List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yay Ports open to trading Bonner!

"Club very interested in Riley Bonner. Contracted for one more year - but Port open to a move." C4 Re Carlton
With Jones coming in and Bergman getting closer it's hard to see where Bonner fits any more.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I would not be keen to trade bonner. A mid draft pick in a draft loaded with ngas and f/s that is going to be pushed out with what looks to be a lot of compo picks in a draft we’re not likely to take anyone in?

unless it bonner out - first 22 player in or 2021 draft pick then I would rather keep him.

There should be no scenario where we end up keeping Bonner.

Second rounder seems fair trade deal.

As in we give them the second rounder to take him off our hands?

I would not be keen to trade bonner. A mid draft pick in a draft loaded with ngas and f/s that is going to be pushed out with what looks to be a lot of compo picks in a draft we’re not likely to take anyone in?

unless it bonner out - first 22 player in or 2021 draft pick then I would rather keep him.

Like Sam Gray last year, I'd happily trade Bonner for a half-eaten sandwich. The appeal of trading Bonner is not having Bonner on our list anymore. If we happened to get something thrown in on top, that's just a nice bonus.

Bonner out, Graham in?

Perhaps I’m the only one who reckons that bonner has improved this year. Coming into the year but also during it.

His ability to get to contests is probably in the top couple on our list. His kicking has been great. Ironed out those pittard bombscare moments. Massive step forward in that regard.

His downside is the occasional lack of competitiveness which he’s improved this year. Really it seems to come down to the fact he seems to lack the concentration to go at 100% for 4 qtrs but I think that has improved as the year has gone on.

I’ve had no issue in dropping him this year, it should do him good to know he needs to still work on stuff.

that he cops flack for being soft when he gets to 100 contests and fails miserably on 2 of them while a bloke like lienert escapes the same criticism for watching 100 contests and going in to compete in 2 of them amuses me.

His archetype is notoriously hard to find and often suffer the same faults as bonner.

Who are the line breaking run and carry long kicking defenders who are tough reliable defenders? That’s a pretty short list. Most of the leagues running defenders are saad, johannisen types.

bonner isn’t perfect but with where we are at there’s plenty of room on our list his type.

having said that if we traded him for another young possible first 22 player I would be okay with it. Ie hately, perryman, gould, zerk-thatcher etc.

But any mid draft pick this year realistically isn’t going to give us much return, unless we can bundle it up into a first rounder.
I have no issue with him having to fight with Bergman and jones for a spot next year. Gives us depth, and I think they are different players. Also we’re going to need someone to take burtons spot when he gets injured and I like the idea of pasini and bonner both being there for that.

having said that I’m open to trading bonner if it gets us something promising. I just don’t think something like pick 40 in this draft which will be out to like 50 after compo and stuff is worth ditching him for.

Perhaps I’m the only one who reckons that bonner has improved this year. Coming into the year but also during it.

His ability to get to contests is probably in the top couple on our list. His kicking has been great. Ironed out those pittard bombscare moments. Massive step forward in that regard.

His downside is the occasional lack of competitiveness which he’s improved this year. Really it seems to come down to the fact he seems to lack the concentration to go at 100% for 4 qtrs but I think that has improved as the year has gone on.

I’ve had no issue in dropping him this year, it should do him good to know he needs to still work on stuff.

that he cops flack for being soft when he gets to 100 contests and fails miserably on 2 of them while a bloke like lienert escapes the same criticism for watching 100 contests and going in to compete in 2 of them amuses me.

His archetype is notoriously hard to find and often suffer the same faults as bonner.

Who are the line breaking run and carry long kicking defenders who are tough reliable defenders? That’s a pretty short list. Most of the leagues running defenders are saad, johannisen types.

bonner isn’t perfect but with where we are at there’s plenty of room on our list his type.

having said that if we traded him for another young possible first 22 player I would be okay with it. Ie hately, perryman, gould, zerk-thatcher etc.

But any mid draft pick this year realistically isn’t going to give us much return, unless we can bundle it up into a first rounder.
I have no issue with him having to fight with Bergman and jones for a spot next year. Gives us depth, and I think they are different players. Also we’re going to need someone to take burtons spot when he gets injured and I like the idea of pasini and bonner both being there for that.

having said that I’m open to trading bonner if it gets us something promising. I just don’t think something like pick 40 in this draft which will be out to like 50 after compo and stuff is worth ditching him for.

SA Players likely to be available around pick 40.

Baldwin 25-40
Dumesny 25-40
Durdin 30-50
Pedlar 40-60
Newchurch 40-60
Borlase 40-60
Schofield 40-60

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look Bonner has played for Port Adelaide and has a lovely leg with great vision most of the time when in space and can break lines so I will love and respect the guy.

But I can't think of too many Port players in the recent past that I would trust less to halve a contest, not win it but actually not lose it than Bonner.

if we aren't running around the room quoting that ikea ad and starting cars then I have been staring at my navel for 40 years rather than watching foosball ( which is entirely possible by the way).

You obviously have a bit of a soft spot for him because you are giving his contested game way too much credit. We're all watching the same games but sometimes have a preconceived view. I've tried to give Bonner a go and support him but his contested game is POO. Ken obviously likes him and he obviously positions himself the way the coaches want him to for the exit kicks but I don't think this makes up for his laziness at the contest. Especially when we have plenty of other options.

You obviously have a bit of a soft spot for him because you are giving his contested game way too much credit. We're all watching the same games but sometimes have a preconceived view. I've tried to give Bonner a go and support him but his contested game is POO. Ken obviously likes him and he obviously positions himself the way the coaches want him to for the exit kicks but I don't think this makes up for his laziness at the contest. Especially when we have plenty of other options.
No soft spot, just an analytical eye. I’ve called for bonner to be dropped before after games. Actually probably during games too lol.

as I’ve raised the comparison before, lienert just doesn’t even crack in to 1/100th the contests bonner does. Lienert knows his limits and he will only go in when he is sure. Bonner isn’t lazy, he’s getting to contests at a very high rate. He covers ground very well. Just doesn’t know his limits and when he gets into contests sometimes, maybe too often fails to really impact them say like Hartlett or Dbj might. The irony is that if bonner skated around not trying he would escape a fair bit of the criticism he gets.

I’m okay with bonner getting dropped and sent back to keep working on what he can do better, but he’s too valuable to give up for zero return.

Perhaps I’m the only one who reckons that bonner has improved this year.

I'd wager you are. I actually really liked him when he started out but I feel like he's been regressing ever since his first full season, particularly this year.

If we gained Perryman and lost Bonner and Lienert that would be fine by me.

With a full list - Having one spot open for a young player is a good move. Bergman or Jones (maybe Mead) over the next two years - great. Hartlett ain’t getting any younger.

I’d like to see this in the forwardline too, with Gray, Ebert and Motlop getting older. Woodcock and Williams atm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

his workrate has skyrocketed since his first year. He’s cleaned up some of those occasional howler kicks as well.

He had two out on the fulls under little pressure literally last week m8

We're all watching the same games but sometimes have a preconceived view.

This is exactly how I feel about the Bonner detractors.

He had two out on the fulls under little pressure literally last week m8

Except for last week

lol

But generally his kicking has improved. He’s fairly safe and often creative.

I conceded from the start he ain’t perfect, and I’ve got no problem with dropping him when he has a bad game but he’s not anywhere near as bad as this board makes out. I also wouldn’t ditch him unless I’m getting a first 22 player in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back