful run with, versatile, loves a goal. Ask him what he thinks he can do, wants to do. 3 yr contract w 1 yr opt-out
23 Sam McLarty Project player, going great guns in the Magoos, improved a lot on last year. 2 yr contract Simiar to first
24 Josh Thomas Has taken huge leaps this year, In best 22. 3 year contract extension, 100-150k more.
26 Josh Daicos Coming along nicely after 8, WILL be a gun, All the skills, hard nut, though different to Dad. More like Skipper. 3 year extension, 250->300->400
27 Kayle Kirby Tough one, hard to toss out when he could b very valuable. Had a gr8 season kicking snags in '17, wish I knew more about his cond. Same again.
29 Tim Broomhead Is he still dead keen? Never really showed me enough. May do better elsewhere.
30 Darcy Moore Will be a real gun, Brownlow type flash player. Reminds me of Nick Riewoldt, (not of his Dad at all) Match whatever they offer hope 5-600K
31 Flynn Appleby Will he get back this yr? If long term re-rookie
32 Will Hoskin-Elliott Only 24, taken big strides this year, need this guy, reliable AND X-factor. 3 years 4-500K
40 Josh Smith. What is everyones prob? Look at his numbers! Yes he makes clangs, he's a kid! Try him up front. Same again
41 Brody Mihocek Love what he's done, esp. Pre season. Excellent pack mark, big boy 2 year contract better $
43 Adam Oxley The kid's only 23, great player. Should've got a run, his first games were outstanding, going great in 2's leading backline. Continue what he's on
44 Jack Madgen If you saw him in the pre-season stuff you know why he v. nearly got a run. Tough reliable, good mark 2 years, same $

These all suppose things dont change, if players get a run in the ones & kill 'em, obviously things are different. Late season form makes for great trade bait. It also supposes we DONT win the flag. I believe we will. That changes stuff too. Also, I dont know current salaries & what space we have, as well as how many spots. We WILL be a better side next year, & will have trouble keeping new stars.

My great future worries are the mass changes Gill the Dill wants, & how good the "Generational" kids turn out. The King Bros, Walsh, & especially Jack Lucosiak (a Greening type?). They could conceivably change everything

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
This has got to be mere speculation as we dont know the salaries & therefore the space we have in the cap. It also depends on whether we plan to go after Lynch, and/or May. We should be getting Will Kelly & Quaynor as F/S & Academy picks. Both could be huge players, with huge raps. We also have "unused" guys who could be anything, and add to the 2019 list such as Roop Wills, McLarty, Max Lynch, Madgen, Tyler Brown. we are VERY good a developing young players these days. Remember DeGoeys 2nd year? Bloody awful!

1 Alex Fasolo Still only 25 people! Plenty of footy ahead. He was playing some great games in the twos b4 the injury was a real leader. I yr then 2 same $
5 Jamie Elliott Was a gun when he went down, adds hugely to our goal/mark stocks (goes for Fas too!) 1 or 2 yrs same $
6 Tyson Goldsack Great club man. Playing career best footy when he went down, if HE wants to go on. 1 yr same $ Keep him around!
8 Tom Langdon Has done bloody well this year despite the bashers, a very good mark & integral part of back 6 A small raise in his 3 yr contract
11 Jarryd Blair A Bucks fave despite the constant bagging from Magpie fans. Useful depth player & can kick impossible goals 1 year, might hafta take a small cut
15 Lynden Dunn Absolutely another year if he wants to go on. If not, Keep him at the club, will b a gr8 backs coach 1 yr same $
19 Levi Greenwood A very useful run with, versatile, loves a goal. Ask him what he thinks he can do, wants to do. 3 yr contract w 1 yr opt-out
23 Sam McLarty Project player, going great guns in the Magoos, improved a lot on last year. 2 yr contract Simiar to first
24 Josh Thomas Has taken huge leaps this year, In best 22. 3 year contract extension, 100-150k more.
26 Josh Daicos Coming along nicely after 8, WILL be a gun, All the skills, hard nut, though different to Dad. More like Skipper. 3 year extension, 250->300->400
27 Kayle Kirby Tough one, hard to toss out when he could b very valuable. Had a gr8 season kicking snags in '17, wish I knew more about his cond. Same again.
29 Tim Broomhead Is he still dead keen? Never really showed me enough. May do better elsewhere.
30 Darcy Moore Will be a real gun, Brownlow type flash player. Reminds me of Nick Riewoldt, (not of his Dad at all) Match whatever they offer hope 5-600K
32 Will Hoskin-Elliott Only 24, taken big strides this year, need this guy, reliable AND X-factor. 3 years 4-500K
40 Josh Smith. What is everyones prob? Look at his numbers! Yes he makes clangs, he's a kid! Try him up front. Same again
41 Brody Mihocek Love what he's done, esp. Pre season. Excellent pack mark, big boy 2 year contract better $
43 Adam Oxley The kid's only 23, great player. Should've got a run, his first games were outstanding, going great in 2's leading backline. Continue what he's on
44 Jack Madgen If you saw him in the pre-season stuff you know why he v. nearly got a run. Tough reliable, good mark 2 years, same $

These all suppose things dont change, if players get a run in the ones & kill 'em, obviously things are different. Late season form makes for great trade bait. It also supposes we DONT win the flag. I believe we will. That changes stuff too. Also, I dont know current salaries & what space we have, as well as how many spots. We WILL be a better side next year, & will have trouble keeping new stars.

My great future worries are the mass changes Gill the Dill wants, & how good the "Generational" kids turn out. The King Bros, Walsh, & especially Jack Lucosiak (a Greening type?). They could conceivably change everything
This is some pie in the sky thinking, and I think demonstrates too much of an emotional connection to players. Seriously, Broomhead is the only one you would delist?

Pleasedontfail11

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 racing
Sadly we need to pick up at least 3 players in the ND, which means we have to delist 3 players. Yes we could rerookie a few. For me the following will be gone. Blair, Smith, Kirby and Fasolo off the main list. Oxley off the rookie list. Broomhead, Goldsack and Dunn also a chance to be gone or rerookied.

You want to re-sign every player?

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Player Contract Status
Last Update 17/7/18

1 Alex Fasolo (2018)
2 Jordan de Goey (2020)
3 Daniel Wells (2019)
4 Brodie Grundy (2020)
5 Jamie Elliott (2018)
6 Tyson Goldsack (2018)
7 Adam Treloar (2021)
8 Tom Langdon (2018)
9 Sam Murray (2019)
10 Scott Pendlebury (2020)
11 Jarryd Blair (2018)
12 Matthew Scharenberg (2020)
13 Taylor Adams (2019)
14 James Aish (2020)
15 Lynden Dunn (2018)
16 Chris Mayne (2020)
17 Callum Brown (2020)
18 Travis Varcoe (2019)
19 Levi Greenwood (2018)
20 Ben Reid (2019)
21 Tom Phillips (2019)
22 Steele Sidebottom (2021)
23 Sam McLarty (2018)
24 Josh Thomas (2021)
25 Jack Crisp (2019)
26 Josh Daicos (2018)
27 Kayle Kirby (2018)
28 Nathan Murphy (2020)
29 Tim Broomhead (2018)
30 Darcy Moore (2018)
31 Flynn Appleby (2018)
32 Will Hoskin-Elliott (2018)
33 Rupert Wills (2019)
34 Tyler Brown (2020)
35 Jaidyn Stephenson (2021)
36 Brayden Sier (2019)

37 Brayden Maynard (2020)
38 Jeremy Howe (2021)
39 Ben Crocker (2019)
40 Josh Smith (2018)
41 Brody Mihocek (2018)
43 Adam Oxley (2018)
44 Jack Madgen (2018)
45 Max Lynch (2019)
46 Mason Cox (2020)

Out Of Contract 2018
1 Alex Fasolo
5 Jamie Elliott
6 Tyson Goldsack
8 Tom Langdon
11 Jarryd Blair
15 Lynden Dunn
19 Levi Greenwood
23 Sam McLarty
26 Josh Daicos
27 Kayle Kirby
29 Tim Broomhead
30 Darcy Moore
31 Flynn Appleby
32 Will Hoskin-Elliott
40 Josh Smith
41 Brody Mihocek
43 Adam Oxley
44 Jack Madgen

Great job

Suprised that Appleby, mihochek, magden all only 1 year?

Gonna be interesting

Back