List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrChow

All Australian
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don’t agree we had a premiership winning list in the Hinkley era. We played well in the Pre-lim year, because we had a game plan of run and gun, that no other clubs had worked out yet. The players also had a belief that they were fitter than other teams.

the next year clubs worked us out. Western Bulldogs copied Our game plan and made it better ultimately winning a flag.

Our leadership has been suspect, our recruiting was average between The Boak and Wingard era. And many players failed like Hartlett who needed to become an elite mid.

we have had many games where if our leadership was good (irrespective of Ken) where we would have won games. We probably would have played finals most years.

many of our older players come from a losing culture and they can’t shake it. We r obviously rebuilding, and I prefer that at least the likes of Rozee, DBJ, Houston, etc know how to win 50% of the time, not like the older players.

Hinkley, I don’t mind, but his selection has been suspect, and I question whether he is inspiring the players as he did in the early years.

I do think Hinkley, KT and the recruiting team are building a team for the future, and although it is a bit painful, I’m ok where their club is heading...

Tibbs

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don’t agree we had a premiership winning list in the Hinkley era. We played well in the Pre-lim year, because we had a game plan of run and gun, that no other clubs had worked out yet. The players also had a belief that they were fitter than other teams.

the next year clubs worked us out. Western Bulldogs copied Our game plan and made it better ultimately winning a flag.

Our leadership has been suspect, our recruiting was average between The Boak and Wingard era. And many players failed like Hartlett who needed to become an elite mid.

we have had many games where if our leadership was good (irrespective of Ken) where we would have won games. We probably would have played finals most years.

many of our older players come from a losing culture and they can’t shake it. We r obviously rebuilding, and I prefer that at least the likes of Rozee, DBJ, Houston, etc know how to win 50% of the time, not like the older players.

Hinkley, I don’t mind, but his selection has been suspect, and I question whether he is inspiring the players as he did in the early years.

I do think Hinkley, KT and the recruiting team are building a team for the future, and although it is a bit painful, I’m ok where their club is heading...
Our list has been better than a few of the premiership teams' list in Hinkleys time, certainly the Bulldogs. The reasons we couldn't take the opportunity are as you subsequently describe...
Poor Leadership
Poor coaching
Poor selection policy
Poor game plan
Poor culture
And more

Interstater

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2015
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They have a bucket load of good players! But looking at the demographics, it's not too dissimilar IMO. They have more prime players, 17 vs 13, and they are of much better class. But Port has got more next-tier players, and some serious class in our younger players.

PORT:
7 "Older" players born before 1991 ...

Boak - A
Gray - A
Ebert - B - (injuries)
Hartlett - B - (injuries)
Rockliff - B
Dixon - B
Westhoff - C+ (inconsistency)
(GWS... 5)

13 "prime" players born '91-'97...

Lycett - B
Wines - C+ (disposal)
Jonas - B-
Watts - C+
Clurey - A
Motlop - C
DBJ - B
Amon - B-
Mayes - C
Burton - B+
McKenzie - B-
Sutcliffe - B-
Lienert - C+
(GWS...17)

11 Next tier of players born '98-'99

Houston - A-
Bonner - C+
SPP - C+
Marshall - B-
Ladhams - B
Hayes - B
Garner - B+
Drew - B
Farrell - B
Atley - B-
Patmore - ?
(GWS...7)

12 Younger players born '00-'01

Rozee - A
Duursma - A
Butters - B+
Woodcock - C
Cox - B-
Grundy - C
Frederick - C+
PLUS 5 new recruits
(GWS...11)
My concern is the lack of prime A graders coming through in the next 5 years.
Lets please not haggle about my rankings, I know they are very subjective.

Tibbs

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My concern is the lack of prime A graders coming through in the next 5 years.
Lets please not haggle about my rankings, I know they are very subjective.
Sure. And I agree, you need at least 5 elite (A grade) players to be on the mix. Forget our older guys, they will be gone soon. We really need some of our mid group to step up into the elite bracket. Otherwise it all hinges on the young guys and latest draftees to produce them all, which is years away.

So there is heaps of potential, but right now full of holes!

Tredrea_Wanganeen_Gray

Premium Gold
Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our biggest issue on the playing field has been composure, you could argue composure from our senior players and leaders.

rhats the difference between winning and losing the close games. We need more players steady and confident under pressure. Keep moving on those who ain’t.
Wines in the showdown last year to ice the game from 20m out but decides to kick around the corner to skew it on a right angle comes to mind.

TeeKray

Mar 1, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sure. And I agree, you need at least 5 elite (A grade) players to be on the mix. Forget our older guys, they will be gone soon. We really need some of our mid group to step up into the elite bracket. Otherwise it all hinges on the young guys and latest draftees to produce them all, which is years away.

So there is heaps of potential, but right now full of holes!
The problem is that we've traded out all of our mid tier group who had potential to be A grade players for us - Wingard, Polec, Wines (next year presumably). This means that we're relying on the much younger group including Houston, Rozee, Butters, Duursma to develop into A graders, and that could take some time.

Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The problem is that we've traded out all of our mid tier group who had potential to be A grade players for us - Wingard, Polec, Wines (next year presumably). This means that we're relying on the much younger group including Houston, Rozee, Butters, Duursma to develop into A graders, and that could take some time.
Dont give up on Wines just yet. A lot can change in a year and if he can put together a career best year I'm not sure he'll want to disrupt that by moving clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

malcolm

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
holden hill
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
liverpool
Copied from the main board - our oldies and youngies who could replace them:

Westhoff 33.2, Gray 31.9, Boak 31.5, Rockliff 29.10, Ebert 29.8, Harlett 29.4, Dixon 29.3

Butters 19.3, Duursma 19.5, Rozee 19.11, Farrell 20.9, Marshall 21.2, Drew 21.2, Ladhams 21.11, Powell-Pepper 21.11, Houston 22.6, Bonner 22.9, Burton 22.10

Plus 2019 draft

Mead
Bergman
Williams
Georgiades
Burgoyne
Pasini

Top Bottom