List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our first generation of players (Tredrea, C.Cornes, Francou, Carr, James, Wanganeen, Burgoynes, Dew, Primus, Lade etc) were a golden age in which our ability to perform in finals was rightly questioned. If not for 25 September 2004, if not for S.Burgoyne pressuring Guerra in the final seconds a week before, it would have been a wasted generation. One day and one minute can turn a generation from chokers to champions.

Our second generation (Boak, R.Gray, Westhoff, Wines, Ryder, Dixon, Jonas, Hartlett, Broadbent, Ebert etc) lies at the precipice, much like the first generation did after the 2003 Prelim. The questions are not about choking or about ability, but about hunger and consistency.

FishingRick's argument is not well put, but you cannot ignore the facts- this generation has not delivered. Boak and Robbie are part of that generation. Time is running out for it too.

A generation can fail for a few reasons- 1. ability, 2. hunger, 3. nerve/composure 4. luck. I am of the view, that should this generation fail, history will record that it didn't have the hunger necessary to succeed. Its best is good enough and this has been demonstrated numerous times. But hunger is the key to getting the best out of yourself on a consistent basis. That we don't have and Boak and Robbie are not immune to this harsh but fair criticism.

My point is not new. I questioned this group's hunger after the 2014 Prelim. The next 5 seasons appear to have confirmed my fears. This generation of players don't want it enough to get the best out of themselves regularly enough.

This generation probably has only 1 more year to change its epitaph.

While I partially agree with your point of view (essentially that hunger must be questioned) I do believe that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

In 2003 we lost Stevens, in 2004 Primus and Francou to injury. Still we continued to top the table and set ourselves up for the finals.

Why? The wealth and depth of talent that we had in our squad. Not only did we have replacements for our top echelon players, there was an unholy fight to get into the team each week. Looking at the squad there was not really a weak link in it.

Take the 5 weakest links out of that squad and compare them to the 5 weakest links in our squad and it is obvious why we can't deliver consistently.

Say for example the interchange and possibly Bishop. Kingsley, Cassissi, Dew and Schofield. Compare them to ours. I'll go with SGray, Bonner, Motlop, Westhoff and Sutcliffe.

All of the 2004 players would be in the starting 22 of almost every other club. 3 of our current players would be lucky to be on the list of most other clubs. I'll leave you to decide which.

Add the gameplan, the selection policies, and Hinkley's game day shortcomings and you have a team that get what they deserve.

Retire / Trade / Delist
NameAge in 20GP 19career Games
Ryder3212238Lost his No.1 Ruck spot, Have Hayes and hopefully signing Ladhams banging down the door in the SANFL. Trade
Motlop2914170We need some speed but not the inconsistency. Cut our loses Trade / Delist
Broadbent305166If we are serious about moving forward Broady is unfortunately one who has to go. Would prefer to put games into Garner
Rockliff3013185Another that again if we are serious should be moved on via trade or delist. Have younger players who need to develop
McKenzie280107Not a KPB, List is crying out for more KPB. Delist
Trengove29089Papers well marked when Sutcliffe leap frogged him. Unfortunalty Delist
Bonner231437Replaceable, Has some currency even as a pick upgrade. Trade
Johnson23111So much talent so little will…. Delist
Westhoff3415263Champion for us over the years but his time has come. Retire
Hewett2300Delist
S Gray281591Trade for what ever currency he has and get games into farrell, cox etc
Sutcliffe282106Never understood this. Delist

Retain
SPP221553Would persist. Still young and raw. Feel he is unfairly judged at times
Burton231461Has been excellent, great foot skills
Ebert3011246Start up forward and if he drops away in form, could be his last season
Hartlett306159Should have been captain, retains his HBF spot
R Gray3214213Hopefully less reliant on him being our spark. Leave up forward and play his career by form
Boak3216259Keep in the guts and like gray keep him going as long as his form warrents
Marshall22616Pump some games into him with OTHER genuine tall forwards.
Frampton2423As above. Gove him an extended run in the AFL. See if he can clunk marks with other forwards around him
Amon251254Surpirse packet of the year. Took Polecs spot beautifully
Wines269138Poor Year. Goes Missing way to often. Doesn’t use his size for such a big man
Clurey261777Rock solid
Butters201616Great energy, will find more of it as he develops
Rozee201717Sensational first year, one more year up forward with bursts in the Midfield
Duursma201616Couldn’t ask for more. His run and endurance is elite already. Will only get better and cement his wing spot
Dixon305131People forget his injury already. Struggled but who could blame him with out inside 50 delievery and set up. Needs another couple talls next to him
Watts292174Played Well across HB. Played the Westhoff role well. Let him roam at the beginning of 2020 and persist as form warrnets
Farrell21712Needs to Find more of it but an excellent kick. Hope to build on his 19
Hayes2100Came back well from the ACL could be pushing lycett by years end
Garner2133One I think needs games pumped into. Great foot skills
Drew2299Been unlucky to only have played 9 games this year
Lycett281691Beat Ryder for the no1 spot and had some sensational games. Needs to keep improving as a few young guys by year end could catch him
Atley2214Wouldn’t be surprised if he asked for a trade. Above SANFL
Howard241444Swung around all over the place. Need to settle him down back
DBJ251781Excellent year. Has become very versitile
Mayes260101would persist for 1 more year as depth. Could have played a couple games
Woodcock2000Starting to find SANFL Form. Persist
Patmore2100Signed up again
Ladhams2222Hopefully Signs with us and sees a new coach who doesn’t hate talls
Lienert26713Reasonable Depth Cover
Grundy2000Young and Very raw.
Jonas2913134Up and down year. Needs to find some leadership
Houston231655What a year! If it wasn’t for Boak would be our B&F. Could become a genuine Mid
Fredrick2000Persist
Cox2100Like the look of him, finds the goals. Could push for selection if he wasn’t injured
Pudney2000Speeeeeed. Persisit

My 2020 Round 1 Line up
BBurtonJonasHoward
HBWattsClureyHartlett
CDuursmaWinesAmon
HFRozeeMarshallEbert
FRgrayFramptonDixon
FolLycettBoakHouston
I/cButtersDBJSPPGarner
EmgHayesDrewLadhamsFarrell

Coaches
Hinkley - Out
Voss - Out
Bassett - Out
Montgomary - defence coach
Schofield - head coach
Brogan - Ruck
alan Richardson - Senior Assistant
Midfield Coach ??

What We need

We have huge holes in the list
We need at least 1 maybe 2 Key Position backman developing
We need SPEED and hopefully with good kicking skills
If we sign Ladhams ruckman are covered but need another Key forward
I wouldnt bring in any free agents or trade in players unless something spectacular came up
Some solid Father sons seem to be coming up, do what we can to place ourselves with picks to grab them while keeping our first rounders

If we had played the above 22 for most of the year and were sitting in the 9th to 13th area id have been satisfied. pump games into players, development etc. But with the senior players we have not being in the 8 is a disgrace and should be the final nail in the hinkley coffin

Retire / Trade / Delist
NameAge in 20GP 19career Games

Ryder3212238Lost his No.1 Ruck spot, Have Hayes and hopefully signing Ladhams banging down the door in the SANFL. Trade

Motlop2914170We need some speed but not the inconsistency. Cut our loses Trade / Delist

Broadbent305166If we are serious about moving forward Broady is unfortunately one who has to go. Would prefer to put games into Garner

Rockliff3013185Another that again if we are serious should be moved on via trade or delist. Have younger players who need to develop

McKenzie280107Not a KPB, List is crying out for more KPB. Delist

Trengove29089Papers well marked when Sutcliffe leap frogged him. Unfortunalty Delist

Bonner231437Replaceable, Has some currency even as a pick upgrade. Trade

Johnson23111So much talent so little will…. Delist

Westhoff3415263Champion for us over the years but his time has come. Retire

Hewett2300Delist

S Gray281591Trade for what ever currency he has and get games into farrell, cox etc

Sutcliffe282106Never understood this. Delist

Retain
SPP221553Would persist. Still young and raw. Feel he is unfairly judged at times
Burton231461Has been excellent, great foot skills

Ebert3011246Start up forward and if he drops away in form, could be his last season
Hartlett306159Should have been captain, retains his HBF spot
R Gray3214213Hopefully less reliant on him being our spark. Leave up forward and play his career by form
Boak3216259Keep in the guts and like gray keep him going as long as his form warrents

Marshall22616Pump some games into him with OTHER genuine tall forwards.
Frampton2423As above. Gove him an extended run in the AFL. See if he can clunk marks with other forwards around him
Amon251254Surpirse packet of the year. Took Polecs spot beautifully
Wines269138Poor Year. Goes Missing way to often. Doesn’t use his size for such a big man
Clurey261777Rock solid
Butters201616Great energy, will find more of it as he develops

Rozee201717Sensational first year, one more year up forward with bursts in the Midfield
Duursma201616Couldn’t ask for more. His run and endurance is elite already. Will only get better and cement his wing spot
Dixon305131People forget his injury already. Struggled but who could blame him with out inside 50 delievery and set up. Needs another couple talls next to him
Watts292174Played Well across HB. Played the Westhoff role well. Let him roam at the beginning of 2020 and persist as form warrnets
Farrell21712Needs to Find more of it but an excellent kick. Hope to build on his 19
Hayes2100Came back well from the ACL could be pushing lycett by years end

Garner2133One I think needs games pumped into. Great foot skills
Drew2299Been unlucky to only have played 9 games this year
Lycett281691Beat Ryder for the no1 spot and had some sensational games. Needs to keep improving as a few young guys by year end could catch him
Atley2214Wouldn’t be surprised if he asked for a trade. Above SANFL

Howard241444Swung around all over the place. Need to settle him down back
DBJ251781Excellent year. Has become very versitile
Mayes260101would persist for 1 more year as depth. Could have played a couple games
Woodcock2000Starting to find SANFL Form. Persist
Patmore2100Signed up again
Ladhams2222Hopefully Signs with us and sees a new coach who doesn’t hate talls

Lienert26713Reasonable Depth Cover
Grundy2000Young and Very raw.
Jonas2913134Up and down year. Needs to find some leadership
Houston231655What a year! If it wasn’t for Boak would be our B&F. Could become a genuine Mid

Fredrick2000Persist

Cox2100Like the look of him, finds the goals. Could push for selection if he wasn’t injured
Pudney2000Speeeeeed. Persisit

My 2020 Round 1 Line up
BBurtonJonasHoward
HBWattsClureyHartlett
CDuursmaWinesAmon
HFRozeeMarshallEbert
FRgrayFramptonDixon
FolLycettBoakHouston
I/cButtersDBJSPPGarner
EmgHayesDrewLadhamsFarrell

Coaches
Hinkley - Out
Voss - Out
Bassett - Out
Montgomary - defence coach
Schofield - head coach
Brogan - Ruck
alan Richardson - Senior Assistant
Midfield Coach ??

What We need

We have huge holes in the list
We need at least 1 maybe 2 Key Position backman developing
We need SPEED and hopefully with good kicking skills
If we sign Ladhams ruckman are covered but need another Key forward
I wouldnt bring in any free agents or trade in players unless something spectacular came up
Some solid Father sons seem to be coming up, do what we can to place ourselves with picks to grab them while keeping our first rounders

If we had played the above 22 for most of the year and were sitting in the 9th to 13th area id have been satisfied. pump games into players, development etc. But with the senior players we have not being in the 8 is a disgrace and should be the final nail in the hinkley coffin
I like this mostly. I'd swap to keep Rockliff and Trade/Retire/Delist Ebert. If he's not playing as an inside mid then his disposal is not up to scratch. We can't talk about our poor skills then keep on one of the worst, just because of his surname.

Our first generation of players (Tredrea, C.Cornes, Francou, Carr, James, Wanganeen, Burgoynes, Dew, Primus, Lade etc) were a golden age in which our ability to perform in finals was rightly questioned. If not for 25 September 2004, if not for S.Burgoyne pressuring Guerra in the final seconds a week before, it would have been a wasted generation.
Bit rough there pinging Roger James and not Shaun when Roger’s first quarter in the prelim was so huge and against the tide of Fraser Gehrig to 100 goals

Bit rough there pinging Roger James and not Shaun when Roger’s first quarter in the prelim was so huge and against the tide of Fraser Gehrig to 100 goals
Yep, his disposal was poor, but without Roger there'd have been no game to save. Roger James would have to be close to our most underrated player in the AFL era.

Last edited:
Hinkley and the players are equally culpable. Happy for any and all to be traded.

On a side note, should we be seriously concerned about Ebert?
Significant knee injury and concussion this year. Slowing down, questionable role in the side and is he best 22 anymore?
Ebert has been very good up forward this year. He has been serviceable at least. I would say he's still got another year in him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ebert has been very good up forward this year. He has been serviceable at least. I would say he's still got another year in him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
When fit, Ebert has been our most consistent forward this season.

That’s probably a worse reflection on our forward line in general than it is a glowing endorsement of Ebo but he’s a long way from being left out of our best 22.

I agree some of his games have been good but I’m concerned about his durability - a bad concussion and a knee injury this year.
True but I'm my opinion still worth another year.

In terms of our kids I feel I depth is good. I would love to see more of Atley at the top level as well.

When fit, Ebert has been our most consistent forward this season.

That’s probably a worse reflection on our forward line in general than it is a glowing endorsement of Ebo but he’s a long way from being left out of our best 22.

Yep, Ebo is our best forward at the moment.

On a related note, it's round 19 and first year player Connor Rozee is leading our goal kicking with 20. Lol. And we're the #1 team for inside 50s. Double lol.

I agree some of his games have been good but I’m concerned about his durability - a bad concussion and a knee injury this year.

Up until this year he's been the absolute model for durability.

I'm prepared to back him in for 2020. I think a few posters on here had written off the Ebert as a forward thing before it even started, but yeah, when fit he's shown more up there this season than anyone else on our list bar Rozee.

On a related note, it's round 19 and first year player Connor Rozee is leading our goal kicking with 20. Lol. And we're the #1 team for inside 50s. Double lol.
That really says a lot about the quality of our entries, the way we set up and the targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's like Hinkley genuinely believes you get a point for every 30 seconds you lock the ball in your forward 50 and therefore 3.5 mins inside 50 is better than a goal.

Heard a whisper that Sam gray won’t be offered a contract, which is very surprising considering he has been one of Hinkley favourites

As we heard a few weeks ago about Fantasia, but apparently it’s spot on and Fantasia will be at port next year. Gee I hope so he’s exactly what we need some run and carry with great skills.

Heard a whisper that Sam gray won’t be offered a contract, which is very surprising considering he has been one of Hinkley favourites

As we heard a few weeks ago about Fantasia, but apparently it’s spot on and Fantasia will be at port next year. Gee I hope so he’s exactly what we need some run and carry with great skills.
Then one must wonder why he is playing this week. Especially on the back of having of having no impact last week.

RE: Sam Gray, about a month old news.

If Fantasia requested a trade despite publicly going on record saying he wants to stay (and being contracted) then he'll be enemy No.1 at Essendon.

you are more than welcome to compare the last half season between the two. One has been consistent, the other has been injured 3 times and done * all.

If Sam is gone, then Ken must be gone too, surely, and why play Sam every game and not give time to other up and coming players?

While I partially agree with your point of view (essentially that hunger must be questioned) I do believe that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

In 2003 we lost Stevens, in 2004 Primus and Francou to injury. Still we continued to top the table and set ourselves up for the finals.

Why? The wealth and depth of talent that we had in our squad. Not only did we have replacements for our top echelon players, there was an unholy fight to get into the team each week. Looking at the squad there was not really a weak link in it.

Take the 5 weakest links out of that squad and compare them to the 5 weakest links in our squad and it is obvious why we can't deliver consistently.

Say for example the interchange and possibly Bishop. Kingsley, Cassissi, Dew and Schofield. Compare them to ours. I'll go with SGray, Bonner, Motlop, Westhoff and Sutcliffe.

All of the 2004 players would be in the starting 22 of almost every other club. 3 of our current players would be lucky to be on the list of most other clubs. I'll leave you to decide which.

Add the gameplan, the selection policies, and Hinkley's game day shortcomings and you have a team that get what they deserve.

Im grateful i got to see this team growing up. So weird to think we had a team so elite.

Add in as well not only was a weakest players better, we had more top end talent which were so much better than what we have now.

I've been a Port supporter my whole life and even I wouldn't want to play for Port if Hinkley stays coaching. If I were a small forward that would be doubly true

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've been a Port supporter my whole life and even I wouldn't want to play for Port if Hinkley stays coaching. If I were a small forward that would be doubly true

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah but this is saying Port are the ones not wanting SGray not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back