Player development re skills

tales129

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Now I didn’t watch today - the worst part is I didn’t need to!

Campbell Brown was on radio this morning talking about worpel. His co-host watched him in his junior days and said he had the toughness but didn’t have the skills nor the decision making under pressure.

Campbell went on to state the key reason they drafted him was that they noted his toughness and aggression as something that you couldn’t teach, however they taught him to take his decision making and skills under pressure to the next level.

As you can see clearly he is performing at the level now.

Comparatively we have limited blokes like McDonald, turner, clarke et al kicking around who lack composure and ability to develop any form of increase in skill/ability to cope with pressure.

How does a bloke within 10-12 months on another list do this compared to us having to put up with 3-4 years of shit, and does this also showcase how poor our overall coaching/development structures are? Is it also a draft/list management issue or more of a player development problem?

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty good question. You could add mason wood to your list.

On the other hand we have ben brown who along with josh kennedy and luke breust is as accurate as you will get. Its all about nature versus nurture. There is also a saying that goes of you put 10,000 hours into anything you can master it.
Few would really know how our time is divided compared to out competitors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tales129

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t think Worpels skills and composure are near AFL standard yet.
Can find the ball but struggles to use it. We’ll see if the hawks can make him a dependable ball user

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The reference was from where his skill level was last year to where it is now. In the eyes of the commentators it was sub par and is now to a level that is of afl standard. Brown chimed in that at the hawks they were actively taught better decision making.

I’d hardly say that decision making is a strength of our side

Top Bottom