Prediction Player jumper numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I've seen that post so I expect that to happen as well. Call me old fashioned but I actually think the captain should be wearing number 1, but that tradition seems all but dead and buried!

There might still be some players who would shy away from wearing that number, but Stephenson doesn't seem to be the nervous type. Just like Fasolo before him, he doesn't appear to lack self-confidence!
You Sir are going back to when 1 was the captain. Even 2 was the vice captain as I recall Len Thompson in 2.

Once Ray Shaw ascended to the captaincy (late 70s) that was the end of 1 for the captain.
Now that it is 40 years or so I think it’s safe to say it’s dead and not being revived.

Going back 100 years or so we used give numbers in alphabetical order.
Hence Jack Regan is credited with the league record of wearing the most numbers over a league career.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
They've just updated that article BTW, but haven't added anything of real significance. It does say:

Kelly's decision regarding No.23 could allow fellow new recruit Jordan Roughead to continue with the jumper he played 138 games in for the Western Bulldogs, with the ruckman yet to be given a number.

Last year's top Magpie draftee Jaidyn Stephenson will be allocated a new number in the coming weeks.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Can't remember many rookies wearing a number as low as 9 recently..
Nope.
Though Murray is in 9 from being a senior player.
Certainly not for Collingwood. The unfortunate Alex Johnson of Sydney wore #2 in 2018, and that was easily the lowest of any of the 2018 Rookie List players. In Johnson's case he'd had that number for a couple of seasons before being pushed down to the Rookie List.

I've only looked as far back as 2008, but Sharrod Wellingham with 21 that year appears to be the lowest number a Collingwood Rookie List player has had in that time.

Certainly not for Collingwood. The unfortunate Alex Johnson of Sydney wore #2 in 2018, and that was easily the lowest of any of the 2018 Rookie List players. In Johnson's case he'd had that number for a couple of seasons before being pushed down to the Rookie List.

I've only looked as far back as 2008, but Sharrod Wellingham with 21 that year appears to be the lowest number a Collingwood Rookie List player has had in that time.

Adelaide have given #1 to a rookie listed player a couple of times, Luke Thompson and Jono Beech

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Notice the joy in Atu and Isaac.

They will play with joy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had a few others in the 20s, but from memory none lower. An unusual one is cat b rookie Ben Richmond wearing #30.

23 Lachlan Keeffe (ASADA)
24 Josh Thomas (ASADA)
25 Ben Hudson (rookie list)
27 Tony Armstrong (delisted/rookied)
30 Ben Richmond (category b rookie)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've had a few others in the 20s, but from memory none lower. An unusual one is cat b rookie Ben Richmond wearing #30.

24 Josh Thomas (ASADA)

For got Ben Richmond.

I thought of the people’s beard the wonderful Ben Hudson as the lowest rookie number if a player brought in only as a roookie.
And truthfully the people’s beard was de facto senior guy anyway.

But ofcourse you’re right Keeffe wins our lowest rookie number.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

24 Josh Thomas (ASADA)
Yeah, Keeffe was still #23 back in his early days at the club, when he was on the Rookie List (prior to the ban).

I haven't bothered looking from before 2008.

For got Ben Richmond.

I thought of the people’s beard the wonderful Ben Hudson as the lowest rookie number if a player brought in only as a rookie.

While Keeffe wore 23 (and 61) for our VFL team in 2008 prior to being rookie listed he started as an AFL listed player in 44.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

24 Josh Thomas (ASADA)
For got Ben Richmond.

I thought of the people’s beard the wonderful Ben Hudson as the lowest rookie number if a player brought in only as a roookie.

Now I've checked from 1998-2007 inc., and the lowest number given to a R/L player was 32 for Marcus Barham in 1998. I'm not sure about the rookies' numbers from 1997 (first year of the R/L) apart from Mal Michael, but certainly back in those days they weren't given anything at all early. The 1997 AFL Season Guide didn't give the R/L player numbers, and any Football Record (SLV) that I saw for a Collingwood game didn't show those players' numbers either.

Last edited:

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

24 Josh Thomas (ASADA)
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how Ben Richmond scored #30! Of our Cat. B's he made Darrean Wyatt look like a success story in comparison! Perhaps they were expecting something more from him!!

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how Ben Richmond scored #30! Of our Cat. B's he made Darrean Wyatt look like a success story in comparison! Perhaps they were expecting something more from him!!
It's an odd one. There's a few circumstances that may have contributed:
  • No existing players upgraded numbers. The premiership players who did upgrade had already done so.
  • Of those with a number above 30 they were either recent additions in the last year or two or established premiership players.
  • This included three senior listed players with numbers in the forties (Seedsman 40, Gault 44, Williams 46). Seedsman who was recruited in 2010 was the oldest of these.
  • Young (FA), Russell (trade), Lynch (FA) were brought in from other clubs. The latter two took on the number worn at their previous clubs.
  • The four players we drafted all gained numbers around 30 (Kennedy 27, Broomhead 29, Ramsay 31, plus Grundy in the 35 scheme)

In saying that you'd think preference would have gone to a new category a rookie (Martin 37, Dwyer 41, Oxley 43 or Frost 45) for the higher number if no one wanted an upgrade. Afterall all four were mature rookies with Oxley the youngest at 20. Even though he was 2 years away I wonder how much Darcy Moore factored into it. 30 did sit vacant the following season.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It's an odd one. There's a few circumstances that may have contributed:
  • No existing players upgraded numbers. The premiership players who did upgrade had already done so.
  • Of those with a number above 30 they were either recent additions in the last year or two or established premiership players.
  • This included three senior listed players with numbers in the forties (Seedsman 40, Gault 44, Williams 46). Seedsman who was recruited in 2010 was the oldest of these.
  • Young (FA), Russell (trade), Lynch (FA) were brought in from other clubs. The latter two took on the number worn at their previous clubs.
  • The four players we drafted all gained numbers around 30 (Kennedy 27, Broomhead 29, Ramsay 31, plus Grundy in the 35 scheme)

In saying that you'd think preference would have gone to a new category a rookie (Martin 37, Dwyer 41, Oxley 43 or Frost 45) for the higher number if no one wanted an upgrade. Afterall all four were mature rookies with Oxley the youngest at 20. Even though he was 2 years away I wonder how much Darcy Moore factored into it. 30 did sit vacant the following season.
Thanks for the very detailed response! Obviously the number was available, but I checked in case 30 was the no. his father wore (for Richmond, of course!!). It wasn't. Maybe he knew/grew up admiring fellow Tasmanian James Manson, who wore that number for us over many years, and requested it?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back