List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we're chasing a premiership and every little bit counts, 'yeah we are prone to taller forwards taking advantage of us at times' isn't something you can just gloss over.

That we are even considering “chasing a premiership” has nothing to do with the league best defense we fielded this year?

Everyone’s so focused on the upside of having this supposed amazing tall defender they’re glossing over the fact we fielded the best defense and that the reward of having a mobile intercepting quicker smaller defense this year far outweighed the negative of exposure to taller forwards.

That exposure didn’t cost us a grand final berth whatsoever this year by the way.... A slow midfield did.

That we are even considering “chasing a premiership” has nothing to do with the league best defense we fielded this year?

Everyone’s so focused on the upside of having this supposed amazing tall defender they’re glossing over the fact we fielded the best defense and that the reward of having a mobile intercepting quicker smaller defense this year far outweighed the negative of exposure to taller forwards.

That exposure didn’t cost us a grand final berth whatsoever this year by the way.... A slow midfield did.
100% agree.

Unless we can pick up a circa 200cm mobile defender that is good enough to slot straight in & replace any of the current lads. They dont grow on trees, and as mentioned, we already had the best defence in the league. One extra tall doesnt necessarily mean better.

Our talls were without a doubt the best performed defense in the league this season.

Yeah we are prone to taller forwards taking advantage of us at times but overall the positives far outweighed the negatives.

We are not upgrading our best 3 talls imo.

We’ve got pasini and lienert as depth, which is very shallow.

Imo we hit the draft. There’s a few under 23 mature age defenders around the leagues that I think are worth a shot over a player like durdin who has had years to make it and hasn’t.

Collins turned out ok as a mature aged defender, so there are potentially cheap options out there.

Yeah we are prone to taller forwards taking advantage of us at times but overall the positives far outweighed the negatives.
We should have played Jonas on Dusty when he rested up forward not DBJ. Jonas has taken Dusty before plus the other big bodied mids when they rest up forward like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Mundy, Bontempelli etc. He can handle their strength and explosive pace over a short distance.

The fact we were so worried about Lynch and Riewoldt meant he positioned himself to be 3rd man up most times so he couldn't play on Dusty. DBJ on Dusty was poor. We should have given the job to Burton if we were too scared to give it to Jonas. Dusty didn't smash us, despite the CD stats, but he kicked 2 goals in a 6 goal game, it made a difference.

That is the downside of a short KPD backline. There are consequences to how we use our best defenders.

We should have played Jonas on Dusty when he rested up forward not DBJ. Jonas has taken Dusty before plus the other big bodied mids when they rest up forward like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Mundy, Bontempelli etc. He can handle their strength and explosive pace over a short distance.

The fact we were so worried about Lynch and Riewoldt meant he positioned himself to be 3rd man up most times so he couldn't play on Dusty. DBJ on Dusty was poor. We should have given the job to Burton if we were too scared to give it to Jonas. Dusty didn't smash us, despite the CD stats, but he kicked 2 goals in a 6 goal game, it made a difference.

That is the downside of a short KPD backline. There are consequences to how we use our best defenders.

Dare I say though even with a non midget backline I think the strategy would have been the same. Get the third man in on the big blokes and trust our All Australian HBF to break even with Dusty.

In hindsight I would have preferred Burton as 3rd man in the contest with Jonas on Martin.

When we're chasing a premiership and every little bit counts, 'yeah we are prone to taller forwards taking advantage of us at times' isn't something you can just gloss over.
particularly when every other top five side has good ones

The backline was unbalanced again with the injury to Burton. Also DBJ wasn't on Martin when he kicked his first goal, he was picking up Prestia.

Jonas was on Dusty in the last quarter when he went forward and couldn't keep up with him.

Ifs, buts and maybes. They were a little more composed and cleaner when it mattered. We fought them to a standstill and now we have to find the improvement needed to reverse the result in another hard fought contest.

Sam McClure

@sam_mcclure

Jeremy Cameron is leaving GWS.

The backline was unbalanced again with the injury to Burton. Also DBJ wasn't on Martin when he kicked his first goal, he was picking up Prestia.

Jonas was on Dusty in the last quarter when he went forward and couldn't keep up with him.

Ifs, buts and maybes. They were a little more composed and cleaner when it mattered. We fought them to a standstill and now we have to find the improvement needed to reverse the result in another hard fought contest.

I hope we do loads of goal kicking practice...

Sam McClure
@sam_mcclure

Jeremy Cameron is leaving GWS.

If Cameron wants to go to Geelong or Collingwood then Port have the salary cap space to winkle a player from them (Treloar?)

It's not like Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie are speed demons themselves, is it? We lose nothing in mobility by subbing in a Robbie Tarrant type for one of them (obviously it wouldn't be Jonas, but he'd be a clear upgrade on either of the other two). Tarrant also had very similar intercept numbers to Clurey and McKenzie. He'd do fine at Port.

I understand the system argument, but there are other guys out there who would also fit our system while at the same time just being better footballers. This is the elite level. Nothing is ever 'good enough' that you should stop trying to improve on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we do loads of goal kicking practice...

We kicked 6.4 and they kicked 6.10. In the final against Geelong we kicked 9.4 to 5.12. At least we were accurate in finals (although Boak's and Burton's misses stung, they missed a few too)

Some new kick in strategies might be handy although the conditions didn't lend themselves to anything fancy.

It's not like Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie are speed demons themselves, is it? We lose nothing in mobility by subbing in a Robbie Tarrant type for one of them (obviously it wouldn't be Jonas, but he'd be a clear upgrade on either of the other two). Tarrant also had very similar intercept numbers to Clurey and McKenzie. He'd do fine at Port.

I understand the system argument, but there are other guys out there who would also fit our system while at the same time just being better footballers. This is the elite level. Nothing is ever 'good enough' that you should stop trying to improve on it.

McKenzie clocked one of the fastest sprint times in game this season for any player.

I’m not strictly against bringing a guy like Tarrant in, but I think there’s massive underrating of our defenders going on and little thought into the consequences.

If you’re bringing in Tarrant to replace clurey, just trade clurey. There’s too much risk if he’s playing magpies next year he’s asking to leave or going backwards in his development. Then come 2022 our entire backline looks like the cast of Cocoon.

I don’t want a clubs reject like durdin either

We always whinge about other clubs unearthing ready made key defenders from state leagues, why not take a punt on one this year?

Last edited:
We kicked 6.4 and they kicked 6.10. In the final against Geelong we kicked 9.4 to 5.12. At least we were accurate in finals (although Boak's and Burton's misses stung, they missed a few too)

Some new kick in strategies might be handy although the conditions didn't lend themselves to anything fancy.

I feel like through the year we miss lots of simple 35m in front opportunities.

McKenzie clocked one of the fastest sprint times in game this season for any player.

I’m not strictly against bringing a guy like Tarrant in, but I think there’s massive underrating of our defenders going on and little thought into the consequences.

If you’re bringing in Tarrant to replace clurey, just trade clurey. There’s too much risk if he’s playing magpies next year he’s asking to leave or going backwards in his development. Then come 2022 our entire backline looks like the cast of Cocoon.

I don’t want a clubs reject like durdin either

We always whinge about other clubs unearthing ready made key defenders from state leagues, why not take a punt on one this year?

Fahey-Sparkes would be my choice as a potential state league player that could be trialled either as a key forward or defender. Im gonna keep throwing his name out there.

So who are port spending the 850k thatisnt being used in salary cap on?
Well Essendope have a "war chest" to go hunting players such as Dunkley.
Geelong are linked to four big name recruits.
Tigers after a few.
Wobblers trying for Merrett.
GWS if they lose Cameron will go hunting.
Lions have locked in Daniher and looking for an elite mid.
Port - going big time with Oraaaaazioooo.
🥴

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back