List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add S. Gray to the trade list. And I wouldn't be too upset if Hoff retired so we don't have all our senior players go a short space of time.

For my controversial call I'd be putting Ebert on the trade blocks. If two things epitomise the problems we've had it's playing too short and s**thouse disposal. The first can be rectified by selections and actually playing KPF's. The second by moving on senior players who kick like Stormtroopers shoot. And Ebert is the poster boy for that.
Ebert. Are you kidding

Add S. Gray to the trade list. And I wouldn't be too upset if Hoff retired so we don't have all our senior players go a short space of time.

For my controversial call I'd be putting Ebert on the trade blocks. If two things epitomise the problems we've had it's playing too short and s**thouse disposal. The first can be rectified by selections and actually playing KPF's. The second by moving on senior players who kick like Stormtroopers shoot. And Ebert is the poster boy for that.
I don’t think we can trade Ebert the person, as much as I wish we could trade Ebert the player.

Are we going to trade for the next decade, two decades? Why do you trade? Answer: to strengthen your team to win a Premiership therefore, the time must come when you say right, we've got a squad that can win us a Premiership and for me, we've got a squad capable of winning a Premiership now.

The problem is, we don't have the massive support and wealth of experience left at our club any longer so this group of players, must do it on their own and going by what we have seen this year and over the last few years, they are incapable of succeeding whilst those at the top of the so called football department remain in place.

The example of gross stupidity was the coaches ranting about how we were going to target this player or that and there was no-one at the club that said, "shut you f****ng gob!" What we do and who we target is not a matter for public disclosure! We have always targeted opponents as a collective, that is, the whole fu****g lot of them and if anyone was to be targeted for extra grief, then that is a confidential matter between the coach and the players and to really ram home how incompetent we have become as a football club, there is talk that Sam Gray will be put up for trade bait and not given a new contract.

This fella epitomises everything that is Port Adelaide, or should I say was Port Adelaide in that he never, ever goes missing and when the going is ferocious, he gets even more ferocious and backs it up with tackles, kicking goals that must be kicked, marks when he must mark, runs and runs and runs and supports, bends his back, gets his head knocked off and doesn't fling his arms out looking for a free or begging the umpires to give a free kick to one of his team mates whilst loitering outside the contest - he puts his head over the ball and he is carrying on the fine traditions of Port Adelaide small men over the generations. In a grand final, he's one who you can rely on and when the right things need to be done at crucial moments, then he'll do them and with a club bereft of Port spirit, we are going to f**k him off?

Bonner won't win you a grand final and neither will Burton and Butters is a show pony, just like his hero R. Gray who flatters to deceive and Butters will never improve until someone takes him aside and tells him the Aussie Rules is not circus tricks and whilst jokers keep eulogising R. Gray as God's gift to footballers, we won't get anywhere near a flag. In that first half yesterday, R. Gray was bull s**t as were a s**t load of "senior" players except for S. Gray who backed up his brilliant performance against the cows with another brilliant performance yesterday in the true Port Adelaide tradition and we insult his Port Adelaide spirit by not even giving him a contract, or so it seems.

We have too many fashionistas at our club that wouldn't know a good footballer from a bad one and who have forgotten or have never known what a true Port Adelaide footballer is. We have f**k wits who let the ball go over their heads when they can mark it so they can double back and collect it to show how clever they are and they are lauded when they should be dragged and we've got young fellas trying to imitate that type of garbage and that seems to be fine with the coaches and some of the fashion conscious fans who will never see a flag whilst they and the weak coaches and hierarchy are in the ascendancy.

I hated what Hinkley at el did leading up to the game but I hated even more the unprofessional and unPort Adelaide manner in which the players presented themselves to that game. A true Port man doesn't need some smarmy coach or other to tell him that they are playing in a vital match - that's a personal thing for the player but we have far too many players who don't have enough regard for the guernsey nor pride in their own game to prepare and show up and play dinkum, Port Adelaide football but unfortunately, that type of all show-no-go crap is now our "culture" and it's heartbreaking and no amount of trading in and out is going to fix it.

And to really ram home how incompetent we have become as a football club, there is talk that Sam Gray will be put up for trade bait and not given a new contract.

This fella epitomises everything that is Port Adelaide, or should I say was Port Adelaide in that he never, ever goes missing and when the going is ferocious, he gets even more ferocious and backs it up with tackles, kicking goals that must be kicked, marks when he must mark, runs and runs and runs and supports, bends his back, gets his head knocked off and doesn't fling his arms out looking for a free or begging the umpires to give a free kick to one of his team mates whilst loitering outside the contest - he puts his head over the ball and he is carrying on the fine traditions of Port Adelaide small men over the generations. In a grand final, he's one who you can rely on and when the right things need to be done at crucial moments, then he'll do them and with a club bereft of Port spirit, we are going to f**k him off?

Bonner won't win you a grand final and neither will Burton and Butters is a show pony, just like his hero R. Gray who flatters to deceive and Butters will never improve until someone takes him aside and tells him the Aussie Rules is not circus tricks and whilst jokers keep eulogising R. Gray as God's gift to footballers, we won't get anywhere near a flag. In that first half yesterday, R. Gray was bull s**t as were a s**t load of "senior" players except for S. Gray who backed up his brilliant performance against the cows with another brilliant performance yesterday in the true Port Adelaide tradition and we insult his Port Adelaide spirit by not even giving him a contract, or so it seems.

Sam grays mum wouldn’t be this flattering of Sam Gray

Never ever goes missing? Carn. It’s literally what he is known for.

Knocking Robbie gray and burton who are 100x the footballers Sam is while talking up Sam like he’s a legend. * me.

Are we going to trade for the next decade, two decades? Why do you trade? Answer: to strengthen your team to win a Premiership therefore, the time must come when you say right, we've got a squad that can win us a Premiership and for me, we've got a squad capable of winning a Premiership now.

The problem is, we don't have the massive support and wealth of experience left at our club any longer so this group of players, must do it on their own and going by what we have seen this year and over the last few years, they are incapable of succeeding whilst those at the top of the so called football department remain in place.

The example of gross stupidity was the coaches ranting about how we were going to target this player or that and there was no-one at the club that said, "shut you f****ng gob!" What we do and who we target is not a matter for public disclosure! We have always targeted opponents as a collective, that is, the whole fu****g lot of them and if anyone was to be targeted for extra grief, then that is a confidential matter between the coach and the players and to really ram home how incompetent we have become as a football club, there is talk that Sam Gray will be put up for trade bait and not given a new contract.

We have too many fashionistas at our club that wouldn't know a good footballer from a bad one and who have forgotten or have never known what a true Port Adelaide footballer is. We have f**k wits who let the ball go over their heads when they can mark it so they can double back and collect it to show how clever they are and they are lauded when they should be dragged and we've got young fellas trying to imitate that type of garbage and that seems to be fine with the coaches and some of the fashion conscious fans who will never see a flag whilst they and the weak coaches and hierarchy are in the ascendancy.

I hated what Hinkley at el did leading up to the game but I hated even more the unprofessional and unPort Adelaide manner in which the players presented themselves to that game. A true Port man doesn't need some smarmy coach or other to tell him that they are playing in a vital match - that's a personal thing for the player but we have far too many players who don't have enough regard for the guernsey nor pride in their own game to prepare and show up and play dinkum, Port Adelaide football but unfortunately, that type of all show-no-go crap is now our "culture" and it's heartbreaking and no amount of trading in and out is going to fix it.

going missing is his biggest knock!
Sam is a good at best honest footballer. plays well against the poor sides or when we are going good and goes missing when we need players to stand up.
right now he has some currency, perfect time to trade him and get some games into farrell, woodcock or better yet another tall.

The example of gross stupidity was the coaches ranting about how we were going to target this player or that and there was no-one at the club that said, "shut you f****ng gob!" What we do and who we target is not a matter for public disclosure! We have always targeted opponents as a collective, that is, the whole fu****g lot of them and if anyone was to be targeted for extra grief, then that is a confidential matter between the coach and the players

Could not agree any more with all of this.

Northalives said:
and to really ram home how incompetent we have become as a football club, there is talk that Sam Gray will be put up for trade bait and not given a new contract.

Could not disagree any more with all of this. You started off so well.

I love your passion Northa but you lost me at "kicking goals that need to be kicked".

Yes Sam Gray is Port Adelaide to the core but in the old days he would have been an excellent, loyal reserves player who could plug a hole when required and do all the 1%ers. We used to have plenty of those that bled for the club but just didn't quite have the size or skill to make it into the first 22 permanently.

If Port picked him like that and he was happy to be paid like that he would probably be all of our favourite players.

I’m an unashamed Sam Gray fan but unfortunately his biggest flaw is his consistency.
I doubt anyone here would question his effort or commitment to the club. He is a smart natural footballer and in my opinion has improved but to say he never goes missing or kicking goals when they need to be kicked is just wishful thinking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where is that from Zakk? do they have more than Port players?

I have been thinking of getting those AFL Player Ranking graphs Champion Data put out after every game and cutting and pasting a few players rankings for wins and losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is that from Zakk? do they have more than Port players?

I have been thinking of getting those AFL Player Ranking graphs Champion Data put out after every game and cutting and pasting a few players rankings for wins and losses.

One of the footy shows last night. I'm not sure which one??

I thought Sam was only good against s**t teams......

Every club has it's show pony lovers and Port Adelaide do as well. The difference was that at Port Adelaide, these types of fans were humoured because after all, they were Port supporters but they were never ever taken seriously because if they were, then the great Port Adelaide champions like Tim Ginever, Paul Northeast, Ivan Eckermann and a whole raft of other great but "unfashionable" players would never have played for and won Grand Finals for Port.

Statistics aren't the be all and end all of a players effort and importance to a team. S. Gray may not get s**t loads of stats depending on what role he is asked to perform but he always carries out his role. His run and application is second to none and he never shirks a contest or lairises, he doesn't hear footsteps. Contrast that to Burton or the "champion" R. Grey. Burton has improved somewhat but he still is a weak as piss in a contest and R.Gray never followed an opponent in his f****ng life and when it is possible to take a mark, a vital part of Australian Rules Football, much of the time that **** lets the ball go over his head so he can run onto it and play a soccer type "wall pass" with one of his bamboozled team mates - that's not footy but he tries it on every week! S. Gray stands under the ball and marks and gets his block knocked off and R.Gray does not perform the fundamentals of the game. All players make mistakes but these mistakes can be tolerated if few and far between if they are made in the act of performing the basics of Australian Rules footy. R.Gray makes blunders trying to be a circus clown, by lairising and yet he gets away with no criticism consistently and others who stuff up in the act of trying to perform a vital football skill are smashed by the same people who turn a blind eye to R. Gray's rubbish.

R.Gray belongs in the top 20% of players who have outstanding natural ability but that should never preclude him from criticism when he reverts to circus clown crap and we even have youngsters like Butters trying to emulate him. R. Gray and that other "champion" who now plays for Hawthorn, these two "Champions" in a finals game against West Coast a couple of years ago, f***ed up by trying to be cute and lairising in the final quarter when the game was in our keeping and instead of doing the disciplined thing and killing the ball and the contest, these "champions" gifted it to West Coast. Where was the outage? Where was "learning form your mistakes"? Nowhere because R.Gray continues to mix his astonishing good play with s**t that you would not expect a rank amateur to do and this is one of the major reasons we are a piss weak club with piss weak players. We now have show pony lovers and other assorted pretentious gits in positions of authority, who protect and even laud crap and we wonder why the players can't even get themselves up for every game, why they just look at each other when the going is ferocious and they are behind. We are like the North Adelaide teams of the 1980's - pretty but soft as steaming s**t.

Unless we become ruthless and call a spade a spade, drag and drop players for lairising, for not chasing their opponent, for not doing what is expected from a league footballer, let alone a Port Adelaide footballer, regardless of their name or reputation as a "star", then we are the new St.Kida - always promising but deceiving and failing. Go no further than the dropping of Dursma to facilitate the tagger and the retention of Butters in the team. Who in f***'s name came up with that astonishing decision? I'll tell ya, the same pretentious gits who reckon that being pretty trumps hard-at-it footballers and if we had had proper coaches, like Jack Cahill as an example, then R. Gray would have been a much better footballer and therefore, a far greater contributor to a team that would have been s**t scared to lose. The team is sad when they lose, of course, but that is far different to what is in the mind during the week leading into a game than what used to be the norm at Port Adelaide. Port players were scared to lose, this bunch just "go-with-the-flow" and if it doesn't work out, then they are sad ....oohhh, poor darlings.

We have exceptionally skilled and talented players but these players are not versed in the Port Adelaide way of going about their business and this is as a direct result of players being given "a chance" when they f**k up big time, like letting the ball go over their head when a blind man with short arms would have marked it and not only once, time and time again but still in the side, not even dragged for f**k's sake! Players are still and have always been, "bricks with ears" and when these brick think it's OK to do this s**t, they will keep doing it. When they don't prepare themselves for upcoming games and produce crap like that, no amount of band aid psychology is going to fix that type of s**t nor will trading out and trading in players.

Mental toughness, uncompromising commitment and application, discipline are not acquired overnight. There needs to be an uncompromising approach to maintaining the highest standard and that needs to be a part of the training regime. Physical and mental toughness are not exclusive to one another and should not be treated as seperate "subjects" but regardless of how good the methodologies are, if standards concerning the execution of skills and of play are not enforced and enforced ruthlessly, then everything else is just a waste of time.

Every club has it's show pony lovers and Port Adelaide do as well. The difference was that at Port Adelaide, these types of fans were humoured because after all, they were Port supporters but they were never ever taken seriously because if they were, then the great Port Adelaide champions like Tim Ginever, Paul Northeast, Ivan Eckermann and a whole raft of other great but "unfashionable" players would never have played for and won Grand Finals for Port.

Statistics aren't the be all and end all of a players effort and importance to a team. S. Gray may not get s**t loads of stats depending on what role he is asked to perform but he always carries out his role. His run and application is second to none and he never shirks a contest or lairises, he doesn't hear footsteps. Contrast that to Burton or the "champion" R. Grey. Burton has improved somewhat but he still is a weak as piss in a contest and R.Gray never followed an opponent in his f****ng life and when it is possible to take a mark, a vital part of Australian Rules Football, much of the time that **** lets the ball go over his head so he can run onto it and play a soccer type "wall pass" with one of his bamboozled team mates - that's not footy but he tries it on every week! S. Gray stands under the ball and marks and gets his block knocked off and R.Gray does not perform the fundamentals of the game. All players make mistakes but these mistakes can be tolerated if few and far between if they are made in the act of performing the basics of Australian Rules footy. R.Gray makes blunders trying to be a circus clown, by lairising and yet he gets away with no criticism consistently and others who stuff up in the act of trying to perform a vital football skill are smashed by the same people who turn a blind eye to R. Gray's rubbish.

R.Gray belongs in the top 20% of players who have outstanding natural ability but that should never preclude him from criticism when he reverts to circus clown crap and we even have youngsters like Butters trying to emulate him. R. Gray and that other "champion" who now plays for Hawthorn, these two "Champions" in a finals game against West Coast a couple of years ago, f***ed up by trying to be cute and lairising in the final quarter when the game was in our keeping and instead of doing the disciplined thing and killing the ball and the contest, these "champions" gifted it to West Coast. Where was the outage? Where was "learning form your mistakes"? Nowhere because R.Gray continues to mix his astonishing good play with s**t that you would not expect a rank amateur to do and this is one of the major reasons we are a piss weak club with piss weak players. We now have show pony lovers and other assorted pretentious gits in positions of authority, who protect and even laud crap and we wonder why the players can't even get themselves up for every game, why they just look at each other when the going is ferocious and they are behind. We are like the North Adelaide teams of the 1980's - pretty but soft as steaming s**t.

Unless we become ruthless and call a spade a spade, drag and drop players for lairising, for not chasing their opponent, for not doing what is expected from a league footballer, let alone a Port Adelaide footballer, regardless of their name or reputation as a "star", then we are the new St.Kida - always promising but deceiving and failing. Go no further than the dropping of Dursma to facilitate the tagger and the retention of Butters in the team. Who in f***'s name came up with that astonishing decision? I'll tell ya, the same pretentious gits who reckon that being pretty trumps hard-at-it footballers and if we had had proper coaches, like Jack Cahill as an example, then R. Gray would have been a much better footballer and therefore, a far greater contributor to a team that would have been s**t scared to lose. The team is sad when they lose, of course, but that is far different to what is in the mind during the week leading into a game than what used to be the norm at Port Adelaide. Port players were scared to lose, this bunch just "go-with-the-flow" and if it doesn't work out, then they are sad ....oohhh, poor darlings.

We have exceptionally skilled and talented players but these players are not versed in the Port Adelaide way of going about their business and this is as a direct result of players being given "a chance" when they f**k up big time, like letting the ball go over their head when a blind man with short arms would have marked it and not only once, time and time again but still in the side, not even dragged for f**k's sake! Players are still and have always been, "bricks with ears" and when these brick think it's OK to do this s**t, they will keep doing it. When they don't prepare themselves for upcoming games and produce crap like that, no amount of band aid psychology is going to fix that type of s**t nor will trading out and trading in players.

Mental toughness, uncompromising commitment and application, discipline are not acquired overnight. There needs to be an uncompromising approach to maintaining the highest standard and that needs to be a part of the training regime. Physical and mental toughness are not exclusive to one another and should not be treated as seperate "subjects" but regardless of how good the methodologies are, if standards concerning the execution of skills and of play are not enforced and enforced ruthlessly, then everything else is just a waste of time.
Please exit the forum.

We need two classy inside midfielders that also love playing the game with toughness and can consistently rise above the rest of the downhill skiers when things are going bad. Just typical footballers that get the job done. The Shuey and Neale types, Carr, P Burgoyne, James. These types. They play normal football with normal skillsets and normal football smarts. Players that are consistently good are consistent because they are good.

Wow. I agree with a lot of this.

I'd love to read what you thought of Dixon's last kick at goal on the weekend?
Wines' kick against the crows last year?
Wines' skiing?

Are these demonstrations of a poor culture?

Wow. I agree with a lot of this.

1 - I'd love to read what you thought of Dixon's last kick at goal on the weekend? A player who was defeated
2 -
Wines' kick against the crows last year? A player who is very very poorly skilled
3 -
Wines' skiing? A player who completely lacks the professionalism required to be an elite athlete and is not fit to be captain

Are these demonstrations of a poor culture? 3 is a complete lack of professionalism, which is probably a result of the culture around the club

Refer my comments above

I know I am outsider but growing up in Adelaide as a Centrals supporter, I hated Port Adelaide & was extremely jealous of their success in the SANFL. Despite that I could not help but admire the club & the players that represented it. The fanatical attack on the ball & opposition, the willingness to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team & their refusal to accept defeat even when it seemed they were fighting a losing battle.
They won several premierships against more talented opponents because of their fierce desire to win & unfailing team spirit. I remember them thrashing really good Glenelg & North Adelaide sides in the 80's because they were just too physical, hard & intimidating.
They had players that were prepared to die for the jumper but unfortunately this Port team & club is not the same. Most of the players come from interstate & other SANFL clubs & do not have that inbred fanatical win at all costs culture behind them when they play for the club.
Although skill is important, it will only take you so far & to win premierships you need a certain degree of mongrel & controlled aggression.
I am not a Port supporter but as a South Australian I was extremely proud of them when they beat Brisbane in 2004. They seem a long way off that at the moment.

There's rose coloured glasses....then there is whatever the hell this is.

Please exit the forum.
Why? You want to be like one of those football commentators who say on a regular basis, "Gee that's not normal for Robbie Gray!" when he f***ss up and not have pointed out to you that if it's "not normal", then how come you say this every other week and have been doing so for years?

I know I am outsider but growing up in Adelaide as a Centrals supporter, I hated Port Adelaide & was extremely jealous of their success in the SANFL. Despite that I could not help but admire the club & the players that represented it. The fanatical attack on the ball & opposition, the willingness to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team & their refusal to accept defeat even when it seemed they were fighting a losing battle.
They won several premierships against more talented opponents because of their fierce desire to win & unfailing team spirit. I remember them thrashing really good Glenelg & North Adelaide sides in the 80's because they were just too physical, hard & intimidating.
They had players that were prepared to die for the jumper but unfortunately this Port team & club is not the same. Most of the players come from interstate & other SANFL clubs & do not have that inbred fanatical win at all costs culture behind them when they play for the club.
Although skill is important, it will only take you so far & to win premierships you need a certain degree of mongrel & controlled aggression.
I am not a Port supporter but as a South Australian I was extremely proud of them when they beat Brisbane in 2004. They seem a long way off that at the moment.

Really good point you made about “most of the players come from interstate”

Last year the club posted a video of Ken speaking to Butters on draft night and it’s stuck with me.

Ken said, and I quote word for word, “we’re all Victorian boys...most of the boys we’ve got are [Victorian]”.

40 seconds in

Sure, maybe Kens just trying to make Butters feel comfortable? But I see as more evidence that Ken and the playing group have no idea what it means to be Port Adelaide.

All the honour for playing for the guernsey, all the respect for the tradition...gone.

I guess it’s not even Ken or the playing group’s fault - they didn’t grow up watching Port Adelaide. They’ve never been told what Port Adelaide is. Nor have they been sat down and been demanded of Port Adelaide standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back