Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
I just wish North Alives would stop trying to speak for all of us who were watching Port play in the 70s and 80s
I don't speak for anyone but I'll tell ya something Noddy, those old enough to remember watching Port from the 70's and 80's, the 60's, would do well not to dismiss the attitude required to win and be successful as being "old fashioned" and a "different time" because if you and the other old foggies like me are happy with the way we are travelling, then we need to get tested for signs of dementia onset.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thoughtless things that players have often done on the playing field is tolerated and it has evolved into inconsistency rather than excellence. Prior to the AFL and prior to Hinkley's era the coach, the club and players didn't tolerate poor football from individuals. Either the captain would pull them into line, if not the coach, if not the experienced players would. The club was wiser back then. It is so disconnected from the past that it does not recognise why we are so mediocre.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
The thoughtless things that players have often done on the playing field is tolerated and it has evolved into inconsistency rather than excellence. Prior to the AFL and prior to Hinkley's era the coach, the club and players didn't tolerate poor football from individuals. Either the captain would pull them into line, if not the coach, if not the experienced players would. The club was wiser back then. It is so disconnected from the past that it does not recognise why we are so mediocre.
Be careful, Noddy will come gunning for you. But seriously, that's the problem we have. We have disconnected from our roots and ditched the template for success in favour "modern" thinking.

Port were always at the cutting edge of "modernity" and we did that by complimenting the rock solid foundations that our football philosophy was built on and that we added to over generations. We never feared innovation whether it came from us or somewhere else. We learnt and addapted but what we never ever did, was compromise our "non-negotiables" so to speak.

Not only have we jettisoned our intolerance to the "thoughtless things" (beautiful term that) players do on the football field, the only thing we do nowadays is to give lip service to the "great Port Adelaide traditions" and the "Port Adelaide way of doing things" whilst the coaches tolerate "thoughtless things" and whilst the chaps at the top have dismantled and removed Port Adelaide's presence from traditional Port Adelaide areas and removed those people who for generations were Port Adelaide from the Port Adelaide Football Club and you know, I said mama we're all crayzee now.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Apparently GWS are interested in Paddy Ryder.

A 32 year old ruckman is not likely to bring more than a bargain basement price but we should get something. Paddy has been more than useful for us but the end is near so we should entertain any offers.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I feel there is still more than enough hype around Ryder to warrant a good pick. Especially if it is GWS, they have always been known to overpay. Don’t be surprised if we get a late first.

If we got a late first rounder for Ryder (with nothing else in the trade) i would be so surprised that i would fall off my chair and smack my head open knocking me unconscious. At hospital i would wake up and be so surprised again that i would fall off the bed and knock myself unconscious again. Then i would be very sore and forget what happened.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I feel there is still more than enough hype around Ryder to warrant a good pick. Especially if it is GWS, they have always been known to overpay. Don’t be surprised if we get a late first.
Nah no way it will be a late first. We'll get good value, but it will more be along the lines of getting a good player, or upgrading picks etc. But no way do we get anything higher than pick 30 for him by itself.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't speak for anyone but I'll tell ya something Noddy, those old enough to remember watching Port from the 70's and 80's, the 60's, would do well not to dismiss the attitude required to win and be successful as being "old fashioned" and a "different time" because if you and the other old foggies like me are happy with the way we are travelling, then we need to get tested for signs of dementia onset.
You're reading into my comment a lot that isn't there if you think I'm happy with where the club is at. Extremely unhappy with the state of things but directing your ire at the one player from the last decade who has stood up more than any other in big games because he can be lairy and comparing him to a bloke who goes to water in front of goals just about every time is bizarre.
The club is run and coached by frauds. Robbie Gray is one player we've got that deserves better

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nah no way it will be a late first. We'll get good value, but it will more be along the lines of getting a good player, or upgrading picks etc. But no way do we get anything higher than pick 30 for him by itself.
Hamish Macintosh and Shane Mumford both got traded for pics in the 30s when they were 27 and 28 respectively.

That is the max we could hope for given Paddy is better than them but significantly older.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just wish North Alives would stop trying to speak for all of us who were watching Port play in the 70s and 80s

One of his posts was right on the money so I gave it a like, but he has gone off on a bit of a tangent since.

That aside, I can see where the bloke is coming from, and there shouldn't be a genuine Port supporter on the planet who hasn't had a gut full of the dross that has been served up by players, coaches and management alike for the better part of 12 seasons now, some just have different ways of commenting on it.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why? Are your sensibilities being hurt? What was wrong with saying that I reckon this is Robbies best year? This year he hasn't paddled the ball in front of him s**tting himself thinking that some **** was going to take him out - not once has he done that this year. This year he has actually bent his back and picked up the ball and if he cuts out his backyard s**t, he'll be even better!

If you can't handle people getting on here and pointing out things that maybe you haven't seen, then that's your problem. My "relationship" with R.Gray is bitter-sweet, I love him passionately sometimes, I hate his antics with a passion other times but one thing that I have always loved is Port Adelaide and I have every right to tell people what I see on the football field and if it horrifies them that someone has the nerve to say that such and such has this that or the other weekness in their game, then stiff s**t! I'm a Port Adelaide man, not a player "groupie".

Just as others have the right to tell me that they agree or don't agree or are ambivalent towards my observations, so have I the right to express my observations. At the very least I try and sight examples and I'm always willing to engage with those who have a contrary view and put forward examples - evidence to support their views.

havent watched much footy if you think this is robbies best year!

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Na late late second or early third. could be a pick upgrade maybe but thats about it.
Hopefully it means we are keeping ladhams.
id be in ladhams ear, sign with us and we let Paddy walk. meaning you are number 2 in the order and we still think we can play 2 rucking talls

B0ydmental

It used to hurt
Sep 18, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Be careful, Noddy will come gunning for you. But seriously, that's the problem we have. We have disconnected from our roots and ditched the template for success in favour "modern" thinking.

Port were always at the cutting edge of "modernity" and we did that by complimenting the rock solid foundations that our football philosophy was built on and that we added to over generations. We never feared innovation whether it came from us or somewhere else. We learnt and addapted but what we never ever did, was compromise our "non-negotiables" so to speak.

Not only have we jettisoned our intolerance to the "thoughtless things" (beautiful term that) players do on the football field, the only thing we do nowadays is to give lip service to the "great Port Adelaide traditions" and the "Port Adelaide way of doing things" whilst the coaches tolerate "thoughtless things" and whilst the chaps at the top have dismantled and removed Port Adelaide's presence from traditional Port Adelaide areas and removed those people who for generations were Port Adelaide from the Port Adelaide Football Club and you know, I said mama we're all crayzee now.

>We have disconnected from our roots and ditched the template for success in favour "modern" thinking.

I think with a national competition, you bring in players and coaches from interstate and rotate so many in and out, you draft them in you can't develop them from youth that the days of club legacy and history are gone or going .

Sadly the budgets are so high our membership season ticket holding experience has deteriorated to gimmickry, brand, kiss cams and make some NTUA noise to get people to come back and re-sign their membership season tickets with rights to choose 2 directors members on the PAFC Board AFL assigned leadership panel

The club as we knew doesn't exist. We rent their Alberton facilities that has some dustry trophies and a legacy that those still alive who were a part of it don't demand to be emulated because they either don't identify with the Power Franchise Club or for commercial reasons don't want to bite a hand that feeds them

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hamish Macintosh and Shane Mumford both got traded for pics in the 30s when they were 27 and 28 respectively.

That is the max we could hope for given Paddy is better than them but significantly older.
A straight pick is about the worst option of what we'd get for him. We either turn it into a pick upgrade (2nd + Ryder for a late 1st if lucky, more likely 3rd or 4th plus Ryder for an early second) or a 2nd or 3rd round pick + Ryder for a good player back.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
So I had a thought but it could be the alcohol talking.

What if we make all of our players who reach the father son threshold donate sperm? Technically all the kids they produce would be eligible for us right? Surely there would be a lot of women keen for AFL pedigree sperm even if they dont get to experience the fun part with it.

Also we could seek out Amazonian women to create our own breeding program to produce a new breed of super AFL players that we can draft on the cheap.

mynameissilver

All Australian
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So I had a thought but it could be the alcohol talking.

What if we make all of our players who reach the father son threshold donate sperm? Technically all the kids they produce would be eligable for us right? Surely there would be a lot of women keen for AFL pedigree sperm even if they dont get the fun part with it.

Also we could seek out amazonian women to create our own breeding program to produce a new breed of super AFL players that we can draft on the cheap.
Keep drinking.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apparently GWS are interested in Paddy Ryder.

A 32 year old ruckman is not likely to bring more than a bargain basement price but we should get something. Paddy has been more than useful for us but the end is near so we should entertain any offers.
They are in Premiership mode and he could be the Now missing piece. Should be worth something just for that.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The good old "That's not how we do things here" from the senior player. Back when they showed the way, they we're still in the team because they always did their job so you better believe as a younger guy coming in that when it was your turn to put your head over the ball and take a hit if you didn't you wouldn't have any respect from them and your spot in the team was in peril.

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They are in Premiership mode and he could be the Now missing piece. Should be worth something just for that.
Impossible to play hardball with a player we dont really want. If we did we would offer him the 2 years. Something GWS is prepared to do. We have to be prepared to accept whatever they offer otherwise he will just demand 2 years in his contract when drafted and GWS will get him there. Talk of a first rounder is absurd. Unless GWS have a stack of picks at next years draft they dont intend on using, it will be third rounder at best.

hahaha

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The good old "That's not how we do things here" from the senior player. Back when they showed the way, they we're still in the team because they always did their job so you better believe as a younger guy coming in that when it was your turn to put your head over the ball and take a hit if you didn't you wouldn't have any respect from them and your spot in the team was in peril.

I still believe that the selfless attitude can be cultivated into the players and the typical Port behaviours can be exhibited on the playing field but it won't happen whilst the leadership personnel at the club only read the Creed like a novel rather than manage the club by it like a vade mecum. The Chairman, the Directors, the CEO, the Operations Manager the coach etc … each need to have the right character and the right DNA to keep all at the cub enlightened of the cause. Unfortunately obtaining the wise people that the club needs is likely to only happen by luck. This is because of two main problems of the club:

1. The club allowed the science of AFL football to excuse it from managing itself by the Creed
2. A generation of disconnect has past by and there are no longer wise leaders sailing the ship

When people ask what does this club stand for? In my view it stands for 'compromise'.
The club has dollied up these compromises and sold it to us like a product, and we've bought into some of it, and it has escalated.
If there has been one constant behaviour of our club since the beginning of our AFL journey, it is 'compromise', in my view.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Under the current admin I doubt we will ever again do a simple straight swap trade. Bad enough mugs like us judge them on other observable bench marks like the ladder.

It will be Ryder to GWS in complicated pick swap valuing him somewhere around a future 4th round pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back