News Player Leadership Group 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not so sure mate. It's a little hard to be lead by a peer that constantly injured.

And I put a lot of weight into on field leadership.
What material impact do you think it has? His peers voted him there. They know his injury situation.

Guthrie stepping down clearing the decks for a departure at end of season out of contract free agent.BYE BYE.
That's a pretty big jump to make - when Scarlett & Boris stepped down from the leadership group during their playing days did anyone jump to the conclusion they were leaving at seasons end?

That's a pretty big jump to make - when Scarlett & Boris stepped down from the leadership group during their playing days did anyone jump to the conclusion they were leaving at seasons end?
Guthrie is no Scarlo or Boris no matter how much you pump his tyres up here.

Guthrie is no Scarlo or Boris no matter how much you pump his tyres up here.
Not pumping up his tyres at all - just commenting that its a big jump to make from stepping down from the leadership group as meaning he's out of the club.

Hawkins also stepped down this year - should we read more into that?

Guthrie stepping down clearing the decks for a departure at end of season out of contract free agent.BYE BYE.
Facts are he is FA. SO thats accurate.
Him stepping down also a fact.

Him leaving at seasons end.... little short of fact right now.

Id agree that he needs to lift his game however. What wont help him is the fact the the Umps seem red hot on HTB decisions in JLT so far - and given he's had 8 of the 10 worst HTB against last year he's gonna be nervous heading into 2018 for sure.

But id like to see hime get back to putting his head over it a bit more when a ball is in dispute. Early on he did this but last 2 years, and it may be coaching and structures - he IMO has not as much be see ball get ball but reactionary to a ball in dispute.

His decision making also - like Blitz - needs to be see more taking of the first option instead of looking for the best %. Sometimes the first aint he best but it does clear the area.

He's got 26 weeks to figure it out.

GO Catters

How big is theirs?
Last year it was 3:

Captain Cotchin, with Riewoldt & Rance co-vice captains

No announcement for 2018 yet, but last year it was announced less than a week before the start of the season.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they had 18/22 players in their leadership group this year though - this is the team that made life members of all 22 premierships players from last year, including Jack Graham who has only played 5 games

Facts are he is FA. SO thats accurate.
Him stepping down also a fact.

Him leaving at seasons end.... little short of fact right now.

Id agree that he needs to lift his game however. What wont help him is the fact the the Umps seem red hot on HTB decisions in JLT so far - and given he's had 8 of the 10 worst HTB against last year he's gonna be nervous heading into 2018 for sure.

But id like to see hime get back to putting his head over it a bit more when a ball is in dispute. Early on he did this but last 2 years, and it may be coaching and structures - he IMO has not as much be see ball get ball but reactionary to a ball in dispute.

His decision making also - like Blitz - needs to be see more taking of the first option instead of looking for the best %. Sometimes the first aint he best but it does clear the area.

He's got 26 weeks to figure it out.

GO Catters
I think it would also help him if he has something of a more set role for this year.

Last year he had an interrupted last month of the pre-season with a calf (?) injury, and didn't seem to be given the opportunity to get matches under his belt before returning to the senior side. And then once back in he continued to get shifted around to fill in gaps when we were missing other players.

Give him a role to play and let him play that for longer than 1.5/2 games at a time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t think Paddy will get a go next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Joel stood down after this year he might..
If not I reckon they'd promote the younger more long term option. Or maybe co-captains?

Leadership group doesn't need to exist.
You’d think professional athletes should be able to do what’s required without extra motivation from half the team being ‘leaders’.

You’d think professional athletes should be able to do what’s required without extra motivation from half the team being ‘leaders’.

A couple out on the ground that are capable of going to a player and saying mate that was a f--king weak,or I want that commitment every contest that was good.Who has the credentials? Selwood and Taylor that's enough the rest are decorations.

Last edited:
Ultimately footy is about well...footy.
I'd prefer the leaders to be players that manage to get on the field and play consistently week in/week out and do the hard stuff.
As in lead by example with their actions on the field.
Don't have to be good blokes, but have the will to win and do whatever it takes to do it. eg Mitchell, Hodge. Also Scarlett was the most respected player in the team in his time.

Last year it was 3:

Captain Cotchin, with Riewoldt & Rance co-vice captains

No announcement for 2018 yet, but last year it was announced less than a week before the start of the season.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they had 18/22 players in their leadership group this year though - this is the team that made life members of all 22 premierships players from last year, including Jack Graham who has only played 5 games
I'm prepared to have a wager the leadership group remains the same. Three is more than adequate. We can quinella it with Partridge continuing with his critique of our game plan if you like.:)

* I actually enjoy reading his stuff.

The back page of the addy 2 weeks ago quoted him as saying he was already in negotiations to sign a new deal and it was just a matter of when, not if. Loves the club. Not going anywhere.

Hopefully he finds good form this year.

Not particularly happy with the leadership group with the exception of j selwood.

Patrick Dangerfield (vice captain): plays a little selfish (not a bad thing) to be leadership material.

Harry Taylor (deputy vice captain): he has a really feminine walk. Not a fan.

Mark Blicavs: Captain of the vfl?

Mitch Duncan: A grader last year but needs to string another season like his last. Not a bad choice to have in the group

Scott Selwood: struggles to get on the park

Zach Tuohy: suspect under pressure.

I like my leadership to have a little bit of Nasty in it. Our team is lacking an enforcer. Would have preferred to have a forward in that leadership group as well. Not sure who i would pick to be honest. Maybe just Joel, Ablett and Dangerfield as our gameplan will revolve around having the greatest midfield of all time :D:D:D

Not particularly happy with the leadership group with the exception of j selwood.

Patrick Dangerfield (vice captain): plays a little selfish (not a bad thing) to be leadership material.

Harry Taylor (deputy vice captain): he has a really feminine walk. Not a fan.

Mark Blicavs: Captain of the vfl?

Mitch Duncan: A grader last year but needs to string another season like his last. Not a bad choice to have in the group

Scott Selwood: struggles to get on the park

Zach Tuohy: suspect under pressure.

I like my leadership to have a little bit of Nasty in it. Our team is lacking an enforcer. Would have preferred to have a forward in that leadership group as well. Not sure who i would pick to be honest. Maybe just Joel, Ablett and Dangerfield as our gameplan will revolve around having the greatest midfield of all time :D:D:D
Do you like our leaders to be a good height and weight?

Captain and Vice Captain is enough

Players should naturally provide leadership on and off field without the need for a title.
What does it matter to us what the club says is a leadership group? I don't get the angst. It's immaterial.They have roles to play as decided by the club, good luck to them.
I get the message here; will avoid this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back