List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get one thing this year's trade period it will hopefully be an established goal kicking forward. I know they do not grow on trees but we need a Cameron, Walters or Betts type who can kick 50+ goals a season. As it is we have only three players in the top 70 AFL goal kickers and our highest ranked player is Connor Rozee with just 20 goals from 17 matches.

I have no doubt that we have potential on our list in Rozee, Farrell, Butters and Woodcock but an established goal kicker would be useful while we wait to see if these players develop.

Dixon is an enigma, was he a super forward at GC? He’s a fit tall guy that provides a dream. Look at his patterns compared to Lunch today.

People can get sucked in all they like about Gray and Boak. But facts are our history connected with them sucks, they are part of our culture of s**tness. Are they good players? Maybe, but maybe they need to be good players elsewhere!
I like lunch.

If we get one thing this year's trade period it will hopefully be an established goal kicking forward. I know they do not grow on trees but we need a Cameron, Walters or Betts type who can kick 50+ goals a season. As it is we have only three players in the top 70 AFL goal kickers and our highest ranked player is Connor Rozee with just 20 goals from 17 matches.

I have no doubt that we have potential on our list in Rozee, Farrell, Butters and Woodcock but an established goal kicker would be useful while we wait to see if these players develop.
No goal kicking forward exists, who can kick a bag of goals over a season, with the supply from our mid field.
Rockliff is our best mid, kicking the ball forward> That is how bad the rest are...........

No goal kicking forward exists, who can kick a bag of goals over a season, with the supply from our mid field.
Rockliff is our best mid, kicking the ball forward> That is how bad the rest are...........

If that is our outlook we may as well shut up shop until Ken is gone. We all know Ken and Bassett's game plan is ****ed but we have to try and work with it.

I would settle for signing some one who can kick straight. Some one who could consistently kick 3.1 instead of 1.3 would be a fine start. Do that and we would probably have a 50+ kicker.

We need to target players with elite skills this off season via free agency and the draft. You watch Essendon on Friday night and their handballs hit targets, and create their run out of defence, you watch our game and we miss targets religiously by hand and foot, it costs us goals and games. I don't know who is available to fix it, but we are screaming for that. We are relatively well stocked with young key position players, as long as Hinkley doesn't waste them. But we have to nail the draft and free agency to fill the void left by Wingard and Polec leaving. The longer the season has gone it's shown up how much we have missed those two. Duursma, Butters & Rozee have been great in patches and will fill that void in time, but it won't be for another 2/3 seasons and they'll likely suffer the second year blues at times next year.

We can't go into next season with a side made up of grunt only inside mids again otherwise we will just be a worse version of what we are.

Many of us ( me included ) enjoy taking the p*ss out of jerker Jenkins, but I suspect his goal return per game is much higher than Charlies, but I believe the jury is still out on who is the better player given kern's game plan which requires Dixon to cover more ground than the early settlers just to get a kick, and then when he does he often has to bang it high to the likes of an outnumbered, and out sized Sam Gray.

The other issues with Charlie, ie the concrete hands of a couple of seasons back, and the continued running under the ball of more recent times may be eyesight issues, but surely the club would have checked that out before they gave up the deeds to the ranch to get him.

Basically we need some leaders as much as Gold Coast does.

I’d be happy to start our season with forwards of

Rozee, Frampton, Marshall, Butters, Ladhams big name mid and poach an experienced mid for a quality team.

Mids of SPP, Houston, Atley, Duursma, Wines, Lycett big name mid and poach an experienced mid for a quality team.

Defenders Howard, Cluery, Jonas, DBJ, Garner, Hartlett assuming he misses the purge.

We would have salary cap space galore for smart recruiting and experience players that have shown us they can deliver.

Not very nice I know but full rebuild giving us hope

Times have changed and we need to accept it and move on, however this is one thread that would have worked better years back when boards weren't so insular and opposition posters would add their opinions, good bad or otherwise.

I'd love to see a similar thread on the main board as right now I have no idea if our list is anywhere as good as my rose coloured glasses tell me it is.

Will a new coach make all the difference or have we got our recruiting wrong all along.

Frankly I have no idea.
Something isn't working and the annoying part is that the thing that has taken the biggest hit has been the care factor, and that is just ... wrong.

Times have changed and we need to accept it and move on, however this is one thread that would have worked better years back when boards weren't so insular and opposition posters would add their opinions, good bad or otherwise.

I'd love to see a similar thread on the main board as right now I have no idea if our list is anywhere as good as my rose coloured glasses tell me it is.

Will a new coach make all the difference or have we got our recruiting wrong all along.

Frankly I have no idea.
Something isn't working and the annoying part is that the thing that has taken the biggest hit has been the care factor, and that is just ... wrong.
I've come to the conclusion our list isn't very good, using the past 5 years ladder results as proof. A good side/list doesn't finish where we have the past 5 seasons. So for me we are just a average side at best, no different to the St.Kilda's etc. We will have a good win here or there but as a whole we are a middle of the rung side. The evidence points that way.

For me we need a full rebuild, we can't continue to try and rebuild and contend at the same time. Historically it doesn't work, has been proven time and time again, and we aren't in the position to do what Hawthorn and Geelong do to add big name free agents to top up our list. We have to be rebuilding the list through youth like what Brisbane has done, then the recruits will want to come to something they can see is on the up. At the moment we are just a average side, and it won't be changing for a while I don't feel with the list we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if it is our list then is Hinkley the scapegoat?

The amount of games over Hinkley's tenure where Robbie Gray or Travis Boak has grabbed our flailing side by the scruff of the neck and dragged us over the line.

"Coach killers" I couldn't disagree more regarding Gray and Boak.

Don't disagree about Westhoff. Hartlett and Broadbent go missing but they don't exactly cost us games through a lack of effort or obvious mistakes.

I don't think moving Dixon on is a good idea if the coach is going because under a decent forward structure he'll find his mojo again. It's really difficult to rate any of our forwards when the structure and setups have been so bad for so long. If we traded Charlie to say, Geelong, he'd probably win the Coleman next year.

Absolutely, without those two I hate to imagine how bad we’d of been over the Hinkley era. More times than everyone else combined one of those two have won games we’d otherwise of lost.

The only negative thing you can say about those guys is without them Hinkley wouldn’t of lasted this long.

No. He is the architect of it. The club got the type of player in he wanted, he failed miserably with what he asked for.
I recall when people in here used to say that Williams should have concentrated on coaching and leave the recruiting to the people who were paid to do it.

If we really did trade for players that Hinkley identified is Hinkley at fault or the club?

Input is one thing, too much influence is another.

I recall when people in here used to say that Williams should have concentrated on coaching and leave the recruiting to the people who were paid to do it.

If we really did trade for players that Hinkley identified is Hinkley at fault or the club?

Input is one thing, too much influence is another.
It'd be both really.

To sum the whole thing up we did what Fremantle did in 2006 I think it was. They made a preliminary final they lost to Sydney, and loaded up with Dean Solomon, Tarrant and those types from memory, it didn't work and they ended up where we are now. We are in the same spot since 2017 when we added Watts, Motlop and Rockliff. We misread how good we were and have gone backwards.

I figure its:

- Hinkley blueprint for team
- Board/CEO approve it
- Recruiters work out how to adress it
- Fans notice something is wrong
- Assess cause of failure
- Turns out blueprint was ****ed
- Club all have a laugh

It'd be both really. ...
Yeah and IMO going back to having serious financial difficulties by sacking Hinkley whilst ignoring the rest of the pie is not the best solution.

Yeah and IMO going back to having serious financial difficulties by sacking Hinkley whilst ignoring the rest of the pie is not the best solution.
What is the solution? We aren't in any better position financially really, and if we lose members we will be in the same spot financially as we would by keeping Hinkley. If we lost 10,000 members for arguments sake where does that stack up financially with paying Hinkley out, our crowds are dwindling so that affects the bottom line as well. It is the wrong thread for this discussion I admit to.

I figure its:

- Hinkley blueprint for team
- Board/CEO approve it
- Recruiters work out how to adress it
- Fans notice something is wrong
- Assess cause of failure
- Turns out blueprint was f’ed
- Club all have a laugh
:thumbsu:

For mine the part that is possibly missing is that the club needs to have a blueprint or guidelines of what a coach needs to work towards.
We kinda of do, but it's coming across as being work hard and keep the AFL happy.

What is the solution? We aren't in any better position financially really, and if we lose members we will be in the same spot financially as we would by keeping Hinkley. If we lost 10,000 members for arguments sake where does that stack up financially with paying Hinkley out, our crowds are dwindling so that affects the bottom line as well. It is the wrong thread for this discussion I admit to.
IMO the solution has to be more than just change coaches as we seem to have multiple issues.
Issue with sponsors.
A number of our better players close to retirement or at an age where their outputs will diminish.
Inconsistent outputs.
Inconsistent development.
Backup players struggling to get gametime even when our main players are injured.
Crowds dwindling.
Ever changing gameplans. Maybe not true but that is what it comes across as.

I'm sure the list could be added to.
It looks as if Hinkley has it sweet but isn't able to get the most out of the team. Dunno, perhaps that too is just appearance.

It's not the list. It hasn't been the list. Look at the premiers over the last few years. None of those sides had a better list than us, they just hit form and had luck with injuries at the pointy end of the season.

We've had significant and obvious selection and gameplan issues for Hinkley's entire tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back